Magpul PTS - Angled Fore Grip

orca

Spartan Imports announced a Magpul PTS version of the Magpul Angled Fore Grip (AFG). Hope it's cheaper then the real steel AFGs I just purchased.

mpts042press.jpg

Notice the rifle it's mounted on in the pic. ;) You'll be seeing more pics of the Magpul PTS, ACR soon!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact i can feel myself becoming a magpul fan because of things like this makes me want to stab myself. Within a month, i'll be typing 'Christ Costa' and 'AOTTC' into youtube. I'll be spending hours sitting there in my room, changing the backstrap on my full MIAD kit, trying to figure out which one leaves the faintest red mark on my thumb. Somebody, help me.

I reckon it'll be about £35 over here. Hopefully.

Just a quicky from me.

I can see the point of PTS versions of the stocks due to different specs.

The metal bodies are a no-brainer.

Even things like the BAD lever (especially the WA one) make sense.

But really, what the smeg is the point of the PTS version of this.

It is the same bit of plastic RS or PTS.

If it was me I'd sell exactly the same product in different packaging for exactly the same price...

Just a quicky from me.

I can see the point of PTS versions of the stocks due to different specs.

The metal bodies are a no-brainer.

Even things like the BAD lever (especially the WA one) make sense.

But really, what the smeg is the point of the PTS version of this.

It is the same bit of plastic RS or PTS.

If it was me I'd sell exactly the same product in different packaging for exactly the same price...

Have you missed the hundreds of discussions on this over the years? It's due to US ITAR restrictions. The materials Magpul Industries use also fall into that category. So they can't just repackage the product and resell it under the PTS label. Whether or not the AFG itself as a concept falls under ITAR is unclear, but most US retailers won't sell to consumers outside the country just in case.

Also it isn't quite the same bit of plastic. Magpul PTS has their own Dupont formula for their plastics that is not ITAR restricted. That said, the quality/grade of the polymer/plastic PTS uses is widely considered in the plastics industry as one of the best. So it's still a quality piece of product, and it's something that can be sold outside the USA.

And until we see an MSRP, it's absolutely pointless to start arguing about the price of this based solely on conjecture.

Whoo, my RS one just came in the mail today :D, but this will be great for those in other countries :P

It's also pretty convenient for Airsofters in the US when the RS product sells out (which is often the case with RS Magpul products). And don't forget about the immediacy factor: Most real gun stores I go to don't carry much in the way of Magpul Industries products, however every airsoft store I've ever been to have a lot of Magpul PTS products. The ability to walk into a store and get exactly what you need rather than wait for an item to ship to you is very appealing to some consumers.

uscmCorps, is there any point in suggesting to Magpul PTS to put the PTS markings that distinguish the PTS parts from the RS equivalents somewhere less prevalent i.e. on the back of the part of inside or whatever is most appropriate for the part? I go out of my way to get the RS part because every time I see the PTS marking on something it just makes the replica even more toy like. I would buy loads of PTS parts if this was the case. For example the BAD lever, that could have the PTS markings on the back where it couldn't be seen when installed.

I understand the need to distinguish the PTS parts from the RS parts so RS shooters aren't conned into buying parts intended for airsoft but I think this minor change would improve the products. Or maybe its just me.

It's also pretty convenient for Airsofters in the US when the RS product sells out (which is often the case with RS Magpul products). And don't forget about the immediacy factor: Most real gun stores I go to don't carry much in the way of Magpul Industries products, however every airsoft store I've ever been to have a lot of Magpul PTS products. The ability to walk into a store and get exactly what you need rather than wait for an item to ship to you is very appealing to some consumers.

True that - the site I got my AFG at sold half its preorders within the 1st day of announcing them.

hitmanno2, details will probably come out in the near future - there will most likely be a "PTS" marking somewhere on the item.

Is that a integrated flip-up front sight I see on the ACR? That's dissapointing... wasn't that scratched from the real design pretty early on?

Also IMO the ACR really doesn't look that amazing in the picture. I am going to hope (and assume) that it is the picture that makes in look that wya.

-OGGY

Have you missed the hundreds of discussions on this over the years? It's due to US ITAR restrictions. The materials Magpul Industries use also fall into that category. So they can't just repackage the product and resell it under the PTS label. Whether or not the AFG itself as a concept falls under ITAR is unclear, but most US retailers won't sell to consumers outside the country just in case.

Also it isn't quite the same bit of plastic. Magpul PTS has their own Dupont formula for their plastics that is not ITAR restricted. That said, the quality/grade of the polymer/plastic PTS uses is widely considered in the plastics industry as one of the best. So it's still a quality piece of product, and it's something that can be sold outside the USA.

And until we see an MSRP, it's absolutely pointless to start arguing about the price of this based solely on conjecture.

I missed it, I haven't really been all that interested in most real steel things or any Magpul products and I mostly avoid the arguments.

Thanks for the clarification so even the plastic in the original is restricted?

That just seems totally bonkers, it's not like it's made of mermaid pubes soaked in unicorn ###### is it?

The most annoying thing about this is that it doesn't make any difference to availability, just price.

There is a US retailer that stocks all these things, it won't post to the UK, it has a UK subsidiary that will. The UK subsidiary costs three times as much, before postage, and when I have ordered from them in the past the items have been shipped from the States.

Bah!

uscmCorps, is there any point in suggesting to Magpul PTS to put the PTS markings that distinguish the PTS parts from the RS equivalents somewhere less prevalent i.e. on the back of the part of inside or whatever is most appropriate for the part? I go out of my way to get the RS part because every time I see the PTS marking on something it just makes the replica even more toy like. I would buy loads of PTS parts if this was the case. For example the BAD lever, that could have the PTS markings on the back where it couldn't be seen when installed.

I understand the need to distinguish the PTS parts from the RS parts so RS shooters aren't conned into buying parts intended for airsoft but I think this minor change would improve the products. Or maybe its just me.

I think in part it's due to "company branding" and in part to avoid confusion with the real deal products. I agree that it'd be nice to have the logo placed in a less obvious location, but on the PTS items I've seen, I've never felt that it looked horrible or that it detracted from the aesthetic significantly enough to warrant : "gah! it's hideous!"

The most annoying thing about this is that it doesn't make any difference to availability, just price.

There is a US retailer that stocks all these things, it won't post to the UK, it has a UK subsidiary that will. The UK subsidiary costs three times as much, before postage, and when I have ordered from them in the past the items have been shipped from the States.

I don't know why you're fixated on the price point yet considering the MSRP hasn't been announced yet. On some items the price is the same as the real deal, and on some they're cheaper than the RS. The only items I've seen that are more expensive in the PTS version were the mags, and I don't feel that's a fair comparison as they're far from identical in terms of function and features. CTR's, MOE Stocks, handguards, grips, etc are all similar in price. The UBR, ASAP, MS2 Sling, ACS, etc are all cheaper (in the case of the UBR, very significantly so). Logically, the PTS version of the AFG will more than likely be similar or cheaper than the RS version. This is all conjecture until we actually know the price, but getting the PTS AFG should certainly NOT cost you guys in the UK three times the price of the RS version. If the RS product is costing you three times the actual cost in the US, I'd blame the UK distributor for jacking up the prices.

Please explain that.

There is no mention of restrictions on plastics on the USML.

This is what I've heard from both Magpul and Magpul PTS. Like most things regarding ITAR, there is so much gray area involved that most companies decide to side on the overly cautious end of the spectrum in hopes to avoid scrutiny from the governmental depts. Magpul Industries has chosen to take that stand on their polymer materials. Beyond that, there are also concerns over intellectual property theft regarding their polymer as the plastics they've developed is internally considered an industrial secret, and they're worried that other manufacturers (not only airsoft but also other RS manufacturers both foreign and domestic) may steal that information. There's a lot not covered in ITAR making it so vague and so open to interpretation, that most retailers and manufacturers try to stay well in the white. I'm not saying it makes sense, only that many have decided it's not worth the risk.

I'm waiting for the RS AFG to come out in FDE. <Sarcasm /on> Yes, I buy RS when I can, it makes me think I'm better than others. And yes, FDE accessories DO increase my accuracy. <Sarcasm /off>

This is what I've heard from both Magpul and Magpul PTS. Like most things regarding ITAR, there is so much gray area involved that most companies decide to side on the overly cautious end of the spectrum in hopes to avoid scrutiny from the governmental depts. Magpul Industries has chosen to take that stand on their polymer materials. Beyond that, there are also concerns over intellectual property theft regarding their polymer as the plastics they've developed is internally considered an industrial secret, and they're worried that other manufacturers (not only airsoft but also other RS manufacturers both foreign and domestic) may steal that information. There's a lot not covered in ITAR making it so vague and so open to interpretation, that most retailers and manufacturers try to stay well in the white. I'm not saying it makes sense, only that many have decided it's not worth the risk.

I cannot find anything on Magpul's website saying that they are ITAR registered, or elsewhere for that matter. This may in fact be the issue rather than the plastic, unless of course they are registered and I am simply blind.

A quick look on Magpul's site and a random product reveals this:

"Due to ITAR restrictions this item, or some of its components, cannot be exported from the United States of America without a valid U.S. State Department export permit. Additionally, there may be local laws for which the customer is responsible. "

You can always call or email Magpul to ask about details.

Archived