Battlestar Galactica

Aidan

Frankly I like this season a lot, I don't want to see cylon battles each week, that's why the old show sucked, it was in the same way CSI is a procedural show, each week a battle, the same battle over and over, whereas in this show when the cylons do show up it's special. Keep in mind the fleet is evading the Cylons so you wouldn't see battle after battle. Either way, still the best show on TV. 

I understand where you're coming from, but I would like to see some more, I don't know; old time science fiction stuff. This last episode was really good and it dealt with two things that would be major concerns; food supplies and radiation exposure.

Maybe I'm too used to Star Trek fleshing out all the logistical ###### before hand....

And I personally would like more battles, more Viper action, more shots of the vessels. Seriously, they do some beautiful animations. Its like having a woman whom is the greatest lover you've had in a long time; but, she'll only sleep with you ever three or four weeks. Whats up with that? If it were the opposite situation would you say; "######, more sex again...." I think not..... ;):pirate:

Besides... Vipers look really graceful in flight. The Mark IV Vipers remind me a 70's Aston Martin Vantage for some reason. :wub:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand where you're coming from, but I would like to see some more, I don't know; old time science fiction stuff.  This last episode was really good and it dealt with two things that would be major concerns; food supplies and radiation exposure.   

Maybe I'm too used to Star Trek fleshing out all the logistical ###### before hand.... 

Again listen to the podcasts, Ron Moore is trying to avoid the star trek thing, there's so much techobable *beep* in Star Trek that it's retarded, "reversing the polarity of the warp cores while extending the positronic ###### field will save the day, captain" Again it's a sci-fi drama, which is why it's such a cool show, BSG is I mean. I think from day one the show was always a ACTION/DRAMA that just happens to be set in space. i.e the characters and story dictate the setting, not the other way round.

Again, as much as it'd be cool to see Vipers fighting Raiders every week, it'd get boring, frankly I tune in for the story, the occasional space battle is just the icing on the cake.

Again listen to the podcasts, Ron Moore is trying to avoid the star trek thing, there's so much techobable *beep* in Star Trek that it's retarded....

Their is a lot of technobable, but it's their for a reason. That is something that I think Ron Moore isn't getting. In TNG their problbems were technology based, and it isn't unrealistic to picture a group of schmoes sitting around a computer panel talking about what they have to do to get out of a situation. I think it would be cool to get a little more insight on how things actually worked, and how things like how they're going to eat are things in tradition Sci-Fi that get at least token acknowledgement.

I think it's apparent that Ron Moore wants to stay away from star trek; case in point, we haven't even met Galactia's chief engineer. The Colonials must build awesome fraking vessels as well, because None of them have broken down! Ever!

Not true at all. Remember the commander of the Pegasus for an episode, The Captains Hand, was promoted from CHIEF ENGINEER! Commander Barry Garner to be exact. So sorry, not true.

Again I think the show wants people to accept the technology of the world, over explaining it just panders to the hardcore geeks, and frankly BSG of any scifi show in the past 20 years is getting an audience that bridges the gap between nerdy and those who haven't really tapped into scifi before.

Again stay away from techno answers, it's a human drama, it shouldn't be driven by the technology except when it has to. Star Trek fell into that trap of the miraculous deus ex machina technology at the end of the episode.

Again stay away from techno answers, it's a human drama, it shouldn't be driven by the technology except when it has to. Star Trek fell into that trap of the miraculous deus ex machina technology at the end of the episode.

I really don't care how things work... but giving the guns names and designations would be nice.

Again, let them name 'em in some tech manual you'll find on amazon, unless it furthers the story who cares. Again this seems more like a request from a tech/gun nerd (not used in a pejorative manner) than as a valid concern.

Again I just don't see that big a reason for this other than pandering to tech dorks.

Dude if you're fretting about them not putting some letters and numbers in front of the colonial sidearms you're not really into the story. Again, there's a difference between acknowledging those things for the audience because it's important, and PANDERING to a demographic.

Frankly naming the guns is completely pointless when the viewers should be concerned with characters and story.

Again file a complaint with Ron Moore, however in all frankness, it's a tv show, yeesh.

on a different slant, when i first watched the mini series many moons ago i was devastated that they had turned starbuck and boomer into women but as the first season progressed and on into season 2 and now season 3 i grew to like the new carictures and the way they were played but what topped it off for me was watching a program were you had the actress who now plays starbuck meet dirk benadick who origanly played him , he gave her a big thumbs up and a official stabuck cigar (the tube it was in had the name printed on it ) he still had it from many years ago when he got them given when he was playing star buck (sorry for any bad spelling as spell check does not want to work for me )

Dude if you're fretting about them not putting some letters and numbers in front of the colonial sidearms you're not really into the story. Again, there's a difference between acknowledging those things for the audience because it's important, and PANDERING to a demographic.

Frankly naming the guns is completely pointless when the viewers should be concerned with characters and story.

Again file a complaint with Ron Moore, however in all frankness, it's a tv show, yeesh.

Note to self: When Tolkien invented the millenia-long history of Middle-Earth, he wasn't trying to make a good story, he was pandering to a demographic.

When Lucasarts named every ship and weapon in the Star Wars universe, it wasn't part of story-telling, it was pandering to a demographic.

When Rowling spent years working on the mythos and characters of her Harry Potter books, she wasn't interested in story-telling, she was pandering to a demographic.

Any other gems of wisdom, o fanboi-ish one?

Not true at all. Remember the commander of the Pegasus for an episode, The Captains Hand, was promoted from CHIEF ENGINEER! Commander Barry Garner to be exact. So sorry, not true.

That was Pegasus' chief engineer, not Galactica's. So sorry, true. We have never met Galactica's cheif engineer, but appearently they don't need one seeing how Galactica never breaks down.

.......and PANDERING to a demographic.

Have you thought that arguement through? I'm guessing no....

....it's a tv show, yeesh.

LoL... Shatner!

That was Pegasus' chief engineer, not Galactica's.  So sorry, true.  We have never met Galactica's cheif engineer, but appearently they don't need one seeing how Galactica never breaks down.

Actually you imply that by not seeing Galactica's CE that somehow they didn't exist. Again I challenge this to you, explain how forcing the introduction of a character who doesn't advance the overall storyline further is somehow worth meeting?

Never breaks down? Are you watching the same show? There have been a ton of references to how Tyrol and the rest of the crew have been fighting to keep the Galactica running given the resources they now have. The episode after Exodus they show them still trying to put the CIC back together, not to mention the fact that externally the Galactica is pitted and scarred from the battle.

Oh wow, Jag, you actually just proved my point, thanks dude. This bud's for you!

Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, are all hyper dense material, well except for Star Wars (which is just 6 movies with a ton of 3rd party backstory like games and books/comics/etc). Again you're talking about a series of 6 movies and god know's how many spinoff books/games, and 2 book series that on average are thousands of pages long per installment. Whereas BSG is at last count 44 minutes per episode.

I'm not a fanboy, I'm a fan, I don't go to conventions or whatnot, in fact it's ironic you call me out as one when you guys are in fact clammering for names for the guns, tech explanations of the ships, and whatever, and yet I'm here saying that the stuff you guys are demanding really should be needless when we should be focusing on BSG's kickass characters and story arc, because they do in fact kick righteous *albatross*.

We're not the ones defending every decision and plothole the producers, directors, and screenplaywrights have created. You are.

If they had put in the effort (which, IIRC, they've said they won't) to come up with a continuity, there wouldn't be problems with continuity, overabundance of plotholes, lack of gun names, or lack of explanation for how the tech works.

We're not the ones defending every decision and plothole the producers, directors, and screenplaywrights have created. You are.

If they had put in the effort (which, IIRC, they've said they won't) to come up with a continuity, there wouldn't be problems with continuity, overabundance of plotholes, lack of gun names, or lack of explanation for how the tech works.

:D

You called out in what your opinion are knocks against this season. As someone who likes this season very much I offered a counterpoint. No need to get testy here kiddos.

I've NEVER heard them saying they weren't paying attention to continuity. I'd love to hear where you heard that one. Again I don't see the connection between continuity and somehow needing gun names. Go figure.

I think my point has always been that BSG is working to avoid the trap so many other shows fall into, which is to be consumed by the tech that is in the world that surrounds them. A good example, is Firefly, not my favorite show, but you can make a show that acknowledges the world around it without sitting there and pointing to stuff and saying, "lets explain how this works". When shows do that it panders to a specific part of their audience, and by doing so alienates a lot of people who tune in for the story and characters. BSG is that show that bridges sci-fi fans and non sci-fi fans, so it'd be a damn shame to drop the ball now and tech it up just for the sake of tech'ing it up.

Actually you imply that by not seeing Galactica's CE that somehow they didn't exist. Again I challenge this to you, explain how forcing the introduction of a character who doesn't advance the overall storyline further is somehow worth meeting?

He dosen't exist because he hasn't been writen yet. It would be forcing character introduction if he actually had to be there to fix something. But nothing will ever break on Galactica so we're all good....

Never breaks down? Are you watching the same show? There have been a ton of references to how Tyrol and the rest of the crew have been fighting to keep the Galactica running given the resources they now have. The episode after Exodus they show them still trying to put the CIC back together, not to mention the fact that externally the Galactica is pitted and scarred from the battle.

Tryol is part of the flight crew, not the engineers. Those guys fixing stuff in CIC must be engineers (or janitors for all we know); but, we still don't know if they have a boss.

Oh wow, Jag, you actually just proved my point, thanks dude. This bud's for you!

Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, are all hyper dense material, well except for Star Wars (which is just 6 movies with a ton of 3rd party backstory like games and books/comics/etc). Again you're talking about a series of 6 movies and god know's how many spinoff books/games, and 2 book series that on average are thousands of pages long per installment. Whereas BSG is at last count 44 minutes per episode.

No excuse... Michael Okuda knew how everthing but cloaking devices worked when Star Trek was on TV. BSG lacks a lot of the science part of science fiction.

I'm not a fanboy......

s3d5y8.jpg

edited for the Wiki...

Archived