E&L GBBR AR15

BioRage

Not sure how these would fit in if they had new system...

Here's how I've seen GBBRs

- WE being the entry-level gun thats skirmishable till it dies

- GHK being the smart man's gun with very little modding needed

- viper/Ino being the "mine is more expensive than yours" for the PTW-crowd

But you know what would sell like hotcakes...

A conversion-kit to turn a real M4 into a GBBR.

To be honest, we're not that far from it. A barrel+outer, hopup, bolt with a nozzle and mag.

200 for a kit, GHK mags and some old AR15 permit-free without its barrel and bolt.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you know what would sell like hotcakes...

A conversion-kit to turn a real M4 into a GBBR.

To be honest, we're not that far from it. A barrel+outer, hopup, bolt with a nozzle and mag.

200 for a kit, GHK mags and some old AR15 permit-free without its barrel and bolt.

That would be pretty hugely illegal in a lot of jurisdictions, especially since I'm presuming you'd be trying to convert it to select-fire. I agree that would sell well is a conversion kit that would need all-RS parts - e.g. you'd get a lower receiver and some of an LPK, a BCG, an outer and inner barrel and hop-up, and some springs. You'd receive that, and buy your FSB and gas tube, populated upper and delta ring assembly, any more of the LPK you needed, pistol grip assembly, charging handle, buffer tube assembly and stock from Brownells or whatever and just bolt it all together. The E&L has the potential to be that compatible with RS parts, though I don't think we'll ever see a kit sold.

I think the E&L will hopefully be priced around or slightly above the GHK; less than the Inokatsu/ViperTech, at any rate.

I've been waiting for this ever since it was first announced. If the quality is up there with the AK AEG they do - and it's priced competitively - then GHK's sales team is going to be ###### bricks. Of the WA derived designs, it's pretty much what i've been hoping for for a very long time. Still, I know i'll end up seeing a few of them in for work, Airsofters have an amazing ability to break things...

If you were looking for something to stick real externals to, honestly you could just buy a WE. I have several builds that have used RS uppers, furniture, sights, buffer tubes and the like.

Granted that theres some modification necessary to fit the upper, but nothing you can't do with a dremel. plus you could modify either the upper, or the WE parts for the same result. For example:

AjvWCsk.jpg

Those are all WE's with real uppers. The top one has a modified upper. The bottom ones have modified WE parts, because i couldn't bring myself to destroy a 1963 AR upper. then later i did the m16a2 the same way.

I can understand why it might be nice to just stick things on, but realistically you can already do that with an hour or two of work. Plus afterwards, the WE is still perfectly useable. no bcg fitment issues or anything.

Anyway, just food for thought i guess.

First of all, its been confirmed by E&L that it IS a WA type system, compatible with WA mags (GHK, Prowin, G&P etc.) so theres no more speculation on that front. Whether or not the magazine will be efficient is another story.

The WA is inherently a more realistic system, sorry the WE can take some nice parts with modification but high end WA guns can do the same with even less modification. And you don't have to finick around with the barrel indexing because WA barrels have a proper 12 o' clock indexing pin system. Modifying the upper destroys the value for resale and overall is a lot of work that can be avoided. I think its a step in the right direction for something that doesn't need to be incompatible in the first place.

Here's a Prime Magpul China Doll and a Viper Tech SR16 both with real Noveske MURs. Two systems can play that game :)

ij79yOsU4AeGI.JPG

ibzv2uqzYNTm4p.JPG

Locally here, there are a few people with 80% lowers, you need to self mill and do all the work yourself to get it to worked. It's legal AFAIK, 80% lowers ;)

Here's a RS build minus the lower.. It's old but still kicking around. He also has a few VT with VLTOR MUR3 uppers that are a straight drop in fit as he stated, no mods needed.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=122347

First of all, its been confirmed by E&L that it IS a WA type system, compatible with WA mags (GHK, Prowin, G&P etc.) so theres no more speculation on that front. Whether or not the magazine will be efficient is another story.

The WA is inherently a more realistic system, sorry the WE can take some nice parts with modification but high end WA guns can do the same with even less modification. And you don't have to finick around with the barrel indexing because WA barrels have a proper 12 o' clock indexing pin system. Modifying the upper destroys the value for resale and overall is a lot of work that can be avoided. I think its a step in the right direction for something that doesn't need to be incompatible in the first place.

Here's a Prime Magpul China Doll and a Viper Tech SR16 both with real Noveske MURs. Two systems can play that game :)

ij79yOsU4AeGI.JPG

ibzv2uqzYNTm4p.JPG

I think it mostly comes down to cost for me. The most expensive of mine cost me about $325. 250 for a new WE m16 on sale at the time, and about $75 for the A2 upper. Not sure the cost of furniture cause it was stuff I had lying around or was given to me by a Police armorer from stuff *he* just had lying around. I also stuck a real buffer tube on just for good measure.

My slab sides carbine cost me even less, as I bought it used as an Xm177 for about $150. The upper  was gotten for about $50. I simply filed off the fence and re-profiled the mag well to make it a slab sides. The aluminum buttstock and 2 position buffer tube may be cheating though as I also got those from the armorer since its not like he was gonna put those on anything. But i know those cost quite a bit if you have to buy them.

plus, again, as stated, the two lower guns in my pic have completely unmodified uppers. Barrel indexing was done by tapping a hole in the hopup unit and putting in a set screw, then filing off the indexing lugs that WE's normally have.

Also I feel like using a real lower is a waste. Its also probably illegal in most places. The lower receiver is the registered part, so it would require whatever licensing neccesary where the person lives. And if you wanted to have it look "right" for a full auto, you would need to drill a hole for the auto sear. In the US, that would land you in prison as it's a felony.

The bottom ones have modified WE parts, because i couldn't bring myself to destroy a 1963 AR upper. then later i did the m16a2 the same way.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but that might not be a '63 upper? Anything before 1964 would be extremely valuable as it would pre-date the Colt 603. Externally, it looks like its round forged, grey anodized, with a war era port door...it's hard to tell from the blurry photos, and I'm certainly no retro-expert, but it looks more like an early Sporter upper. If it is indeed a genuine pre-603 upper and was purchased for $50, that is an incredible deal. Regardless, early uppers alone in condition are still a nice collectors item and getting more difficult to find.

I assumed it was a military upper since civilian models at the time had the large front pin hole that colt was strangely fond of back then. This one has the smaller front pin hole, but there are no marks to really say one way or the other. When I said 1963 I probably should have just said 'early', since I really have no way of knowing aside from that small front pin hole.

I meant more modification of the lower receiver parts, as that is what most people do to fit a real upper onto the rifle. Of course you can modify the real upper but most people prefer not to do so.

There is no 1:1 scale lower receiver (VFC, Iron Airsoft, Prime, Vipertech) that will interface with a real upper without some degree of modification. Primes have a protrusion that needs to be milled off, otherwise you need to machine a WA style catch to slim it down like the E&L and take some material off the firing block. The vipertech has a slim bolt catch but their unique gas pin firing block requires even more modification to work with a real upper. Even with the Vipertech, you will eventually need to modify the real upper to retail bolt catch functionality.

WA spec barrel extensions fit real uppers normally so there is no need to buy an aftermarket part to use an WA outer barrel in a real upper at all. What E&L has done has made the entire extension and barrel one piece which resembles a real barrel closer.

Inokatsu 2009 and 2010 requires modification to the GFPA and bolt catch only. And it's a perfect fit. Even the famous "Colt Wobble" between the receivers is present. As you know viper requires modification to the rear pin hole as well..

• 4 months later...

And I'm fatefully sticking with my WOCs, but it does look good, wonder what the price is.

I'm super impressed with my ghk, before I got it I was kicking around a we with everything, many mags and a spare upper(with everything).

Stock I'm about what my we m4 was(which was a tbb, npas, ml75* bucking), not as much range but its damn close.

Yea I'm soooo close to getting a ghk, but Iv have a few wocs all with full steel parts and Pmags and love them to bits, the g&p Pmags are a life saver to the wa system IMO. But as soon as soccom gear release the gen 3 novosek bits and bobs for the ghk I'm in.

Archived