Imperial Guard

In my opinion anything that is loaded by a blocky rifle magazine that has little to no wood furniture fits fine as a Lasgun, a FAMAS or AUG could be used to represent a bullpup model for drop ship forces or similar.

Why with no wood furniture? The Tanith First and Only are well documented in having wood stocks from their homeworld on their lasguns, and the Tallarn regiments are known for using long, ornate, wood-stocked lasguns, as are the Vostroyan First Born.

And you also appear to be missing the point as well. It's all about the look. It's all well and good saying, oh, but there's so much choice out there you can use ANYTHING, but unless it fits with the look, you're better off using a crutch. Like Capacious Zephyr pointed out, throw together a really good sci-fi loadout but use a SCAR with it, the part that will let the whole look down will be the SCAR.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyrian.

Take a chill pill.

You have no evidence to support your point. I have no evidence to support my point. We're both vetting opinions.

It amazes me how worked up you are getting over a hypothetical IG impression.

As for the green stripes on a black SCAR... inspired by Jungle Spectre's load-out, what do you think the SCAR SSR would be used for? If it were going to be a bog standard infantry load-out, I would go with straight black, black with OD furniture (ala the M41A Pulse Rifle and the vast majority of Cadian Lasguns), or black metal with birch/walnut/whatever.

That was what you call a Nerd-On-Nerd Beatdown.

Also, are you sure the Flamethrower in the Alien franchise was black Lex? It was silver in Alien, although those were probably meant to be civi versions. I haven't seen Aliens in awhile, so I can't remember the 'Get To Da APC' scene clearly enough?

Ben.

I think the SCAR-H SSR could also be a good base to start from if I am being honest.

airsoft_VFC_SCAR-h_D.jpg

Lasgun.jpg

A bit of minor modification to the looks of the scar and you would also have something resembling a lasgun.

As fireknife pointed out, there are millions of world that the Guard draw their regiments and quite alot of Guard fiction has described different lasgun patterns for the different regiments. Now, as you guys in the 9th are all the same regiment, it would make sense you had the same pattern.

Also, are you sure the Flamethrower in the Alien franchise was black Lex? It was silver in Alien, although those were probably meant to be civi versions. I haven't seen Aliens in awhile, so I can't remember the 'Get To Da APC' scene clearly enough?

Ben.

They were home made incinerators in alien (only one 'real' gun on display and Dallas had that (i think) the incinerators were a dirty white/grey colour with two different tank colours), they were black in aliens.

Kyrian.

Take a chill pill.

You have no evidence to support your point. I have no evidence to support my point. We're both vetting opinions.

It amazes me how worked up you are getting over a hypothetical IG impression.

No evidence? Despite me pointing out that the G36 looks a hell of a lot more like a lasgun than a SCAR, that there are actual documented pictures of lasgun parts that look like the airsoft parts the 9th have put on their guns? Despite there not being a single weapon in the 40K universe that resembles a SCAR?

Wow.

Until you can come back with an actual IG impression (which I and other current members of the 9th can), you need to take a step back. All I see from you is pushing to use a SCAR and putting up plans for loadouts. Put your gorram money where your mouth is and actually show us some progress on your supposed loadout, and not just something you've thrown together in 5 minutes. Put the same effort someone like Cyber_Soldier, Treadhead, Gor or myself have put in, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be taken seriously.

Ben.

Yeah, it was black. As was pointed out, the flamethrowers used in Alien were different to the military-style one in Aliens. It's a real bastardisation of an M16 and looks like it's been held together with bondo and then rolled in the dirt for a few years, but it's black beneath the ######. Here's a pic:

flamethrower1lge.jpg

I think the SCAR-H SSR could also be a good base to start from if I am being honest.

*snip*

A bit of minor modification to the looks of the scar and you would also have something resembling a lasgun.

As I've pointed out for the millionth time...it would need too much modification for it to not be instantly recognisable as a SCAR. That was the main thing we were trying to achieve when we picked the G36. How do you identify a G36? The see-through magazine, the stock, the carry-handle and the handguard, and to a certain extent, the reciever. What's been changed to make it into a las? The magazine well has been swapped out (no more see-through mags), the stock has been changed for a solid one (no more skeleton stock), the carry-handle has been changed for a C-rail and the hole filled in (which has now changed quite possibly the most recognisable feature of a G36), and a shroud has been put over the flash-hider (which helps to distort the outline slightly of the front end). All of this serves to bring it closer to what a lasgun looks like, and makes it less readily identifiable as a G36. If I were to show my girlfriend a lasgun and a G36, she'd have to look closely to see they were the same gun underneath. The only parts that would be the same would be the pistol grip, the reciever and the foregrip.

To achieve the same result with a SCAR is nigh on impossible. Too much needs changing and the parts just simply aren't there. Sure, you could whack on a new flash-hider, put a short mag in and call it a lasgun, but as has been pointed out many times before, it would just look wrong and doesn't fit with any look other than the latest US Army/SF. So unless you can actually go looking and show me after-market parts you can use on the SCAR that would make it less recognisable and more lasgun-ish...it's just not happening.

Also

Now, as you guys in the 9th are all the same regiment, it would make sense you had the same pattern.

You should listen and take heed, Jag. This man makes sense. Cadian regiments all use the same rifle and armour. Why not Scarovian?

No evidence? Despite me pointing out that the G36 looks a hell of a lot more like a lasgun than a SCAR, that there are actual documented pictures of lasgun parts that look like the airsoft parts the 9th have put on their guns? Despite there not being a single weapon in the 40K universe that resembles a SCAR?

Did you miss Azubi's post? It even had a picture in it!

Until you can come back with an actual IG impression (which I and other current members of the 9th can), you need to take a step back. All I see from you is pushing to use a SCAR and putting up plans for loadouts. Put your gorram money where your mouth is and actually show us some progress on your supposed loadout, and not just something you've thrown together in 5 minutes. Put the same effort someone like Cyber_Soldier, Treadhead, Gor or myself have put in, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be taken seriously.

Why don't you send me some of your extra money? I'll make a new airsoft load-out, then.

In the meantime, I'll keep spending my hard-earned only-slightly-better-than-minimum-wage-in-a-city-with-absurdly-high-cost-of-living money on what I can afford.

As I've pointed out for the millionth time...it would need too much modification for it to not be instantly recognisable as a SCAR. That was the main thing we were trying to achieve when we picked the G36. How do you identify a G36? The see-through magazine, the stock, the carry-handle and the handguard, and to a certain extent, the reciever.

How about the silhouette?

What's been changed to make it into a las? The magazine well has been swapped out (no more see-through mags),

But remove the mag from the magwell and....

the stock has been changed for a solid one (no more skeleton stock), the carry-handle has been changed for a C-rail and the hole filled in (which has now changed quite possibly the most recognisable feature of a G36),

Both of which do nothing to change the silhouette of the weapon.

and a shroud has been put over the flash-hider (which helps to distort the outline slightly of the front end).

And a muzzle device is a five-second fix.

If I were to show my girlfriend a lasgun and a G36, she'd have to look closely to see they were the same gun underneath. The only parts that would be the same would be the pistol grip, the reciever and the foregrip.

What? If you were to show your girlfriend an undressed G36 and your G36, I'd be surprised if she could not identify them as being the same.

To achieve the same result with a SCAR is nigh on impossible.

No one has attempted it, yet. So how can you know?

Sure, you could whack on a new flash-hider, put a short mag in

And this is where I stopped reading, because I know you've done the same, having written that.

You should listen and take heed, Jag. This man makes sense. Cadian regiments all use the same rifle and armour. Why not Scarovian?

Kyrian... I was never a member of the 9th. The back story was that we'd all have similar kit and be affiliated internationally because we'd all be from the same system. But Europeans (particularly Brits) would be from one planet, Scarovar, North Americans from another, Libertas, and Hong Kong was... well... I don't rightly recall.

Did you miss Azubi's post? It even had a picture in it!

I saw it, and like I said, there are still too many differences.

Why don't you send me some of your extra money? I'll make a new airsoft load-out, then.

In the meantime, I'll keep spending my hard-earned only-slightly-better-than-minimum-wage-in-a-city-with-absurdly-high-cost-of-living money on what I can afford.

I can pretty much guarantee you make more than me...and I still have an actual loadout. You've got no excuse.

How about the silhouette?

Which has been changed drastically by the mods.

But remove the mag from the magwell and....

...you have a lasgun without a magazine in...?

Both of which do nothing to change the silhouette of the weapon.

I'm sorry, what? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I fail to see how replacing a skeleton stock for one that's solid and getting rid of a hole doesn't change the silhouette of something. But I guess if you're looking at the Braille version of the silhouette, then I guess I have no case. My bad.

And a muzzle device is a five-second fix.

Well it takes a bit longer for the glue to dry, but yeah, I guess you're right.

What? If you were to show your girlfriend an undressed G36 and your G36, I'd be surprised if she could not identify them as being the same.

Well considering I don't have a G36...and that was the whole point of the post. Well done for noticing.

No one has attempted it, yet. So how can you know?

You're the one pushing the SCAR, so I leave it up to you to show me the different after-market parts available for the SCAR that would turn it into a lasgun.

And this is where I stopped reading, because I know you've done the same, having written that.

Le sigh.

Kyrian... I was never a member of the 9th. The back story was that we'd all have similar kit and be affiliated internationally because we'd all be from the same system. But Europeans (particularly Brits) would be from one planet, Scarovar, North Americans from another, Libertas, and Hong Kong was... well... I don't rightly recall.

My point still stands. Cadian regiments and the vast majority of the surrounding systems all use Cadian pattern equipment. Hell, even the bloody Catachans use Cadian-pattern wire-stocked lasguns. So if Libertas was in the same system...it would still use the same equipment as the Scarovians. Unless, of course, they ended up using Cadian equipment...

Sure, the silhouette on that SCAR matches the pic of the lasgun in the pics Azubi posted, but thats the Cadian pattern lasgun with the longer front end.

To an ex Catachan player like me, they look a bit off (being used to the shorter front end that the Catachan are issued with).

While it's obvious who I agree with on this issue, the arguing needs to stop as it's gone on long enough and obviously neither side will change his mind. We know that you think the SCAR would make a good 40K rifle, Jag. Since it seems you have no intention to build a 40K themed SCAR, could you drop it now?

- Zepher

SCAR as a base weapon looks closer to a lasgun than a G36 to me personally, but I don't want to get into a 3 page long bawwfest about it if thats ok.

Also this chap in my eyes is probably the best Cadian impression i've seen done so far

1932487.jpg

But thats probably because he bothered with the helmet.

I can pretty much guarantee you make more than me...and I still have an actual loadout. You've got no excuse.

How is that? Are you unemployed? Because that's the only way you're making less than I am.

Which has been changed drastically modestly by the mods.

...you have a lasgun G36 without a magazine in...?

Fixed.

I'm sorry, what? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I fail to see how replacing a skeleton stock for one that's solid and getting rid of a hole doesn't change the silhouette of something. But I guess if you're looking at the Braille version of the silhouette, then I guess I have no case. My bad.

Congratulations, you filled in negative space.

Well considering I don't have a G36...and that was the whole point of the post. Well done for noticing.

I'm sorry. I cannot read your mind. I do not know who you are. I do not know your particularly situation and what you have or don't have. And if you don't have a G36, you must not really have your IG load-out, any more.

You're the one pushing the SCAR, so I leave it up to you to show me the different after-market parts available for the SCAR that would turn it into a lasgun.

The SCAR would work as is. Just add some aquilae to it.

My point still stands. Cadian regiments and the vast majority of the surrounding systems all use Cadian pattern equipment. Hell, even the bloody Catachans use Cadian-pattern wire-stocked lasguns. So if Libertas was in the same system...it would still use the same equipment as the Scarovians. Unless, of course, they ended up using Cadian equipment...

I thought you were around during the Founding of the Scarovar and Libertas regiments, I guess not. If you were, you would recall that every planet had a different weapon on which their Lasguns were based. And the reasons for the differences were actually worked into the backstory that I wrote and everyone tacitly or expressly agreed upon.

In any case, the reasons can be summed up thus: The system was cut off from the Imperium for millenia by warpstorms. During this time, each planet fell into chaos and gradually worked their way back out of it, independent of every other planet. The end result being that each planet had their own TO&E. Libertas Lasguns were based on the M14, Scarovar on the G36 and... I don't rightly recall what the HK team used. The reason behind the Libertas one being an M14 is that the Libertas Lasguns were/are based on older, bulkier technology, while the Scarovarians pulled themselves out of the anarchy earlier and thus improved upon their weapons, making them smaller with more compact battery packs.

Just to reiterate:

While it's obvious who I agree with on this issue, the arguing needs to stop as it's gone on long enough and obviously neither side will change his mind. We know that you think the SCAR would make a good 40K rifle, Jag. Since it seems you have no intention to build a 40K themed SCAR, could you drop it now?

- Zepher

But I will answer two of your points.

How is that? Are you unemployed?

Nail firmly banged on head.

Libertas Lasguns were based on the M14, Scarovar on the G36 and... I don't rightly recall what the HK team used. The reason behind the Libertas one being an M14 is that the Libertas Lasguns were/are based on older, bulkier technology, while the Scarovarians pulled themselves out of the anarchy earlier and thus improved upon their weapons, making them smaller with more compact battery packs.

So with you being in Libertas...why the hell do you keep banging on about SCARs? :huh: It's already been decided. So mod your M14 and actually get yourself a loadout. Job's a good 'un.

With a bit of fiddling around in MS Paint, I found you can doll up a HSSR (specifically, not the regular SCAR) to look pretty much as close to a las as you can a G36. It wouldn't be nearly as easy, but also not impossible. The only hard part is the stock, which I am fairly sure you can't change. However, you can throw on a las-style flash hider, mod up an optic to go on the top (on top of some kind of riser platform, for the heck of it), throw some aquliae, and Bob's your uncle. I doubt that a significant number of people will be able to recognize that version of the SCAR right off the bat as it stands. It also got me thinking that a Masada could be a better platform than a SCAR for a las conversion.

Try a skeleton stock on the HSSR and make the front grip deeper, as for the MASADA it has a similar problem to the SCAR, G36 and M14, they are all very recognisable silhouette's. The mods on the G36 are extensive and do alter the profile, not actually seen the M14 mods as yet (might get another body and see what I can come up with as I have an M14), thinking either a mini 14 type with full length barrel (for the old type las gun) at the moment, might mock something up and see what it looks like.

I never thought i would ever see this but stop bloody arguing about what would make a good lasgun.

As i have already said the Guard are so vast players are capable of using just about any rifle as a Lasgun due to the vast scope of the Guard.

In the extra bits kits from long ago they even had an autogun that looked like an Armalite and a Lasgun that had a stockless AK look to it.

'FireKnife'

What is it though with the sci-fi threads they always enter a discussion about basically, 'no that isn't 100% accurate / real' often with people forgetting this is sci-fi, not the real world and thus in many instances anything is possible, like in the Zombie Hunter thread too.

I could wear just about any camo and any set of old style webbing and body armour with a non-bullpup rifle and be a Guardsman, just because it doesn't look 100& like a Cadian is irrelevant in my opinion so long as you have the right kind of insignia and play with the right attitude anything is acceptable.

Wish we could stop with the elitism sometimes, have any of you that often make these high and mighty or otherwise argumantative posts actually tried the loadout yourself?

Sorry if this seems like a rant but i don't see why sci-fi needs to be that accurate.

'FireKnife'

Tell you what

You shut up about 1911s and Last Man Standing, and we'll promise never to argue about sci-fi again. Deal?

EDIT:

Wish we could stop with the elitism sometimes, have any of you that often make these high and mighty or otherwise argumantative posts actually tried the loadout yourself?

I'd just like to point out that I was one of the first, if not THE first, in the 9th to have a skirmishable loadout, and was one of the first to actually skirmish in the loadout (did a weekend at Gunman with the Commissar and the LT). Plus, my lascarbine was the prototype that Treadhead modified from a G36C, and some of those mods are still being used today, I believe. So if anything, I'm the most qualified here (unless Cyber_Soldier or Treadhead want to speak up).

Archived