Star M60 Initial Impressions

Hillslam

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my M60 worked very nicely yesterday. No jams or anything like that. It missfeed every 6th BB or something like that but it's not a problem. I agree that wirings and/or motor sucks. IM going to change these too. I also carried it with carry handle and I think its not that weak.

Hmm.. The hop-up chamber in Hillslam's pics looks very similar like the one on my Inokatsu Mk43. Except that Ino's one is purple.. :P

Also, the front end/bipod assembly looks familiar too. Maybe STAR had the Ino's gun on the table when they designed this baby. Or then again the front end must just be like that on a real Mk43..

Well, my M60 worked very nicely yesterday. No jams or anything like that. It missfeed every 6th BB or something like that but it's not a problem. I agree that wirings and/or motor sucks. IM going to change these too. I also carried it with carry handle and I think its not that weak.

Ah. About 1 out of 6 bbs is what is misfiring for me now as well. I call that bad, but yeah its all relative I guess.

I don't think the carry handle is weak, in fact I think its attached to the outerbarrel really nicely. I dont know how the outerbarrel is affixed to the receiver yet, suppose I should look. On the CA M249 its only held on by spring friction. So I assumed the same here. Even so, since its attached to the outerbarrel and not the receiver body, I'd still avoid lifting by the handle if only to not put stress on the hopup chamber/nozzle intersection.

Skirmishing with it this weekend. woo hoo. I'll try to film.

Hello, I received mine yesterday ( the custom costs were very painful :( ). First I tried the m60e4 with a 9.6v 3000mah battery, there was a lot of misfiring ( more than 1 out of 4 bbs ), after a little cleaning of the mag I have less than 1 out of 10.

I put a 8.4v 3800mah battery but the rof is not very different from the 9.6v 3000mah so I have some misfiring but it wont be a big problem, if you want to avoid misfiring, you should try a 8.4v 3000mah battery max.

My hop up seems also a little bit off center but less than yours Hillslam and it doesn't affect the "precision" of the m60.

The gun never jammed ( with 0.20g exell bbs ).

Get the MAG m249 2500 magazine and stuck on your m60s like i have....this magazine do not missfeed!

m60webb2.jpg

PS...my m60 is not a star;)

we have 2 star m249 in our team...and all off them missfeeds. star can not build a good boxmag. one of my MAG m249 boxmag broke(the spring jump off place) and the magazine did performed extatly as the star boxmag.

you can not have a boxmag without a spring to help it!

My friend got his STAR MK43 today. Pretty neat, he did some short burts. After around 200 rounds or so the gun starts to emit a funny smell. Turns out it was coming from the boxmag. At first we thought maybe the motor was burning out.

We pried open the hatch with some difficulty because it turned out that one of the pegs was melted to one of the battery contacts! The other battery contacts seemed like they were too hot because it looked like they were beginning to melt through their side of the housing too. He'll be emailing STAR about this. But we're wondering if it could be the AA batteries he was using? He was using panasonic batteries...

P1010093.jpg

P1010092.jpg

It looks nice next to my CA M249 though

P1010097rev.jpg

INTERESTING!

I never thought of the boxmag motor/circuit overheating. But now I think about it it makes sense; I've had several start ups of the motor where it seemed to need to build up speed or such. Classic electricity flow problem behavior.

So far none of myh battery contacts are indicating an overheat situation. I should be wary of adding another cell then I suppose.

There does seem to be room in there for a beefier motor. I may look into this.

I won't be modding a MAG 2400rd pouch mag. I have been utterly unimpressed by the performance of mine on the 249 so far, even given my initial review that was positive. I don't want to wire the boxmag to the gun and I don't want to use a pressure switch.

Hopefully some aftermarket boxmags start to show up with autowind via the pressure design but WITH a spring backup.

Hey guys, does anyone of you know whether the STAR MK-43 is the same length as the STAR M60E4? cause they look kinda the same in length to me but the star website says a difference of 1.2 centimeter, that's a little weird. does the STAR M60E4 have the same length as the real steel M60E4? :P

Sorry for my silly questions, I'm a little a dimension/trademark freak.

So how are the M60s shooting? My friends STAR M249 shot pretty well when it didn't misfeed. Too bad one of the piston rails chipped after about 15,000-20,000 rds... I am thankful he got rid of it though I never want to open that thing up again, it was a complete mechanical hell hole inside :fear:

Not to mention it went back together perfectly... ;)

Fantastic review / rundown hillslam. Kudos.

Can I ask, have you played with / disected the VFC mk43 before?

Apologies if I missed this in your earlier posts :)

I had been waiting anxiously for this to be released ( it was announced literally days after I sold my vfc mk43 ).

I wanted to see how it compared to the vfc model. And it had lived up to my expections, which were really not very high.

I do enjoy a budget gun or two, im using an agm mp40 now, and I love it.

If Star had any intention of this being a contender, they should have designed it a bit better. Perhaps copied vfc a bit more?

Good luck to the people who own it, I really hope it works out well and does some *albatross* kicking.

But for me, nothing beats a vfc mk43 :)

The cost is prob triple, but the value is priceless.

Apologies for a very byest opinion :)

IMAG3086Medium.JPG

Hillsam,

Would you say this gun is basically skirmish ready when you get it? Besides just lubing up the box mag?  Thanks.

Edit- Also, does the Mod 0 come with a vert grip, and does the E4 one come off?  Thanks.

This is all in my previous posts but I'm going to a game tomorrow and I have done the following: lubed the boxmag.

So we'll see.

Fantastic review / rundown hillslam. Kudos.

Can I ask, have you played with / disected the VFC mk43 before?

If Star had any intention of this being a contender, they should have designed it a bit better. Perhaps copied vfc a bit more?

Good luck to the people who own it, I really hope it works out well and does some *albatross* kicking.

I've not played with a VFC but I've heard nothing but good things about them. Were this not my 2nd Support Gun, and were my primary the M249MkII not such an absolute mauling beast, I'd have seriously looked at a VFC. As you mentioned the Star is a budget gun. Expect to get what you pay for and a buyer should be happy. Having said that I *do* like the design. I think the design is good: the right mechbox (PCG style), the right boxmag (hardsided, self powered, and autowinding on firing), cavernous battery compartment located in the *back*, metal in the right places, *excellent* boxmag attachment design (the best I've seen), etc.

Execution though, beh: no spring backup in the boxmag, hopup set by a loose allen wrench, boxmag that can't keep up with ROF on the 9.6v battery specified in the manual, and chintzy battery wiring are the dings I have to give it at this point. none of those are fatal or even much of a big deal for me to fix/improve. And as others seem to be having better luck with theirs I may have a manufacturing dud. Who knows. I can only review what I've got. I'll know more by sunday.

Archived