Crye replica chops... I think?

SteevoLS

Is the product in question not the current design of the chops and the chops from that video are just an old design or are they making both?

My brain is frozen today, took me a good minute of staring blankly at the screen to understand your question...lol

I think the product in the video is current, judging by Crye website and the fact that you can buy them.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-HLMAC108000/Airframe%E2%84%A2-Chops

The TMC one is something they've kind of made up based on what Crye's done from my understanding, it looks kind of like it, but when you pay a little more attention... they're quite far apart.

Ha, yes. I could have worded that slightly better. Looking at that popular airsoft article again it seems like the TMC one is based on the Crye one for non Airframe use so they can be attached to standard ACH helmets as the US Army doesn't want to dump their ACHs yet.

These are not the chops! They are the replicaof the Crye Precision Spartan face protector. They provide the same level of protection as the Air Frame and is designed to be flexible to achieve cheekweld. They are specifically designed to provide the troops with facial protection quickly and easily without modifying the ACH w/ NVG mount in any way.

Here's more information:

http://soldiersystems.net/2012/02/11/crye-precision-spartan/

And here's more pictures taken by SMGLee at this years Shot 2012:

P1100242.jpg

P1100241.jpg

P1100240.jpg

To address hitmanNo2's comment: The US Army and USMC are switching to a new ECH (Enhanced Combat Helmet) designed to stop a perpendicular shot from a 7.63x39. The shape of the helmet is the same as the ACH. But since it is using UD (unidirectional) materials such as Dyneema UD, Kevlar XP, or other polyethylene sheets, the material is not as flexible as the previous kevlar aramids therefore resulting in a smoother/less noticable buldge for the "ears". It is supposed to be fielded this fall (it took so long because the testing laboratories did not have any equipment that can properly test it for its v50 rating since nearly none of the fragmentations were even going through the helmet to gauge its v50 rating). In addition to these new helmets, the US Army sent out a request for maxillofacial protection with Mtek being one of the top competitors currently and CP at a close second. However, Mtek's products are already in protection with additional new models coming out soon while CP's are not yet in production.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived