Guns in Movies - The G36

Fuser

I suppose that this thread belongs in technical discussion...

I was wondering (to anyone who has seen Mission: Impossible 3) the following:

A) During the bridge scene when Tom Cruise slides a few feet to get a case containing a disassembled G36, is it possible in reality to assemble the gun as quickly as he did? It looked as though the carrying handle was taken off, as were other parts.

B) When he throws the gun over that gap blown out by a missle, I had heard that the director used a G36 because it is the only gun in the world that could be thrown that distance and not break / eject its magazine. Is this true?

Thanks,

R

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assembly-the weapon takes about 30 seconds to disassemble, from what I have read, because it uses only the HK push pins, so fast reassembly should be no problem.

As for the second:DEFINITELY NOT!!! Ak series will have not problems, m14's will have no problems, etc. Complete lie that the G36 is the only one. M16/M4's way/will have a problem because of the way they are set up with the release on the side and the cheap aluminum magazines are junk. They are also HIGHLY prone to slam firing, i.e. hard drop.

Cheers!

Crispin1025

As for the second:DEFINITELY NOT!!!  Ak series will have not problems, m14's will have no problems, etc.  Complete lie that the G36 is the only one.  M16/M4's way/will have a problem because of the way they are set up with the release on the side and the cheap aluminum magazines are junk.  They are also HIGHLY prone to slam firing, i.e. hard drop.

Yeah but since when would a secret agent like Ethan use an AK47 or something like an M14? He'd have to use something flashy and stylish! lol

Again, an exception is the M4/M16 series, which DOES have problems when dropped, trust me, I have had it happen.  These guns can go off just by closing the bolt.

Cheers,

Crispin1025

From what I've read, the M16A1 has a nasty habit of doing that. The text went something like "...In Vietnam, when ever the body of a US soldier was found, he would usually have a broken m16 next to him..."

From what I've read, the M16A1 has a nasty habit of doing that. The text went something like "...In Vietnam, when ever the body of a US soldier was found, he would usually have a broken m16 next to him..."

I love it! I am saving that for my signature!

Cheers!

Crispin1025

And yes, I have had M16's slam fire on me-many times.

I've never heard anything positive about Chinese AK-clones.

In other news: There are only two rifles that would fit in a Mission Impossible movie that could do the toss-thing: The G36 and the M14-EBR. And given that H&K probably paid the producer/director/whoever to have a G36 in the film... yeah....

Yeah but since when would a secret agent like Ethan use an AK47 or something like an M14? He'd have to use something flashy and stylish! lol

Like THIS?

A real man's weapon, not some stupid weapon wannabe.

Cheers!

Crispin1025

I had to add THIS. Scroll down a bit for the AK's. Secret-agenty enough for you?(Along with that beautiful SOC II).

Cheers!

Crispin1025

The real questions are :

Why the hell would you have an assault rifle for self-defense that is totaly dissasembled?

Why would you carry a disassembled assault rifle with loaded mags?

Why would you be a super secret agent able to snipe a head with a handgun and unable to shoot at a slow moving helicopter's passenger from 50 meters with a G36k?

For the gun choice, any rifle using metal mags would bend the loaded mag if the gun has to fall on it, causing jamming. moreover ther is safety issue : dropping a gun loaded with a full mag isn't very safe (in real life, not for the movie of course) as in the Sig movie they hit the gun unloaded. Only a few modern guns with adequate safeties could resist to that without firing (a Glock succeeded, can be seen on a website that I can't remember the name, and a G36 could probably do it)

An AK could probably stay intact but would be prone to fire.

Moreover, I suspect HK to pay for their guns to appear in major Hollywood blockbusters.

You can do that with any gun which has a "drop safety" (glocks,p99s,m9s etc.), as this means they can be hit on the hammer and the firing pin will still be locked. I'm sure that most rifles would be able to withstand the throw, as the rifle was disassembled and in a padded case...

And he couldn't use an M14 as one of the German guys in the helicopter was using a scoped M14.

Moreover, I suspect HK to pay for their guns to appear in major Hollywood blockbusters.

Can anyone think of a movie when a G36 has been portayed in a good light ?

1. AVP good guys die , all using G36

2. MI III Highly trained agent cannot hit a hovering helicopter from 40M

Yes a great sales pitches for the G36 rifle :rolleyes:

HK Sales Pitch ..." Ladies and Gentlemen ....The new G36 Assault rifle (Movie version) ... Good at shooting down fast moving jets , Naff at shooting down Hovering Helecopters, Enemy Terrorists and do not think of using it against Cloaked Predators ... as may void warranty."

:D

Archived