Merry x-mas, What did you all get?

shadow

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it is all about the presents, starting with Christ and then moving on towards St. Nicholas;

Originally Christmas was celebrated by the pagan traditions of exchanging gifts and whole lot of other hedonism. After the reformation though, it was decided that Christmas needed to be toned down, with the English Parliament banning Christmas in 1644 and the Puritans doing the same in America. However, Christmas celibrations died hard, leading us too;

St. Nicholas was a christian bishop in turkey born in 270AD. His parents were extremely wealthy and they died while he was young. St. Nicholas' claim to fame was that he gave away his wealth freely but anonymously. His best known act of kindness was throwing bags of gold to pay for dowrys for a mans three daughters in the middle of the night. One of these bags of gold landed in a stocking drying by the fire, leading to a tradition still practiced today.

When St. Nicholas died on Dec. 6, 343AD, he was quickly declared a saint, with his feast day being Dec 6, awfully close to Christmas.

Thus everyones exchanging of gifts, eating, drinking, merrymaking and more began to happen on St. Nicholas' feast day, and over time the two merged into the holiday we celebrate today.

So see, it really is about the stuff, and besides, all good Christians know that it's not Christmas that's important, but Easter.

opened me pressies now :)

greenday - american idiot album

franz ferdinand album

jim dunlop crybaby wha wha pedal (bought by me for my dad and myself ;))

alarm clock radio (mine broke awhile back)

candle :mellow:

bike multi-tool

cheque for 250 (money that i was ow'd plus a bit extra for xmas :))

:)

Here in Norway, Christmas is called "Jul", and was a viking tradition until Christianity came. Because of that, even though people go to church and stuff (and ofcourse, we have the American style santa too), I don't feel that you have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas. Just eat all the strange food, listen to Christmas music, watch movies like Die Hard and spend time with your family.

And what i got for Christmas?

-Pixies: Surfer Rosa CD

-Twelwe Monkeys DVD

-Enter The Dragon DVD

-Some kind of LCD display, guess I'll take the 17" NEC with 12ms.

-$235 (1450NOK)

-Money for a gift I was going to order myself, but the store (in HK) is still trying to get it for me. A Sega Saturn and some stuff for it.

-A strange cook (like in food things, yes) book by Kristopher Schau. Enter The Schau

-Other stuff.

CA33E.

I agree with TaQ but atheists CAN share in the joy of christmas, because of the spirit of christmas, goodwill to all men and that kinda stuff. Its about being decent and nice to people just as much as it is about Jesus being born, its an all inclusive holiday because of the peace on earth and goodwill to all men aspect.

Well, my dad knew I couldn't afford any presents, and even though I told him not to get me anything he got all kinds of stuff for me. Then he and his g/f yelled and screamed at me on how I was inconsiderate and didn't get them anything. I re-explained that I had no money.

After a few fights, a bent stop sign, tripling the speed limits in hope that I would die on my way home, a late-night guitar jam and cuts on my arms and almost slit wrists later, I don't have much to show. I ruined x-mas for everyone so I don't know.

I guess you all are lucky to be fortunate enough to have normal families.

Maybe I should have stolen some presents.... :(

Damn. That sucks, and it's not your fault. You DIDN'T ruin Christmas.

I got Half Life 2 and 150 dollars to spend.

What NVD did you get PlasticMag? I have an ATN Viper, its nightvision but its not combat useable, so Its just a novelty for me.

I dont believe in christmas but as long as it makes people happy and creates a short period of peace, its good for me.

I got

A watch

2 t-shirts (even though its F*ckin Freezin over here

A UHC Spring Pistol

A Gumball Machine

A hat

A G19 in the mail

And other stuff (socks, lots of lip balm, lips get dried easiely, with flavors like Hersheys, Twinkies, Other weird stuff, but sadly no diet coke)

Well, the infared illuminator is too weak to see long distances outdoors, and ambient light is usually good enough. Also since its a monocular, you have to keep focusing the lens so that you can see clearly, but these are all small problems.

The real reason I dont use it are the dangers of airsoft bullets hitting it and bright lights. The surefire G2 is such good value for money that almost everyone has one now. I dont want to risk frying my retinas and/or ruining the headset.

Sorry to put this off topic, but im considering buying gen 1+ night vision and i was going to by viper something...but some guy said looking through gen1+ is like watching tv with no ariel in green :P

Is this true? Could i use them in a airsoft war / game?

Thanks,

James

Edit, sorry youve just answered most of my questions!

God taq, christmas is not all about the gifts, or all about jesus. It's about people exchanging gifts in oreder to make people happy, and it's bout trying to make the world just a little more festive in the dark freezing months when bad things are happening all around us. It's about giving, as much as receiving. Also i don;t celebrate christmas, because all religions have brought too much war, and hate to the world. except for Budhism.

DVD Player

MP3 Player

Mad Max model car

Last Action Hero & Coming to America DVD's

New Xbox case + screen and other gubbinz

Lambretta wallet

Aftershave

I was supposed to be recieving a ally case and some mags for my M4, but my old man cound find the time to go to the Airsoft Armoury due to work messing all of his hours around. Although my family gave me money, which has gone towards an SL-9.

Archived