the UKASC migration thread

Rack

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit, I too don't like the idea of a Girls only forum, especially a password protected one.

Firstly, passwords would have to be given to all the female members - How on earth would we figure out who was who? Any blokes masquerading as girls just to get the password would likely end up ruining the concept, detroying trust, and have most of the females label them as some kind of sex-pest.

And if it wasn't passworded, there would be many adolescent blokes who would think it was some kind of "target rich environment" and just end up pestering the girls.

And last of all I agree with what Ghost said. I can't see the need for it and it assumes the girls need special treatment. I mean we don't need a blokes only room either do we.

There have been a lot of good ideas though and these will be considered as possible additions to the site. Keep em coming ;)

harryenfieldandchums_2.jpg

'"Look a perfectly servicable AEG. Oh no what's this? It's a woman, that's torn it! ...Women Know Your Limits"

It's nearly 0200, that's my excuse.

A passworded women only section? Don't think that's a huge amount of use to anyone really.

How about a hall of shame? I mean a area of fools who've trolled and subsiquencly have been banned. It would show we have a no nonsence attitued to trolls.

Wait that sounds Trollish D :

Not while I still draw breath mate ;)

Dear R22, It was aimed to be a joke hence the 'Wait I'm being Trollish D:' bit I realised though to my demise I forgot the special command

'TIME PARADOX OH SHI-'

I'm going to be honest, maybe a tad special but generally honest. I found that Arnies worked for because it was K.I.S.S. (Keep It Stupidly Simple) Unlike our COunter-part (ASCUK Also to clarify I really don't hold no grudgies against them a few do but each to their own), Thusly keeping sections more streamlined it helps it become easier to navigate.

hehehe, yes, I noticed it was a joke - hence my "winking" smiley ;) ;) ;)

I agree on keeping it simple too. I don't want to just start pushing out sub-forums like they're going out of fashion because it will be harder to find what you want. But some extra sub-forums may be a good idea if they give the forums more functionality without becoming confusing. This is the line we need to find, which is why I am currently discussing various options with the other staff members here. ;)

Cheers :)

"Darn thee Sledge!" (where's a "shakes fist at Sledge" smiley when you need one)? :D

Okay chaps, let's not derail this thread in to a swamp of spam when it's heading so nicely towards the city of intelligence ;)

further subdivided forums has potential for more work for the mods moving stuff from 'wrong' place to the 'right' place

more outbursts of 'OMFG you psoted in teh wrong part of teh interweb' from folks with nothing better to post themselves, and with the inevitable screw you replies

Even the current sales forum actually works quite well IMO eg if i want to browse casually for nothing in particular its all there in one place without need to bounce in and out of various sub forums

Wouldnt be first time Ive gone in looking for accessories for a gun Ive already got and came back out five mins later with a complete gun I had no previous thoughts on buying :)

if theres something in particular Im after I can just use the search button to have it trawl UK sales section to see if anyones flogging that item recently.

Granted subdividing it wouldn't make any real difference if using search facilities to trawl it from its top level down for specific items, but would make casual 'buy things on a whim' browsing of it more of a chore.

Yes, I agree entirely. But it is difficult to ignore the fact that we now have more than 19,000 members here! As such, activity on all forums is increasing.

Personally I like the way the Sales forums are currently laid out, but I have heard the argument for sub-division from a LOT of people (on and off the forums) for almost a year now. This again is something difficult to ignore. I may like things the way they are, but the community wants something else. At the very least I have to investigate this option and give it due consideration.

Let's see what happens eh? ;)

Yeah, that too, although I hardly class a female user expressing the need for a female only forum as ridiculous as 'flame bait', either. I find the idea kind of farcical too, given that the very existance of such a thing implies there is some inherent need to treat girls differently within the sport, something which is patently not the case.

A girl requested it IIRC.

On sub-division, sub-dividing actually create more traffic in my opinion. The newly created CQC forums on ASCUK was a case in point. Before it existed there was no real discussion on the topic. After it was suggested by a member and had several of us add our voices we got one. Que a forum full of posts, several hitting 6 or 7 pages in a couple of days.

Sales-wise if Arnies hit the volume of ASCUK one forum would definately not be enough unless you really enjoyed your scroll wheel. ;)

Edit: Edited to add that ASCUK will be back up in a few days for those that missed it with Aitch and Beaker at ze helm:

http://forums.ukairsoft.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88824

huh, well there goes the neigbourhood. aitch is a kewl chap but beaks? does this mean he gets to use the avatar of emperor palpatine now?

at least ASC will be back up and running, which means we can start cleaning up the deals that were in place. i know i had a few going. with any luck we can pick up where we left off.

pete

Further subdivided forums has potential for more work for the mods moving stuff from 'wrong' place to the 'right' place...

You could always go the opposite way and only have one huge mega-topic!

No sub-sections at all! Simply one titled 'Airsoft & Non-Airsoft Stuff, Sales & Other Stuff'.

No more posting in the wrong place! No more flaming Noobs for not searching for a particular thread that was started six years ago by someone who's long since left airsoft/moved to New Zealand/been banned/died!

The Mods would never have to move anything again! ;)

How are we to know that theyll let some people who have said a couple of slightly negative things in to the forums again, and what promises do we have that if anything has been said becasue of the anger this may have caused that they will be given a fresh start and ASCUK?

Ask them? Posting about it on another forum is hardly going to call the answer into existance is it.

Frankly I doubt they really care enough. :)

Ask them? Posting about it on another forum is hardly going to call the answer into existance is it.

Frankly I doubt they really care enough. :)

i actually think they do, i can see people being banned within a few days of joining because they've happily voiced their opinions on the mods (me included)

i don't think ASC is going to change at all, and as for the "spacker rating" thing i think that'll just get worse. it was stupid and insulting when it started and it continued to be so throughout. it degraded noobs who were asking obvious questions yes, but then we all asked the same questions when we started too.

If there's a major overhall and ASC is a kinder more flower wearing in your hair type of place when it re-opens i'll give it a go. otherwise i'm happy where i am and the forums i'm already on.

pete

Archived