Called out but not hit

simonmc

Personally I believe you should not call someone else's hits, ever. There are WAY too many factors involved to truly be 100% sure you hit another. Even if you are able to confirm a hit with all such factors I still believe calling another's hits is still unwarranted. You should either point this out to them in a friendly fashion between scenarios, inform a marshall of your observation, or simply do not play with them (which should only be in extreme cases and if the other two methods fail).

My simple philosophy, If you shoot someone and they dont call it, shoot them again until they call hit, and if that requires heavy bursts into a location then by all means, shoot away. In almost everyone's case, we are playing this to have fun and are not intending to be malicious. If I hit you many many times with my M249 and you call "hit" until you are blue in the face and I keep shooting, yell it louder, I obviously don't hear you.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets not forget people do talk ###### sometimes... we had a bunch of guys screaming that we were getting shot in a window and waving and shooting back still at them... they called a mashal... and ranted.... the marshal that happened to be stood next to me near the window happened to dissagree with them somewhat... :)

Sometimes it's funny to shoot a single shot with a suppressed weapon, only to see the target flinch from the hit, looking around a bit, and continuing the game since he didn't see anyone.

Personally I'm against all "bang" and "surrender" -rules. If you can't shoot another player because of the MOD, you don't. Simple as that. If you don't have a weapon for close encounters, don't put yourself into the position where you're holding the weapon against someone's chest.

If you sneaked behind someone, you should have enough time to shoot them in a spot where it doesn't hurt that much - if you're a gent. I rarely hesitate shooting someone in the bum when they are crouching and the BDUs are tight. It cracks me up to see people jump around in a circle swearing and holding their buttocks. -Naturally I don't have a problem when someone returns the favor another time.

-Sale

I agree that calling people out is bad etiquette. the amount of times myself or one of my team mates have been 'called out' and not actually hit is silly.

in my opinion calling people out only leads to an argument in most cases anyway, it happens far too often at game i attend.

i will point out to team mates that theyre hit if they carry on though

I fully understand what all of you guys are feeling. By frequently using a g-spec at my local site, I have had numerous situations where people will merely flinch from the shot, check that no one saw, and continue on with their merry way. Just like what Sale said. And since the g-spec is already such a quiet weapon, sniping in airsoft really gets alot more difficult when your ammo does leave a mark (a bullet hole or paint for example).

Many of you suggest to lace the person, or to repeatedly shoot at their position, however with a bolt-action I have found that using a higher fps usually does the trick =) (within a reasonable engagement distance that is). Sometimes i wish i can just mount a camera on my rifle or helmet, and just bloody walk over and show them the clip where their jumping around, clutching their buttocks because of a bb that struck them at 500 fps =P.

Just my opinion, but I'd much rather someone called my hit than drilled me to death and beyond. I've gotten up and walked when I havn't felt the hit on my gear, when someone said I know I hit you. So that's what I follow for myself. If I DO have to call someone else's hit when I've eyeballed my BB's ALL the way in and can clearly see them bounce off him or his gear, hell yes, I'll call him on it. If he still won't get up, hit him again Sam, by all means. I'll still go see the marshal or OC too, the player needs to be addressed by him for both saftey and honor reasons. Bad form to call someone else out? Hardly.

The game should be played with honor, something paintballers have less of a chance to do. A paintballer is marked, an airsofter is not. A PB'er will still try to wipe a hit if you aren't paying attention to your target to the fullest. Stuff's gotta stop, the shooter is the first witness to his OPFOR's hits if the OPFOR player is NOT being honorable. I have yet to feel personally embarrassed by ANY of these situations I've been involved in. If you aren't sure you hit him, then don't yell "You're hit!"

Truth is we either load ourselves down with tactical gear and dont feel a hit, and there's a bunch of lying cheats out there. There are both. Since this happens to me at least once every skirmish from the shooter's side, sometimes more, I have absolutely NO problem letting someone know I hit them. Half of them are at least somewhat honorable, admit to the hit and walk, some guys I can shoot all day through multiple games and they still lie.

The latter are the guys who need to go. If you can't admit that another man bested you at a game, stay the hell home. As I think most of the posters here ARE some of the honest ones, we wouldn't have this post if some people could all play fairly and be a man when they're hit.

If the guy wont take his hits don't take any future hits from him. Have done this a few times and it drives them NUTS. They sonn learn to behave.

Once playing an " every man for himself " scenario. Me and another player stood in the open arguing that we had shot each other when in reality we'd just hit each others arms and legs ( torso and head hit only rules ). Another player promptly shot us both. Bummer. Ha Ha !!!!

I think that arguing and getting angry about people not calling their hits is just stupid. If I ever get hit, then I will call out. If i get anywhere on my person that I haven't felt, or heard, then its understandable to not call out. So in that situation I would just say to shoot that person again.

Not everyone is honest, fact. So why waste you time arguing to someone that is obviously going to deny being hit? I say just have a word with a marshal, then hit them again if they still don't call their hits. ^_^

if someone tells me i'm hit i get out, problems arise when people use the 'lace the area trick' because it tends to offend my delicate countenance. i think i made an unnecessary idiot of myself at phoenix because i held a position after being hit. i didn't feel it, but the guy that shot me (webbing was hit, didn't feel a thing and i'm too deaf to hear it) neglected to inform me. i was getting annoyed that he wasn't taking HIS hits (he figured since i was out my shots didn't matter. right enough i suppose) shortly after i got laced by someone with a souped up m4 and paint ball pants. i took the hit and walked off, passing the guy who'd initially hit me. i politely said 'you're out too mate' and he had a proper go at me.

made me feel i was in the wrong, but i now realize we both were, possibly him more so for being so unnecessarily aggressive.

in summation: you can't, ever, please people. especially when they're full of adrenaline and making their own share of mistakes.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who you are or what the circumstances are. If a Marshal tells you that you are hit, you take the hit. There has been several situations I can think of where this has occurred to me, and I have not once argued with the Marshal's call. Ultimately the Marshal's role in game is as the impartial adjudicator and they should be treated as such, even if you feel they are biased towards a certain team / player.

Never let yourself get dragged into an argument with another player over who's hit and who's not. It's really not worth the animosity, even if the individual in question is clearly just a very insecure individual who feels that they can't possibly have missed / been hit by you. Unfortunately there's all too many of this sort of player in airsoft, and although their behaviour can put a damper on a good day, it will absolutely wreck it if you attempt to spend an age arguing the toss.

Airsoft is a game of honour. Unfortunately many participants for various (personal) reasons treat it as a game of ego gratification. You'll never achieve anything by getting into an argument with such individuals other than winding yourself up and quite possibly looking like just as big an idiot as the pitiful excuse for an airsofter you're in disagreement with.

Does anyone else find it funny that, in the first post, the guy complains he has to shout at some people for not taking their hits, then immediately complains when they do exactly what he just did?

:zorro:

You are absolutely right Sledge. It was pretty stupid really.

After reading all the input of others I will try my very hardest in future to keep my mouth shut and just walk when called. Even when I KNOW I have not been hit. I will also not call another out even if I KNOW I have hit them. Lets face it, It would have made my day a lot more pleasant if I had of done that.

Nice discussion on the subject though and I am sure some will do the opposite and some will keep thier mouth shut. That's life.

We don't have marshals on our indoor games either so that is not an option of speaking to one.

Simon

We were playing a fast pace cqb game sunday and I geinuanly did not feel the hits the guy did say I was not taking hits to a marshall but he did not see, at the end of the day its just a game, I popped over and said i'm sorry I did not feel them and took the hits and took hits even if I was unsure if I was.

In the heat of battle it is very easy not to feel hits, I was wearing a chest rig and was crouched down behind a concrete block the hits were into the chest.

I would prefer to take a hit even if I was not hit because people get angry and it causes a bad atmosphere at the game, I just want to have fun.

We've all had hits we've not noticed.

Personally, if someone says to me 'i hit you', and i believe they were within effective weapons range - I'll walk, no questions.

If someones not taking their hits, i tend to aim for the 'softer' parts of their bodies, inner thighs, inner arm, man bits, knuckles. Anything thats gonna make them yelp.

This happens alot. Which is the one advantage of paint ball over airsoft, there is no hiding a massive paint mark on your forehead or chest.

But either way a similar thing happen to me on sunday. I'm only 3 months or so into the sport but i learnt pretty quickly the arrogant players seem to be off the matrix and avoid BB's like they weren't even there. It just requires communication between you and your friends.

Don't trouble the marshall's, just clear the rest of them out, or set up in secure firing positions, and then have 3 or 4 players from you team hose him until he is jumping and screaming. Either that or just teach him a lesson and throw a BB grenade near his feet. If he runs he'll be an easy target, and if he doesn't he wont me running for a minute or two.

On sunday 3 of my teams players were taken out while others were being supressed by 4 people in a bunker who were not taking there hits. Luckily myself and 3 were flanking in that area, and i came across the bunker, and with my new tactical sight on my P90 i just lowered myself to my right knee and hosed all of them till i heard screams of pain and then threats. It was beautiful.

Smithy

ah but i am god - out the pair of you!

I don't believe in god, so basically i've beaten u already. :D

I would just like to add something. I read through some of your posts, about not being sure if someone is hit, and some of you don't agree with "lacing".

I would try and be sure of hitting people several times before lacing them, and if you see them check around for who ever hit them then carry on there is a clear sign they are not playing fair. Personally tho, i feel "lacing" someone down is part and parcel of the game. I would agree it's not really fair to do it to someone for the sack of it, but i don't have a problem with "lacing" people who do not take their hits. (plus my gun is firing at 280fps so it's not that bad)

And if i get "laced" i just think serves me right for not being in a better position (once i get over the jumping around rubbing the areas which were hit, besides i generally laugh it off with the shooter and try and get them back later).

However if you have one of these massive support weapons, firing at 400fps, don't lace someone. 5 bbs will do.

Smithy

Some times just sometimes the distances and other noise stops you from calling your hits... ususally you just wave vigourously... one big problem I've come across is ricochets or floating shots, I and some of my fellow regualr players count both these as legit hits unless its coming from outside the designated play areas...

I had fun at one site quite recently where there was a sniper with an over powered rifle (over the site limits 550+ FPS when Chrono'd) shooting from a movement only Zone (within 5m of a Public Right of way) we were all Ignoring the hits from this guy and he went absolute Ape, and this jerk off tried to call our hits for us... sad in the extreme

The hits calling is dependent upon your site and opponents, I've also hit a Kid (14-17) in the mask (accidental headshot - the bugger crouched at the wrong time), leave a mark on the lens and the kid did not call his hit... a second round to the nether regions did the trick... worst thing was he did this to everyone.. even the guy with the M249.

The last time I went paint balling was a few months after starting to play airsoft, I had been so used to calling myself out on just feeling the slightest hit that I called myself out of the first 5 games without a single paint burst.

I do have a slightly soft stomach so any paintball hits on that will normally just bounce, I ended up getting into the dead zones and the marshalls asking where I was hit.

Having said that I am sure, as we all are that there have been times when running for cover etc that a long range shot might have hit us but in all the adrenaline we just did not feel it.

I will never call another player out simply for this reason, If I am close enough to be 100% certain that I have hit and they have not returned fire on me I am normally able to sneak up and 'BANG' them.

On a personal basis I try not to call people out. Occasionally there are times when I've SEEN the hits bounce off of them in which I'll ask them "Hey are you hit?" Depending on the tone of their response or their lack of one I will respond with the appropriate measure. I avoid accusations as much as possible simply because it starts fights that ruin gameplay. Infact Yesterday someone called a Hit on me that I know didnt hit me. He was furious because they spent 30 minutes looking for me and my spotter (we were doing the sniper thing and well, being sneaky). Finally when they found us he began lighting up my position to which I just ducked in and got closer to the ravine wall (where I was hiding, bad place for a sniper but meh) He was so furious that between a burst he yelled out "CALL YOUR F***ING HITS" to which I replyed what hits. Finally when he did hit me he was well within the Minimum engagement distance aiming at my face. I came outa the game with a bloody welt on my face and filled with lots of anger. I call my hits, even the ricochets but I know he didnt hit me. He argued with me saying he saw the shots bounce off my back to which I know he didnt have an angle on in the first place. So rather then being polite he tempered off and accused me of not calling my hits. I dont cheat, I consider myself pretty honest and I felt pretty ###### off, enough so I was about to stick my friends gun up his *albartroth* and tell him to bugger off. Later that day he did appologize but it still doesnt make him any more right to act the way he did. Maybe next time I should be a better sniper and stand out in the open in the obvious place and let him shoot me....

I don't believe in god, so basically i've beaten u already. :D

Smithy

oh rly? :P

then my son - thou shalt not be allow'ed to play in airsoft heaven.

thou shalt instead be confined to an eternity of deadzone hell.

lol.

it would be nice if everyone played in a gentlemanly manner - but sadly this will never happen!

i think lacing would be acceptable as a very last resort - assuming that you have clearly hit your target, and a marshall is unwilling to do anything about it!

regards amsniper

• 2 months later...

Archived