The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PSS2 = APS2 part, I've heard it doesn't quite fit the APS96 but thats only anecdotal.

some parts are common, as i found out when trawling for bits for mine, but the only thing i can remember is common is the piston head. some sites tell you which are, eg it will say piston head PSS2/PSS96.

other sites dont say. it can be... annoying!

I just bought PSS96 parts, never really worried about commonallity because there was simply never a need to. In this case I know for a fact that the PSS2 Aero Chamber isn't any better (in some respects its worse) than the PDI hop so I wouldn't ever advise anyone to buy it.

Yes, it is annoying to only get 50% of the facts however :)

yar true.

i only found out as i was pimping mine, and needed a piston head, and couldnt find a PSS96 it stock anywhere, and then found out that it was the same as the PSS2 :)

although i struggle to believe ANYTHING is worse than the PDI hop chamber. it drives me to tears and rage on a regular basis, and it still aint right...

*nod*

I ditched mine and went back to the standard hop + OK Projects barrel. The Firefly is damn good but its an fiddly S.O.B to tune and I could only get enough hop-up out of it (on .29's) at close to 600fps which meant that skirmishing was out the window. Shame really, because it was ridiculously consistent.

Well, when I've just set the hop and threadlocked it in place, I can hit coke cans at 50m on a perfect day, and a sheet of A4 at 70....But...(there's always a but) the shot to shot consistency isn't as good as a VSR, and the hop has a habit of unwinding itself because of the vibration caused by the return of the piston which APS' seem prone to (can also shake the magazine loose if I don't tape it in).

Its not as good as I would like (its not as good as my old VSR) but it was the first bolt action I ever bought, and Its never let me down so I can accept that there are better rifles out there for less cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Heavier ammo lowers FPS, but it doesn't lower energy output. In fact, it marginally increases it. But that's not important. What it does that matters, is gives you extra range, and accuracy. Don't use .2s, they're rubbish. I'd be useing .25s or .28s at that FPS. Depends on how much hop you can get, and how you like your gun to fire. The heavier ammo also gets to distance targets faster than lighter ammo, as it keeps it momentum better.

Oh dear. Heavier ammo lowers FPS, but it doesn't lower energy output. In fact, it marginally increases it. But that's not important. What it does that matters, is gives you extra range, and accuracy. Don't use .2s, they're rubbish. I'd be useing .25s or .28s at that FPS. Depends on how much hop you can get, and how you like your gun to fire. The heavier ammo also gets to distance targets faster than lighter ammo, as it keeps it momentum better.

This.

Tokyo Marui .25's or possibly Madbull Match Grade is my own choice, but equally some good .28's will do the job.

Just thought you guys would like to know:

Found this while searching for a zero trigger for my Well type 96:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Trigger_...soft_Rifle/2642

They will sell UTG stock triggers for peanuts.

Looks exactly like the stock well trigger, I think it will fit, hope the quality is the same.

Now, my stock trigger box lasted for quite some time with a 180 spring, so you can get 10 of these and it will still be cheaper then one zero trigger...

Just thought you guys would like to know:

Found this while searching for a zero trigger for my Well type 96:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_Trigger_...soft_Rifle/2642

They will sell UTG stock triggers for peanuts.

Looks exactly like the stock well trigger, I think it will fit, hope the quality is the same.

Now, my stock trigger box lasted for quite some time with a 180 spring, so you can get 10 of these and it will still be cheaper then one zero trigger...

i purchased one of these and it is the exact same. Minus a small nub of plastic that mine (warrior one) didnt have. The UTG mags seem to have the same thing, but unlike the mags i didnt have to shave it down on the trigger assembly

We need more info on the TM L96! :D Noticed it in the news section, was mighty surprised. Wonder if it is just a VSR re-bodied :P

Looks to be gas unless they have placed a cosmetic falsg mag on the body for the sake of appearances (its also included in a slideshow of purely Gas rifles/pistols so you never know I guess....).

It is not exactly VSR.

- Different trigger house, same trigger house internals. It uses the 45 degree system which has many cons and no pros compared to the L96 90 degree system.

- Different cylinder (lower diameter)

- Different cylinder internals (slimmer)

- Different hopup (probably mini VSR, like in the MP002, but who knows)

I'd not burry the APS L96 just yet.

By the way, just fixed my broken plastic trigger house with 2 7mm/20mm/20mm alu blocks. The plastic tabs broke. So I removed the remaining tabs. Drilled through the alu blocks with a 3.2mm drill for the screws. Put on the trigger house and installed the cylinder guide. Finally screwd on the blocks and guess what, it holds firmly :). It took like 30 mins.

Also installed a Hexagon Product Hopup chamber, a 509mm 6.03 Prometheus AEG barrel, a Firefly hard AEG rubber, Hexagon Product barrel spacers, KingArms piston and Laylax priston head. Spring, cylinder, spring guide is still stock.

I managed to do headshots at 82m (distance according to Google earth) and had no problem to hit chest sized targets using MadBull .4 BB. I shot 6-7 full mags and averaged 5 headshots, 12 chest hit and 3 fliers / mag.

Now I'm officially happy with my Warrior1 :)

And officially unhappy with my VSR after installing a PDI Trigger house and a SP170 spring. The trigger pull is ultra ultra hard.

Funny, I always said it'd be possible to sort out the Warrior trigger housing by fitting a metal U-shaped bracket all the way around the trigger housing which support the plastic housing and replace the tabs.

Alas, when I saw a K2 trigger housing on eBay for £20 I grabbed it and forgot about any other possibilities.

I've purchased a HP hop-up myself although I suppose I might've asked them to give me one for free seeing as how their item looks IDENTICAL to the way I have modified the original unit. <_<

In the end, I think it's a bit silly when people say "this means the end for..." because, at the end of the day, there really can be only one "best" thing.

If we all wanted "the best" then we'd all be using a VSR10 sniper rifle, a G36 assault rifle and a TM 1911 pistol.

We're not though.

Vive la difference! ;)

Why is it so hard to find a zero trigger or anything similar in stock? This is making me upset!!!!!! I want to hook up my gun for my desert sniping. Need the range!! Anyone know of a place in the states that has them in stock?

Archived