Guns in Movies - The G36

Fuser

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, for many years people desperately cried out for a series that was really nothing like the original.

:zorro:

And what they got was much, much, much better: A show that is enjoyable, dramatic, and is the only show on American television to seriously tackle the consequences of terrorism on a society.

The original was nothing but tacky lawsuit-bait.

The original was great. G.I.N.O. shows the problems with modern remakes: take the original, remove all the stuff people loved it for, add a bunch of stuff to make it "gritty", serve with no concern for the original. Brought to you by the people planning an A-Team movie without B.A. Baracus.

Again, an exception is the M4/M16 series, which DOES have problems when dropped, trust me, I have had it happen.  These guns can go off just by closing the bolt.

Cheers,

Crispin1025

Then tell me oh wise one, why the hell hasn't an AR-15 ever gone off when I chamber a round by using the bolt release?

I mean, these weapons were designed to be reloaded with CLOSING THE BOLT being a step in the process.

It is possible to do this if you don't keep your bolt clean, such as getting dirt on your firing pin assembly...But then again, as with nearly any weapon, said weapons will take a giant *beep* on you if you don't take care of them.

I suppose that this thread belongs in technical discussion...

I was wondering (to anyone who has seen Mission: Impossible 3) the following:

A)  During the bridge scene when Tom Cruise slides a few feet to get a case containing a disassembled G36, is it possible in reality to assemble the gun as quickly as he did?  It looked as though the carrying handle was taken off, as were other parts.

B)  When he throws the gun over that gap blown out by a missle, I had heard that the director used a G36 because it is the only gun in the world that could be thrown that distance and not break / eject its magazine.  Is this true?

Thanks,

R

The G36 is a modular weapon design. Push pins, meant to be field stripped very quickly. The m16/m4 series does have a problem with mags ejecting when the weapon is severly dropped. The m14 however does not and to my knowleged the AK's I have used have never experienced it. BTW any gun will break with the right amount of force. Whats hilarious is that the G36 is used in so many movies and shows. But noone realizes how expensive it is and how much it stands out.

The original was great. G.I.N.O. shows the problems with modern remakes: take the original, remove all the stuff people loved it for, add a bunch of stuff to make it "gritty", serve with no concern for the original. Brought to you by the people planning an A-Team movie without B.A. Baracus.

Sounds like you're a sore loser, to me.

'GINO' as you call it, has proven itself to be three times better than the craptastic original. Seaon Three of 'GINO' is now in production, while the craptastic original never saw anything past the first season. As well it should.

Three of 'GINO' is now in production, while the craptastic original never saw anything past the first season. As well it should.

Which I believe was because of budgets. Galactica was a massive show for then, and they just couldn't afford it.

Hence that horrible spin off thing set on Earth.

I like the original and the new series, but you have to consider them as totally different things that aren't really comparable.

Don't the marine's use P90s anyway? Can't say I've looked very close though.

Don't the marine's use P90s anyway?  Can't say I've looked very close though.

AFAIK the Colonial Marines have never used P90s.

In the Miniseries, I don't think there were any Marines, and when you see a rifle in the hands of the Galactica's crewmen it was one of those Poseidon 'Seburo MN-23' models.

In Season One and for the first half of Season Two, the Marines were equipped with Beretta Cx4 Storm carbines (and the odd Marine armed with an MM-1 GL). I believe that in the second half of Season Two the Marines in the last two or three episodes from the end of the season, when we see Marines using a wide variety of weapons including the G36C and (apparently) L85A2s and some others.

Oh, and they also use FN Five-seveNs with wood grips as a sidearm.

I'm sure they had at least one P-90 in the first series when they stormed the prison ship. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

The L85A2s are used for ceremonial duties when the President comes aboard Galactica, they have white furniture and no carry handles.

And another point in Battlestar Galactica's favour, over it's pale imitation: they actually bothered to make space weapons.

"Hey, Adama. I've finished overhauling the nuclear thrusters. The turbolaser batteries are fully energised. I just need a sidearm."

"Oh, have this SA80."

"... if we have Earth weapons, how come we don't know where Earth is?"

I smell craptastic TV series.

I'm sure they had at least one P-90 in the first series when they stormed the prison ship.  Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

The L85A2s are used for ceremonial duties when the President comes aboard Galactica, they have white furniture and no carry handles.

That was a "Seburo MN-23".

And another point in Battlestar Galactica's favour, over it's pale imitation: they actually bothered to make space weapons.

"Space weapons" that were more dangerous to the audience than to the Cylons.

"PEEEOOOH!"

Cylon dies.

Audience shrieks: MY EARS!

(You obviously never watched the Miniseries, which was loaded with made-up space guns.)

Another point in 'GINO's favor: They did a good, mature job of copying the original Battlerstar Galactica than the classic did. Whereas the original Battlestar Galactica did a ######-poor job of replicating the original concept of Star Wars.

The original had no right to exist, being nothing but the first attempt at making a TV-series of Star Wars. By the completely wrong company. Hence the lawsuit. The new series, a much more mature take on the original concept, is the only thing that gives the original the right to exist.

If you want craptastic escapist fantasy, go watch Stargate, 24, or the new Star Wars show when it premieres. I prefer my shows to be more Ridley Scott and less George Lucas. More Maximus and less Jar-Jar Binks.

Oh, and Star Wars dressed up the MG34 not one bit. And, again, if you think that the guns in Battlestar Galactica aren't dressed up, you obviously haven't seen it and ergo have no way of knowledgeably commenting on the series.

You can instantly tell who the bitter fans are by the ones who call it GINO, which is funny since the rumor that they named a character GINA after that very same reason.

Simply put, BSG has surpassed the episode count of the original. Look the original version is enjoyable camp, but yeah it's BAD star wars ripoff. No way around that. Sorry, I'm sorry they made Starbuck a woman, and that it turned out to be a great character move. I'm sorry the show has good writers, I'm sorry the show is popular with critics and fans, and I'm REALLY sorry unlike the old show that it's not cancelled.

Oh well, and frankly I don't care if a show uses real guns, yeah we'll noticed, but here's the thing, making fake guns that fire realistically is hard. Please find me a scifi gun that fired realistically that wasn't a dressed up real gun. Within the context of BSG's universe a CX4 storm looks damn good.

Whatever man, go weep for the dead soul of Boxy and Daggit.

hmm, ill go back on topic with the G36 in movies...

resident evil 1, the leader with the AG36 gets sliced to pieces by the lasers. for some reason on the camera scene when they first get off the train, they label that AG36 as an MP5K..but labels the G36K carried by the other guy correctly.

oh yea, and the guy with the g36k gets killed first by zombies.

Archived