My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cod have flicked up big time with advanced warfare . Consoles freezing up . X boxes geting ridiculous load times , if it loads at all . 10 hrs + some have suffered . Spawn failure , glitches and consoles crashing and losing bonus weopon codes / dlc .

Not to mention alienating most of the cod fans by going for a future fps .

Guns that never need reloading , pulse weopons and to add insult to injury the weopons are so unbalanced that everyone is running around with the same two weopons as the rest are pretty useless .

Defo a game for 12 year olds to play nowadays !!!

To be fair, the guns that 'don't need reloading' can overheat and require you replacing some battery pack thing or something so it's basically a reload.  Sure you can just pace your shots so it never overheats but that's not really feasible.  And if you do that, it's practically like doing a tactical reload on a conventional gun.

Can't say I've encountered any serious problems on PC.  A few frame rate drops occasionally and taking a while to load a game, ending up joining a few seconds after start despite being on fibre.

I find there are a mix of guns being used.  Sure there are a few tossers running around with the overpowered laser but luckily they are few and far between. Quite enough normal guns that will happily alienate.

To be fair, the guns that 'don't need reloading' can overheat and require you replacing some battery pack thing or something so it's basically a reload.

Halo called, it would like the ideas for half of it's armoury back, the one they have been using for the past decade and a half.

Also lasers? The only laser I want in a non-100% sci-fi setting is this one: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:Goldeneye_007_N64_Military_Laser_Watch.jpg

'FireKnife'

Well, space invaders came up with the cover system and also the capability, for weapons that don't need to be reloaded.

You what makes a decent game these days (same as a movie) a decent story line that doesn't make you go 'No *fruitcage* way'. Game play hasn't changed much since the turn of the century, so becomes a mute point. It's the story that matters and, like a micheal bay movie, COD don't care for a story that is well thought out (the odd plot hole is acceptable) and executed.

Yeah, that's my rant for the day. Nothing wrong with a blockbuster popcorn movie, but it's all been done already, just don't try to pass it up as 'special'.

Meh.  Halo can suck it.  Non magazine fed weaponry was hardly invented by Halo.  They simply copied.

I like Halo alot. I think the last good COD game was 2. 

With Halo the ranged weapons are all semi auto. Those on full auto are for close ranges. Likewise with COD2 except for the BAR and MP44 which were quite hard to spray accurately with. With the newer COD (I didn't like MW) its a sprayfest, without the 3d gameplay (and awesome physics) of Halo. What with all the jumping about in the new COD I'm minded to give it ago with a relatively blank slate. BF4 has the same problem - when I play it now I browse the web on my phone whilst waiting for the helicopters to spawn :x

You're a bad person Skarclaw. Waiting for helicopters to spawn.. :P

Each to their own though, i've found myself drawn to long single player RPGs these days. Get a decent story in there and i'm all over it. "Shadow Run Returns" on iPad/phone is a personal favourite.

Ha I'm not a complete *rickroll* if someone gets in and I've already had a go I switch to gunner ;)

Shadowrun Returns is pretty awesome. It is something that has both been done and not been done before with the way it plays out.

However I find that both Halo and CoD are as bad as each other. Both made a formula about 2001 for Halo and 2003 for CoD, it worked then and was different. Then they made a sequel, it was nice, had more to do and upped the graphics. Then along came another which was more about graphics and less about extras, then the next one and the next one and the next one, each time just adding a little something here or there while making no real changes that actually benefit you owning the later ones past a certain point.

Saying that the same can be said for many football and racing games too, they are just more obvious as a track race is still a track race and a football pitch is still going to be 11 a side kicking a ball no matter how many 'action replay' cameras you add. But then I am not the player these games are clearly for. I see a lot of people you can tell have more money than they know what to do with throwing it at the likes of GAME and such to get the latest re-hashed game without really knowing what they are doing :D.

'FireKnife'

I like Halo alot. I think the last good COD game was 2. 

With Halo the ranged weapons are all semi auto. Those on full auto are for close ranges. Likewise with COD2 except for the BAR and MP44 which were quite hard to spray accurately with. With the newer COD (I didn't like MW) its a sprayfest, without the 3d gameplay (and awesome physics) of Halo. What with all the jumping about in the new COD I'm minded to give it ago with a relatively blank slate. BF4 has the same problem - when I play it now I browse the web on my phone whilst waiting for the helicopters to spawn :x

Halo just never clicked for me.  Had some good times on multi player on the original Xbox but it just comes across as very childish to me.  The little colourful enemies, seems cruel to kill them heh.  I really can't see why adults love it so much.

Yeah, COD 2 was excellent.  I might have to start from one and work through them again.  I'd definitely recommend the new COD.  The jump pack thing does add a new interesting element to proceedings.  Sadly still no button to physically punch someone in the face over the Internet after they start spouting *suitcase* at you because you are utterly trouncing them :(

Halo just never clicked for me.  Had some good times on multi player on the original Xbox but it just comes across as very childish to me.  The little colourful enemies, seems cruel to kill them heh.  I really can't see why adults love it so much. 

Yeah, COD 2 was excellent.  I might have to start from one and work through them again.  I'd definitely recommend the new COD.  The jump pack thing does add a new interesting element to proceedings.  Sadly still no button to physically punch someone in the face over the Internet after they start spouting *suitcase* at you because you are utterly trouncing them :(

For the first bit - yeah I grew up with it. You could say the same thing about computer games, airsoft, comics, sci-fi in general,whatever though. Its a tight shooter and I think the first console shooter that could hold its own against a PC.  My regret in the most recent one is the switch to like weapon drops and stuff. It takes away stuff like map domination which makes halo fun. Also I think sci-fi shooters are just more fun generally - the "fuel rod cannon" with its bouncing plasma splash projectile is way more fun then a rotary grenade launcher ala BF4. 

I'll have to get down to a GAME and see if I can play cod without paying for it, see how it goes. 

I still found Halo to be not 'childish' but as though it wasn't really trying. It just went for big and colourful and tried to be a more toned down Quake or even Unreal Tournament (both games which have gone on to hit and miss futures too) but to me it failed at that. Maybe it is just that everything feels rather unbalanced or that the game becomes a bit of a scramble for the best vehicles (something BF can be very guilty of too) with little else being considered.

Though as said to me CoD is just as poorly done. Though the idea of adding a jet pack to me is missing the point of it all and while the idea of a pain feedback system for angry players would be funny it would lead to about 95% of the MP players (which is mostly under 18s anyway) either being battered / shocked to death or going on some school wide massacre as playing games on MP is the only way they can let out any feelings of rage that their own parents ignore :P.

However I do think both games would improve if the players did as well on MP but then that is a modern society fault and less of the games fault. Still at least it means such players have a place to play and leave the rest of us to it. I just feel sorry for the people that genuinely like such games and end up having to deal with such players. I thoroughly enjoy playing BF2 now that all the ignorant *Ubarflock* have moved on to the next one. Hell playing the first Modern Warfare on MP has even gone back to being fun now certain people have shifted to other games :D.

'FireKnife'

I think COD is the one franchise which can really highlight the differences between console/PC FPS charactaristics.

In Advanced Warfare (The first one I've bought for 5 or so years), the MEDs and the TTK are so incredibly low. On a console, even with high sensitivity there's still quite a lot of wiggle room if you're caught unawares. With a PC, however, if you're behind a chap then 95% of the time he's a dead man.

Please note: I'm not using this as an argument for PC or console! Merely highlighting that there are different considerations on each medium, and that decisions based on one might not transfer easily over to another.

I must admit I have played Halo and CoD on PC and console (played CoD MW1 on PC and the first and second Halo's too).

I found that Halo worked better on the PC but CoD still felt as lackluster, just that things like flipping things on and off like IR and extended sights was easier once I got the keys down. The medium does make a difference but it isn't an amazing one, more improves the likes of Halo while it would appear to me that CoDs issues are more deep seated (even though I still like CoD2 and the first MW as they were at least different and fun).

'FireKnife'

I actually want to go play BF2 now, I am sure GAME had the whole bundle (all three main expansions etc) for £3 or something silly.

I always remember all the classic joke videos that filled the earlier days of Youtube with nothing but stupid BF2 stuff like constant bunny-hopping and the douchebag sniper.

'FireKnife'

I loved the Halo series.

Until Halo: Reach.

*fruitcage*. THAT. *suitcase*.

One of the biggest draws of Halo to me (aside from being a 7' tall superhuman in the coolest exo-skeleton of all time) was the fact that the games were only a part of the story. The universe it was in already existed at the start of H:CE, the war was already underway, and humans were being killed left right and centre.

There's a whole series of books set in the Halo-verse. One of them happens to be about the Fall of Reach.

Guess what? IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE BLOODY GAME. 

so *fruitcage* Bungie, and *fruitcage* whoever signed off on all over Eric Nylund's brilliant book.

I hate Halo.

I've not played it much, a mate brought it away with us and we spent most of the time playing Goldeneye instead.

When we did play I was incredibly frustrated with the controller and with the poxy shield.  I would unload a mag into a guy who wouldn't die, he went behind a bit of cover and WHOOoooop - he's back to full shields with no less health.

Utterly pointless.

My mate says "burn his shield off with gun fire then grenade him.", *badger*s.  What's the point of a gun that can't kill the enemy?

In the end I was running around with a sword.  So much for scifi.

I hate Halo.

I've not played it much, a mate brought it away with us and we spent most of the time playing Goldeneye instead.

When we did play I was incredibly frustrated with the controller and with the poxy shield. I would unload a mag into a guy who wouldn't die, he went behind a bit of cover and WHOOoooop - he's back to full shields with no less health.

Utterly pointless.

My mate says "burn his shield off with gun fire then grenade him.", *badger*s. What's the point of a gun that can't kill the enemy?

In the end I was running around with a sword. So much for scifi.

Goldeneye is the best MP game of all time.

Also, first time I played Halo I ended up using that massive hammer.

To be honest it is bad enough in CoD where it took half a mag to hit someone as only about 5 shots would hit due to poor hit scans.

Though agreed, N64 version of Goldeneye is still amazing, it meant you had four people in the same room as well which lead to hilarity as they tried to distract each other while still playing. Plus less likely to call everyone who beat them a *fruitcage*-ing *Ubar* as then everyone else would just hit them with those freak controllers that the N64 had.

The shields thing got me in Halo as really all of the weapons bar the shotgun, sniper rifle, sticking grenades, sword and hammer are useless. These weapons could kill instantly and do the much needed damage everything else lacks.

'FireKnife'

Archived