My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

So does smoking relieve stress for anyone? Or is that only because you were already partially addicted? I've always had a suspicion that the reason everyone in this country loves tea so much is because they're all addicted to the caffeine.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cigarettes are yay. :D smokers always know the risk, so what i don't understand is why nonsmokers have to keep rubbing it in our faces the risks of it. yes, the crappy health, yellow skin, stinky clothes. but cough medicine is good, it helps you get better. soap will make your skin a normal color, and jeez, if your clothes stink, then wash them. who wants to to be reaaaally old with wrinkly balls and a p*nis that no longer works?

smokers here get it with heavy taxes. we take one for the team so others don't have to. teehehe... putting into the government system. i'd like to die of something of my choosing (military, a wife/girlfriend, too much architecture work, or cigarettes.....?) when/if i get lung cancer, if because smoking doesn't automatically give you cancer, the doctors will put me on so much pain medication that i will not notice the copious amounts of blood i am coughing up have put my cigarette out. plus, it looks way cool when they do it in the movies B)

despite all this however, i make it my duty to be courteous around nonsmokers and try not to smoke around them. and if i can't resist, i'll try to keep my distance.

like pablo said, it's pretty hard to justify it, but it's just something we enjoy :]

it does a pretty decent job at relieving stress, especially in an architecture major where work is overloading. smoke breaks outside are something of a ritual, it's relaxing, and while smoking you can finally take five to ten minutes for a breather (or lack thereof :D) and think about your next step in your project.

side note, how is second hand smoke dangerous? never understood. i've tried googling it, but only found statistics and blaaa. nonsmokers have are 30% more prone to cancer etc. how so?

It's more tannin in tea, than caffeine. Sure, tea leaves themselves actually contain more caffeine, but unless you like your tea extra-chewy, a drinking coffee will deliver more caffeine to your bloodstream.

Personally, I think that the "relaxing" effects of smoking are partly from the "soothing ritual", and partly psychosomatic - people seem to think it is relaxing, so it relaxes them. It is, however, medically proven that nicotine produces "mild euphoria" so that probably helps a lot too. Not to mention that it's horribly addictive and withdrawal symptoms aren't fun. So that's two big medical, biological factors. Not that I'm a doctor or anything, so what do I know? :unsure:

Edit: It's fairly obvious that if tobacco smoke is harmful, then "second-hand" exposure will still be harmful. The lungs aren't particularly efficient at getting things from the air (or whatever) you breathe in, so there will be plenty of harmful chemicals in the "second-hand" smoke you breathe out. Plus it's just plain nasty to have smoke drifting around a room. It's unpleasant AND medically harmful - why should you feel entitled to subject *anyone* else to it?

Like I said, I'm all for you doing something that's legal and doesn't affect anyone but yourself; but smoking doesn't fall into that category a lot of the time.

I'm not trying to make people stop smoking - what you do with your lungs is up to you, and I don't care one bit. But when it starts affecting other people, whether from second-hand smoke or more indirect things like unpleasant smells and suchlike, it's not very nice.

To suggest that someone should just accept being subjected to something that they find distasteful, unpleasant or even offensive because of their job or whatever is also pretty unacceptable, in my book.

Wikipedia has a fairly lengthy article on second-hand smoke and cites a whole bunch of references...

like pablo said, it's pretty hard to justify it, but it's just something we enjoy :]

You make it sound like airsoft... :lol:

side note, how is second hand smoke dangerous? never understood. i've tried googling it, but only found statistics and blaaa. nonsmokers have are 30% more prone to cancer etc. how so?

I didn't understand a great deal of your post but you've answered yourself there, you found statistics. Basically, lungs aren't a perfect filter for all the carcinogens and tar and such, so when a smoker breaths out, other people breath their left overs in. Also, cigarette smoke generally smells horrible to non smokers.

So does smoking relieve stress for anyone? Or is that only because you were already partially addicted? I've always had a suspicion that the reason everyone in this country loves tea so much is because they're all addicted to the caffeine.

Yes. I started smoking when I bought a pack of hamlets from a pub (I thought they where ciggarettes, I knew nothing) and smoked them with some points, I later discovered when I started smoking and inhaling the big ones that it made me feel quite woozy and put me in a better mood to sleep, this was pretty sudden and for a while I only smoked one, just before bed. I later moved on to cigarettes, still smoking 1 a day, this later increased to 3, then 10. Its probably a mix of both, but whatever way you look at it, its very relaxing and for me atleast, a pleasant way to spend 5 or so minuets.

I can understand why people wouldn't like the sight of someone smoking, I've never felt this way as my grandmother smokes like a horse so I've never had a smoker = bad person attitude, but I can assume its the same feeling I get when I see a fat person scoff down a burger king (with a diet coke, of course)

edit

a quick google found this;

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1629078/smoking_vs_obesity_which_is_more_deadly_pg2.html?cat=51

which might not be a serious journal or whatever, but this was interesting

"With that being said, studies have shown that those who are obese are more at risk of health related issues than those who are smokers."

Food (geddit?) for thought I suppose!

a fat person scoff down a burger king (with a diet coke, of course)

"But I like the taste of the diet coke better" <_< Yeah, right. Like anyone believes that. :waggle:

Don't BK serve Pepsi? :unsure:

Edit:

So if you're a fat smoker, you're just completely *fruitcage*ed? :mellow:

withdrawal sympthoms definitely aren't fun. i hear when quitting you're supposed to cut back until you reach zero. for lent i cut cigarettes off abruptly and completely, and withdrawal wasn't fun.

heh, and sorry i if didn't make sense there matt.

but yea, i found the statistics but never found the how. but isn't the smoke we breathe out filtered anyway? since most cigarettes do have filters on them. and plus, like you said, they are getting the leftovers. so we took in most of the bad stuff from that filtered cigarette, and we are breathing out the leftovers. idk, i guess i just don't understand why the general population makes it seem to be that secondhand is equally/more dangerous than firsthand.

Last time I cut ciggies completely, and switched to extra strong mentholyptus. I only allowed myself to have one outside, while drinking coffee. That way my mouth and hand were occupied (steady!) and I took a break at the usual times. Worked a treat - only had to do that for two weeks, and I was fine.

i guess i just don't understand why the general population makes it seem to be that secondhand is equally/more dangerous than firsthand.

Because it's not YOUR choice to breathe it in. Someone else's selfish actions are putting YOUR health at risk and making YOUR hair and clothes stink and making YOU cough or whatever.

THAT'S WHY :angry:

What's not to understand? :headbutt:

Edit: It's fairly obvious that if tobacco smoke is harmful, then "second-hand" exposure will still be harmful. The lungs aren't particularly efficient at getting things from the air (or whatever) you breathe in, so there will be plenty of harmful chemicals in the "second-hand" smoke you breathe out. Plus it's just plain nasty to have smoke drifting around a room. It's unpleasant AND medically harmful - why should you feel entitled to subject *anyone* else to it?

yea, cigarettes do smell horrible sometimes. and i would never smoke indoors. and tbh i do feel really guilty when i'm part of the same population as all the distasteful/disrespectful smokers out there.

and yea, ok. i see completely that it's not their choice. i guess that ends my argument there. thanks for the outrageously simple answer!

Yeah, perhaps being fat kills you but smoking kills you and the people around you.

Passive smoking isn't just the exhaled smoke from the smoker, it is also the smoke that rises off the tip of the cigarette and that stuff hasn't even been through the filter.

My mum is a smoker and I won't let her smoke around me, even in her own house.

The way I see it is this:

I don't smoke or drink but I am addicted to cake. How would you like it if I enjoyed a nice cake then took a dump in your lungs?

By the way, I pity smokers. It is harder to give up heroin than smoking.

On a side note, I think all smokers should be barred from using the NHS.

"Right, you need a kidney transplant but I see here that you are a smoker so you're going to die"

"get out of my hospital"

http://menshealth.about.com/cs/lifestyle/f/smoking_second.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090122231353AANGucJ

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_cigarette_filters_work

Also, after a while, the stuff in the smoke gets everywhere. My mum used to work in a charity shop and you could always tell when furniture was donated from a smoker even before smelling it, glass would have a yellow haze over it which would need to be steamed and scraped off and soft things would be a warmer shade where material was exposed to air than where it wasn't

That's a bit harsh. :waggle: Maybe just bill them? :unsure:

I thought that's what they do do? Or atleast if they were banned from the NHS, they would be billed, if they still wanted the health care that is...

And there's another thing, how much does a pack of cigarettes cost? I don't understand how so many people on benefits, in low paid jobs or with children to pay for can afford to spend so much on something like that.

Edit: Not that the smokers on here necessarily fall into any of those categories, but those seem to be the types of people I usually see buying them when I'm at the shops

On a side note, I think all smokers should be barred from using the NHS.

"Right, you need a kidney transplant but I see here that you are a smoker so you're going to die"

"get out of my hospital"

That is a ridicolous proposol and I can only assume it is hyperbole as from what I gather from reading your stuff you are an intelligent guy.

Firstly the tax gained from tobacco is massive, yeah not all of it will go straight to the NHS, I think a significant of money raised from tabacco taxation is contributed towards the running of the NHS.

Would you bar a fat person from using the NHS because they have eaten to much and thus have increased the risk of heart attacks massivly? Alcohol? Would you stop treating drug addicts on the NHS? Those injured whilst riding a motercycle? These proposals seem to be consistent with your viewpoint.

As a side, I am in favour of taxing fast food and foods with trans fats and high levels of sodium and sugar on the same basis as alcohol and ciggarettes.

edit

a pack of ciggarettes can be anywhere from 4.20 ish (pall mall) to up and over 6 pound (camel, etc) Rolling ciggarettes are significantly cheaper, and they are also far less unpleaseant to smell you'll be glad to know :D )

a pack in the us costs roughly 8+ depending on where you're situated. about ten dollars here in brooklyn.

the thing is that cigarette addicts are so addicted that buying cigarettes might as well exceed the importance of child support or employment. it's sad really. the same goes for alcoholics who are sometimes the core of a family falling apart.

second on the rollies.

personally, i get cartons when i can from duty free or from other countries. way cheaper. twenty dollars a carton (10 packs).

Whoa there pilgrims. My father smoked most of his life, had lung cancer, had an op, and no enjoyes life the best he can and doesn't smoke. Paid his taxes like everyone else for years. The punishment he has received is that he can't do the job he use to love, can't afford his morgage and so has to sell the house he worked hard for.

So with that in mind, I think a "smoker", has paid a heavy price for smoking.

There are so many other scenerio's that would make people who don't smoke, drink eat too much, or don't exercise want the people who do, pay for the opertions they need. Its a bit too *fruitcage* harsh in my opinion, and I hope it never comes to that.

Edit:- Also, my father always put us first (Buying christmas presents, birthday etc), though not when it came to smoking of course. Which if am really harsh, I kind of resent that side of growing up. I also do think that no-one should have to breath another persons smoke. And that a smoker should not be excempt from free nhs health care.

Those injured whilst riding a motercycle?

You have yourself a good point there, you do not need to ride a motorbike, a car will generally be safer.

On the point of obesity, I had myself some lucosade today, bought two bottles because it was on offer and it was hot. Finished the second bottle at the end of the day and checked the nutritional information... :lol: It seems I managed to drink 152% of my RDA of suger in those two 500ml bottles.

On the subject of sugar etc, a friend of mine ate a bunch of sugarcubes all at once, not for any real reason, just that he felt like it, a few hours later he went into shock, was diagnosed with diabetes and now has to inject himself regularly, has had several blackouts and some memory problems, and has to think quite fairly about what he eats (and when, I think) crazy stuff

My sister was diagnised diabetic when I was 9. My mom took her to the doctors the day after she'd drunk two big bottles of lemonade. I realised eventually of course that this was because of the thirst that can be a sign of diabetes, but for years I was convinced drinking too much lemonade gave you diabetes.

So does that mean he had diabetes before just undiagnosed or the massive amount of sugar caused it to develop very quickly?

My dad has diabetes, found out when he collapsed at work and now has to test his blood sugar level several times a day, not fun.

Sugar cubes.

Just say no. :waggle:

This idea of "punishing" people by taking away the health care their taxes help to pay for because they do something dangerous is fairly unpleasant, and a slippery slope. Doesn't everyone in some way do *something* that they don't need to do that risks their health? :unsure:

Pretty much any kind of recreational sports would be out, to say nothing of "extreme sports" such as skydiving and so on. Drugs, drinking, eating the "wrong foods"... What about driving? - hundreds of people die on the roads every year, and some people seem to think that you don't *need* to drive (which isn't true in a lot of cases, but I digress). Where would you draw the line?

Why is it?

I was exaggerating but it is no good saying we pay extra tax on the cigarettes, the government just spend that giving unemployed people enough money to buy cigarettes.

If we lived in a country with no NHS we'd have to have health insurance and you can bet your donkey synonym that the premiums would be higher if you smoked or were obese (damn right).

Motorbikes I'm not so sure, if you ride a bike you might be injured. If you are obese or smoke you will cost the NHS a lot of money.

I have already stated that I think all NHS hospitals and staff should be privatised and the government should just pay for basic care (ambulance and emergency) for everyone who can't afford it.

Under that system smokers, heavy drinkers, the obese and a few others would have to pay huge premiums.

Fair.

Archived