Im liking the dry lube for gearbox work

deepsprayj

...Do you think the open gear oil would suffice anyway?

It would be a good lube for the gears, but it's not a dry lube.

One of the advantages of a dry lube is it doesn't hold dust/dirt like grease/oil does.

Whats the word on dry lube for the piston?

...Possibly dry lube the cylinder...

You can do the rails on the piston, they're the only parts that bear on the g/box.

It should be enough to do the gearbox rails though.

It would be very difficult to get an even coating on the inside of a cylinder, and as it's a very smooth/polished surface, the dry lube may not adhere properly.

You'd have to 'hone' the inside surface with a fine abrasive first.

I've been toying with the idea for a while myself.

You can get a brush-on 321R as well, maybe applying it with a fine sponge would work.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are pleased to quote you as follows:

MOLYKOTE 321R- Aerosol  400ml. At £ 12.00/ea.

Dlv. Anywhere in the UK - £15.00 (next day service)

Payment by credit card accepted.

Ben Nemenyi , M.D.

Aerospheres UK Ltd.

E-Mail ben@aerospheres.com

Tel  + 44 208 424 7277

£15 delivery? Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, I repair the A-10 warthog for the MD air guard, and we use moly b coating on a lot of different stuff, but ours is brush on. Is the stuff you are talking about in aerosol form? Or is it a grease like I use.

Right now I use a pure silicon grease for bicycle gear shifters on my piston and cylinder, but I use systema gear grease on the gears. The systema stuff has the consistancy of runny snot, so I think it will stick around in the gearbox for quite a while. Is the moly b a better coating for the gears?

I work on the IAE V2500 and it is a spray on lubricant that we use that is put on by the manufacturer when the engines are being built. all the blades come with it pre coated. Biggest naus is if you need to get it off then you need some really strong solvent based stuff that eats plastic

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe you should ask for the 1kg paste. This one isn't inflammable.

I think it will be better for coating small parts.

The paste is just that, a paste. It's really just a very thick, dryish grease-like substance and doesn't form a coating as such. It's more for lubricating highly loaded surfaces that don't have much relative movement.

I work on the IAE V2500 and it is a spray on lubricant that we use that is put on by the manufacturer when the engines are being built. all the blades come with it pre coated. Biggest naus is if you need to get it off then you need some really strong solvent based stuff that eats plastic

Isopropylalchohol (IPA) removes it, I think that's safe with most plastics (it comes in a polythene (I think) bottle), but then you don't really need to coat anything plastic, it would be OK to coat the gearbox rails and leave the piston bare.

Also, once it's on, there's no need to remove it.

I work on the 2500s as well, also the CFM56 & RB211 G/H & E4.

• 2 months later...

I use Molyslip general purpose grease. It's just molybdenum disuphide in a bentone (clay, essentially) base, so it's perfectly safe for petroleum-sensitive bits. Anywho, it's super-slippery, dirt cheap, lasts forever, has the consistency of a fresh jar of Nutella, and sticks to gears like nobody's business.

I use Molyslip general purpose grease. It's just molybdenum disuphide in a bentone (clay, essentially) base, so it's perfectly safe for petroleum-sensitive bits. Anywho, it's super-slippery, dirt cheap, lasts forever, has the consistency of a fresh jar of Nutella, and sticks to gears like nobody's business.

Maybe so Max, but if you read through the whole thread you'll see why we're trying to get away from conventional greases... ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived