Battery Care....

FUmiYAsu

I hear you!

But the charger I have clearly states OUTPUT!

Output: 12V --- 250mA 3VA

CaRaBuS

Ripmax AC Charger

For NiCad/Ni-MH

For 7.2 - 8.4V NiCad/Ni-MH

Input:230V-50Hz

Output: 12V --- 250mA 3VA

erm...jesus that seems a bit dodgy.... you got the model number for that ?

unless the output is the maximum it can output....

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Apex,

The model number is: A21225B

Part No: 0-TD7/8

CaRaBuS

Could not find any info on that one....

Re the pro peak 2500vp, it is ment as a fast charger, now for some they don't mind fast charging batterys, but i come from the old school of battery charging where they are charged slowly...

The one thing i don't like about the pro peak 2500vp that i have is that the trickle charge is not controable and theres no readout of exactly the current you are putting into the battery, guess am picky but that delta ten if it was a mains powered charger would be perfect.

Drew

I have the utg ak47 war hawk and a bought 2 new 8.4v 1800mah batteries. On another site it says to charge it for 6 hours with the charger that comes with the gun. Of the two different ways of posted to calculate charge time I got 25 hours and 4.2 hours. How long should I charge them for so i dont fry them?

thanks

I have the utg ak47 war hawk and a bought 2 new 8.4v 1800mah batteries. On another site it says to charge it for 6 hours with the charger that comes with the gun.  Of the two different ways of posted to calculate charge time I got 25 hours and 4.2 hours.  How long should  I charge them for so i dont fry them?

thanks

At what rate does your charger charge?

And does anyone know if i can resolder the wires on a crane stock battery if they broke off? I dont feel like dropping another 80 bucks for a new battery =/

Aparently trying to force 12V into a 8.4V battery will damage it, I kinda think that sounds about right. R22Master sure sounds like he know's his stuff! I don't want to blow/damage/waste my £45 Batteries just to find out!  <_<

CaRaBuS

Electrical charge, like water, flows from higher to lower level.. until they even up or equalize. A good condition rechargeable cell can reach 1.65v when fully charged. An 8.4v pack has 7 cells. That means, it will need a minimum 1.65v x 7 or 11.55v to charge the cells to maximum potential.

At what rate does your charger charge?

And does anyone know if i can resolder the wires on a crane stock battery if they broke off? I dont feel like dropping another 80 bucks for a new battery =/

Of course you can!

My fuse burned out so I had to by-pass it to continue the day, but that lead to my friends battery heating (then smoking) when I put it in and tried firring it. I will now rember to take a spare fuse with me next time. And a new 8.4 battery with a higher Mah is also on my list as my gun is ubber power hungry.

• 4 weeks later...

My M14 runs on a 10.8V battery, and on the front of my ProPeak 2500 charger, it says 7.2V - 9.6V I havent tried charging it yet, but I have a few questions. What would happen if i did try? Am i going to need to buy a new charger? And because it's 10.8V, is that going to make a difference to the charge time calculatios?

Question: I have a 3300 mah NiMh battery. Now i know i don't need to discharge this after use, but one weekend i fire about 3,000 shots. Using black magic formula's thats about half the batt's capacity? Ye? Anyway, it sais on it to give it a 15 hour charge. Do i give it less time as it still has half capacity left over? Will a full 15 hour charge do anything to it? Thanks in advance. :)

http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_type/2..._Gun_Packs.html

7th down:

Type: NiMH

Capacity: 2000mAh

Voltage: 9.6v

Description: GP 9.6volt 2Ah rechargeable battery pack for Airsoft guns Will fit in the M4A1 rifle in the for grip if you take out the plate (if fitted) that holds the fuse and insulate any conections,each half of the pack is aprox 33mm wide x 87mm long

Piccu:

579.jpg

Going for £38, any use?

My question is using the TLP 4000C charger on fast charge there seems to be a buzzing sound coming from some of my batteries, any ideas? I though the source of the noise was the connector but its the pack itself O_o

Also, I set the thing to the lowest charge setting, switch to fast charge, then dial it to whatever mA matches the batteries, yet when I did this my ICS M4 ate both minis (1100 GP btw) very quickly. Now although it might be something to do with the shims and a dry gearbox (looking into) could it be that they simply got a duff charge?

Thanks for the reference RSM. Bought two Intellect 9.6v 1400mah packs off E-bay instead, for a total of 42quid.

As for the buzzing noise I've defenitely heard it before. Not sure why both your minis went out early that day, I'm not much of an electrical guy. Does your ICS sound any different now than it did the last few times you used it?

No, I've had metal bushings fitted if thats what you were thinking is related. I mean it could just be the amount of rounds I was pumping out but they did seem to go down quicker than expected, the other thing is I know you will get some heat build up in the grip but the thing was getting much warmer than I thought it should do.

I just think it may be a combination of increased motor load due to possibly overly tight shimming and the batteries dying faster because of this, or trying to rapid charge them at too high a mA

At any rate I've got both my M4s in for servicing at Airsoft Scotland and I can learn to use this TLP properly using my G36C XD

Probably been asked before but another question:

I know that the general rule is that 9.6 offers greater rate of fire over an 8.4v battery. However talking to some players they tell me that the mAh of a battery also has an effect. So am I right to believe that using a 9.6v 3300 mah battery over a 9.6 1100 mah battery will have a slightly higher rate of fire?

Only if the internal resistance is lower...in most cases 3300mah sub-c have an IR range of 3-8mOhms, depending on the quality. If the 1100 pack is the 1100mah they are at 6mOhms.

While the IB cells in 1200 are at 8.5mOhms.

Think of IR as an obstruction...the more obstructed it is...the harder it is for the power to flow.

My M14 runs on a 10.8V battery, and on the front of my ProPeak 2500 charger, it says 7.2V - 9.6V I havent tried charging it yet, but I have a few questions. What would happen if i did try? Am i going to need to buy a new charger? And because it's 10.8V, is that going to make a difference to the charge time calculatios?

I once mentioned that voltage, like water, flows from higher potential to lower.. and equalizes when both sides are of same level. A fully charged good condition cell reaches as high as 1.6v. That means in order to fully charge a series of cells.. the charging voltage must be at least same, or higher, than the total voltage of all cells in the series. A 10.8v battery pack has 9 cells. Even at only a nominal 1.5v per cell, the charge voltage must be 1.5v x 9 = 13.5v. Since the ProPeak 2500 states up to 9.6v (or cells) only.. then we cam assume that the output voltage is only 12v. If the charge can detect the number of cells, the it will probably refuse to work. NOw.. even if does accept and start charging.. the pack voltage will only go as high as 12v overall.. still short of the 13.5v peak.. there may be no peak detection and the charge will keep running indefinitely.

Charge time calculations are based on current (mAh) and not necessarily on voltage. Given that charge voltage is sufficiently higher than the battery's.. the MAh capacities and charging current are the same.. then a 7.2v pack will take as long to charge as a 10.8v or even a 12v pack.

Question: I have a 3300 mah NiMh battery. Now i know i don't need to discharge this after use, but one weekend i fire about 3,000 shots. Using black magic formula's thats about half the batt's capacity? Ye? Anyway, it sais on it to give it a 15 hour charge. Do i give it less time as it still has half capacity left over? Will a full 15 hour charge do anything to it? Thanks in advance.  :)

If you have a charger that has peak detection, then simply plug in and charge anytime - the charger will simply cut off when charge level has reached maximum. Otherwise, it gets to be all "guesstimation" and you may undercharge the batteries (which is no problem) or overcharge them (which is obviously bad). It's a safer proposition to flatten your NiMH batteries thru usage or discharging if you don't have an automatic charger.

I recently bought a battery, its a 9.6v 3300mah NIMH battery and I am charging it for the very first time today, I have a 400mA charger and it has been charging for 10 hours and its getting warm. According to the equation It should charge for 11 and a half hours. So what should I do? Ive know its done when it starts getting warm but your also sposed to charge it longer then normal for the first charge. Help please!

ok the charging equation is simple to understand.

but my problem here is with the charging current what formula is required to work out at what current do you charge your battery at. example a 8.4v 1100mah, 2.8v 1200mah, 8.4v 3700mah etc they would all require different charging currents.

i have read that it all depends on your charger current but the chargers i have seen have adjustable charging currents could someone help me with this.!

Yes, the Peak detection is deifferent for Nimh and Nicad, I think from memory Nimh have a lower delta peak than nicads.

Actually.. NOT. Voltage peak varies depending on how many cells there are in series.. so a 7.2v battery will peak lower (at between 9.6-9.9v) than a 9.6v battery (bet. 12.8-13.2v). As the cells charge up, the voltage goes up, and the charger's sensing circuit simply samples the voltage at regular intervals. When the latest voltage reading is lower than the previous, then it signals that the cells have started going into voltage depression (which is what happens once the cells start overcharging). The point where the voltage starts going down is called "voltage peak". All nickel-based rechargeable batteries behave similarly regardless of being NiCad or NiMH.

ok the charging equation is simple to understand.

but my problem here is with the charging current what formula is required to work out at what current do you charge your battery at. example a 8.4v 1100mah, 2.8v 1200mah, 8.4v 3700mah etc they would all require different charging currents.

i have read that it all depends on your charger current but the chargers i have seen have adjustable charging currents could someone help me with this.!

The charging formula works for ANY charging current. While there are optimal current settings for different capacity batteries (usually between 1 to 2 times the current output rating of the battery).. it does not mean that lower or higher current chraging will not work or be necessarily damaging. It simply goes that at low current, charing is slow and will take longer.. and at high current, charging will be fast and will take shorter. As the user, you may choose whichever rate would suit your requirement just as long as you don't exceed 3x the battery rating.

Archived