Battlestar Galactica

Aidan

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about space above and beyond ,it was short lived but it was good in my humble opinion. i also agree that comparing the new bsg series to the old 1 is a little off as with the new 1 they had more money and better effects to use , but i still like the old 1 till it all went a little stupid after they got to earth

I am sorry to say that though I am th the OP of this topic, I've kinda fallen out of the BSG loop (School <_<).  I'll have to go buy the season 3 dvd when I can first get my hands on it/ when it comes out.

m8 go on to page 2 i think of this thread there is a link to a web site were u can watch bsg on line for free , i'm in uk and just watched season 3 epasode 1 and it is good

I believe Battlestar is aired in the UK months behind the US. Hence, the need to download to stay current, or be very patient.

P.S. Season 3 so far is the greatest thing I have ever seen on television. They just did a boxing episode, that when I saw the preview for it, I thought for sure it was going to suck, hard.

Well, not a shot was fired, not one glimpse of a Viper, and it still was one of the best hours of television I have ever had the priveledge of watching. It shouldn't have worked - the boxing, the flashbacks - it shouldn't have worked, but oh man, did it ever. Such a great show - I will never doubt again.

I hated the boxing episode <_<

I didn't like it much either.... I think I would've liked it if it were MMA fights, but maybe not.

*possible spoilers*

I also don't like Starbucks story arc this season. I'm cool how well the part is being played, but I hate how a character I enjoyed as a child warped for extra drama. I'll stop there before a drop spoilers.

..... Greedo shooting first, Bumble Bee is a Camero, Dukes of Hazard movie sucking, Herbie the love bug in Nascar, and Starbucks' character arc. Its almost like my childhood is being rewritten. :(

People are warped. Starbuck is an approximation of a human. Ergo, in a military sci-fi/anti-space opera show like Battlestar Galactica, Starbuck, like all humans, will be warped.

I know what you're talking about, but at what point do you draw the line? The best dramatic characters are the ones with deep emotional or personal problems, but where dose it end.

When they can stop running from genocidal robots and the children are out of the house?

Oh, BSG Dog Tags. I'd rather have customized dog tags... why can't they do that? Customized BSG dog tags with your choice of Battlestar (maybe even let you invent your own and assign it its own battle group number). *Le sigh.*

EDIT: Aha. :lol: The Five-seveNs even have the FN-H tag and 'FN-Herstal' on the slide... even on the resin prop guns.

EDIT 2: Looks like they're also going to release replica rank insignia. And pilot's wings. (Replica jump wings would be nicer... but then, we haven't seen any jump-qualified Marines, yet.)

..... Greedo shooting first, Bumble Bee is a Camero,  Dukes of Hazard movie sucking,  Herbie the love bug in Nascar, and Starbucks' character arc.  Its almost like my childhood is being rewritten.  :(

Get used to it.

Everything gets rewritten. Wait until "history" that you've lived thru gets rewritten, thats an enjoyable life moment. Its sort of a: You're old + young people are unchangably stupid = realizations like this suck.

EDIT: Boxing episode was ok. I liked it filling in some holes. I can stomach Dualla now abit more knowing she's in for a dump. But she's still all eyeballs and forehead. I'd still take Starbuck even if she is afraid of "normal and happy".

I'd take the beautifull eyeballs and forhead Dualla over that bipolar butch man/girl Starbuck anyday. But maybe that's just me...

Or I could pull a Baltar and have them both... at once.... all he's got to do is bed a Boomer to pull off the Cylon Trifecta.

When they can stop running from genocidal robots and the children are out of the house?

I get what your saying, but making a character a basket case because its cool and the actor can pull it off is kind of.... I don't know, disingenuous.

Get used to it. 

Everything gets rewritten. Wait until "history" that you've lived thru gets rewritten, thats an enjoyable life moment. Its sort of a:  You're old + young people are unchangably stupid = realizations like this suck.

I don't think I'm too old, I think it's people that aren't creative recycling what was popular. Like VH1's I love the x0's......

edited for spelling...

What I'm not happy with:

Every major character to be executed somehow escaped (Roslin, Zarek, Tyrol's waifu).

The escape from New Caprica was too easy and too early in the Season.

The Pegasus showed up like the cavalry. Only, unlike the cavalry, it was on time.

Hera was found/captured/adopted by the Cylons.

The Cylons are, for no particular reason, now out to find earth.

'Apollo' Adama is a latter day renaisance man: He leads Marines into battle, flies Vipers in combat ops, commands a squadron of Raptors, heads investigations into civil affairs, and even commanded a Battlestar.

Still no recurring Marine characters.

Somehow, just because a Basestar is nearby, that automatically means that a Resship is nearby.

'Helo' managed to kill the infected Cylons in time to save their race.

'Bulldog' manages to find their fleet and yet they don't ask How did he find our fleet? Cylons tailing them (obviously Cylon DRADIS and stealth technology is superior to Colonial equivalents, as the Cylons were able to detect and destroy a Colonial stealth recce craft within moments of it crossing the Armastice Line)?

Of course, this all goes back to Cain being killed by Pegasus Six.

And so on. They're getting too many breaks and the show is beginning to feel too predictable and too mainstream (and too many plotholes).

The most recent two episodes: The Passage and the boxing one have been pretty good. But other than that, they haven't been particularly good.

What I'm not happy with:

Every major character to be executed somehow escaped (Roslin, Zarek, Tyrol's waifu).

Umm dude, they all escaped because they were rescued, sorry.

The escape from New Caprica was too easy and too early in the Season.

Again, umm, thousands of people died during the occupation, they lost vipers, the Pegasus, Tigh's wife died, I'd hardly call it easy. And also it was WAY too expensive to have the new caprica set for more than those 4 episodes. Listen to the podcasts.

The Pegasus showed up like the cavalry. Only, unlike the cavalry, it was on time.

The Pegasus overstayed its welcome, keep in mind the original Pegasus only lasted two episodes, so the fact that we got 14 episodes was pretty cool. Plus it's Battlestar GALACTICA.

Hera was found/captured/adopted by the Cylons.

Well she was on the planet, and did you really want the baby to be the focal point of the season again like it was in Season 2?

The Cylons are, for no particular reason, now out to find earth.

Actually it's quite clear why they're after earth, the Cylon race needs to find a home as their species is dying, gene pool and whatnot, Caprica Six stated this a 3-4 eps back.

'Apollo' Adama is a latter day renaisance man: He leads Marines into battle, flies Vipers in combat ops, commands a squadron of Raptors, heads investigations into civil affairs, and even commanded a Battlestar.

Again people have to wear a lot of hats, there are only 42,119 people left in the fleet, and only so many colonial officers, of course they're going to have to split duties. Secondly he's one of the main characters, I'd rather see him doing that then some guest star.

Still no recurring Marine characters.

:rolleyes: pfft, they're canon fodder, it's always been a show about an aircraft carrier in space. This seems more like a "wouldn't it be cool kinda thing" than a serious knock on the show.

Somehow, just because a Basestar is nearby, that automatically means that a Resship is nearby.

Umm, that's not the case either, the ressurection ship has only been seen traveling with one of the main fleets, like the one baltar is on, it wasn't present in the attack on New Caprica. This isn't a change from last season, as there are basestars in strike formations then other larger fleets where a ressurection ship is nearby. Keep in mind they also use it for transmitting the conciousness of raiders as well.

'Helo' managed to kill the infected Cylons in time to save their race.

Yes, so? If not the whole story kinda would have been over, or you would have had a lame excuse for why cylon of the week was somehow immune.

'Bulldog' manages to find their fleet and yet they don't ask How did he find our fleet? Cylons tailing them (obviously Cylon DRADIS and stealth technology is superior to Colonial equivalents, as the Cylons were able to detect and destroy a Colonial stealth recce craft within moments of it crossing the Armastice Line)?

Again story conceit, although that was weak I admit.

Frankly I like this season a lot, I don't want to see cylon battles each week, that's why the old show sucked, it was in the same way CSI is a procedural show, each week a battle, the same battle over and over, whereas in this show when the cylons do show up it's special. Keep in mind the fleet is evading the Cylons so you wouldn't see battle after battle. Either way, still the best show on TV.

I don't mind the lack of fighting. Drama am good. Blowing *beep* up is good, too, but too much and you lose your taste for it.

Oh, and if the Cylons could detect and destroy the Stealth Star, why couldn't they detect and destroy the Blackbird before it got too close to the Resship? Might be different stealth technologies used....

And having a show based around an aircraft carrier with no Marine or SEAL-like characters is like having Tears of the Sun without the SEALs.

I don't mind the lack of fighting. Drama am good. Blowing *beep* up is good, too, but too much and you lose your taste for it.

Oh, and if the Cylons could detect and destroy the Stealth Star, why couldn't they detect and destroy the Blackbird before it got too close to the Resship? Might be different stealth technologies used....

And having a show based around an aircraft carrier with no Marine or SEAL-like characters is like having Tears of the Sun without the SEALs.

Maybe different technologies, but you also have to understand what a story conceit is, listen to the commentaries, Ron Moore acknowledges these. i.e why don't raptors have tinted windows to avoid being blinded, why do the helmets have lights in them? because we need to be able to see the actor's face. Some story conceits just happen.

As for the Marines, again that seems like it's a wish on the part of a military fan, the marines are NOT part of the core cast of characters, it's like demanding to see more Chefs involved in the story. The show is NOT based on the marines, it's based on a dozen or so characters who progress the story along. *beep* I bet the guys who handle the solid waste have more going on than the Marines, again I just want them to be background. And as for Tears of the Sun, yeesh, lets not reference sub par films in relation to battlestar, ;) I get your point, I just don't see the need for them to be anything but the redshirts or the guys who run in and blow up a frakkin toaster once and a while. *beep* spend more time with the grease monkeys, they're far more interesting of characters than the Marines.

Archived