Ex-IDF Making Galil Airsoft Rifles and the Tavor

thornado

A quick question to all you Brits out there:

As I am not familiar with the details of the VCRA bill, can anyone please PM me with a bit more info?

I will try to figure out a solution for you guys, as I am well aware the price tag will put the guns out of reach for many good folks if a dealer/re-seller has to get involved.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I've been reading through this thread, http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=120667, and I think the relevant part to the question above is this:

Personal imports

This is an area that any scheme will struggle to address due to the complex nature of the relationships involved.

UKARA will carefully consider any approach from any courier company that wishes to offer a "clearing" service to its customer to facilitate personal importation of RIFs. This will be offered on a commercial basis. We may make available the ability to check players’ details via the database to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC). It is unlikely however that HMRC will check individual imports and no purchaser should count on this. HMRC are extremely busy and have higher priorities. You should therefore be aware that any airsoft gun imported after 1st October might be subject to seizure & destruction.

The Tavor will have both regular length barrel and the shorter "commander" barrel. 

The 3rd variant will be the sniper version, with the integrated bipod. 

The last bit of good news - we are working on a replica of the MARS sight so your kit will be complete.

Excellent! put me down for one of the Sniper length Tavors. With the MARS sight it'll be awesome, but I recon I'll swap that for an ACOG. You guys are the greatest!

UKARA will carefully consider any approach from any courier company that wishes to offer a "clearing" service to its customer to facilitate personal importation of RIFs.  This will be offered on a commercial basis.  We may make available the ability to check players’ details via the database to Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC).  It is unlikely however that HMRC will check individual imports and no purchaser should count on this.  HMRC are extremely busy and have higher priorities.  You should therefore be aware that any airsoft gun imported after 1st October might be subject to seizure & destruction.

That sucks hairy donkey balls!!!

Are kits going to be subjected to the same regulations?

Probably.

Plus, you may have issues with real steel parts - as depending on how the police feel that morning it may be seen as "reactivating a de-activated firearm".

It's a pity, your AEGs sound really awesome, but I really cannot afford one atm...

:(

It's so saddening to see such a magnificent independent achievement as the Galil - and also such an excellent weapon! - get replaced by something half as good just becuase it was a tenth of the price.  :(

When I picked up my S&W M&P15T, I could have very easily have gone for a civilian-legal version of the Galil. It would have cost my much less than my M&P. And I rather like the Galil because it's essentially a Kalashnikov with all the ###### poor design problems sorted (akin to an SG55X).

At the end of the day I went for the M&P. Why? Well, for one thing it's lighter. Much lighter. It's one thing to have a light weight weapon and have to hump it over hill-and-dale, it's another thing to hump a heavier weapon suffering from the same primary drawback (caliber) over hill and dale. Secondly, magazines for the Galil are not easy to source. AR-15 magazines, on the other hand, can be found virtually anywhere. Thirdly, when Winter comes to Montana, I don't want my cheek against the cold steel of the Galil's folding stock: I don't want it frozen to my weapon. The stock of the M&P is polymer, so cheeks freezing to rifles is not a problem. While we're on the topic of stocks, let me also point out that the LOP on the Galil is hardly comfortable for my Aryan (;)) frame. The M&P with the LE stock was barely more comfortable and now, with the VLTOR EMOD stock on it, it is really, really comfortable. Fourthly, accessories. The Galil has no rails on it. Not a one. This would make mounting my EoTech a pain at best (having to source a rail and then finding a gunsmith to mount it)... not to mention moutning a bipod (the Galil I was looking at had polymer furniture and no bipod).

The bottom line is this: The Galil is hardly twice as good as the AR-15. It might be 1.15 times better, but that still isn't much, especially given the price. Oh, and has the weight of the Galil been mentioned before? I'm sure it has. The AR-15 is light weight, the Galil is a brick house. I'd sooner hump the AR-15 all day than the Galil. And the additional weight of a Galil could certainly be provided in an AR-15-type load-out by simply carrying more ammo.

That being said, I plan on trading the M&P in for a Masada as soon as their quality is guaranteed (barring an Act of Congress).

This looks very promising! I'm definitely interested in the SAR. It'll be interesting to see how they've built the double fire selector. Inokatsu's is just molded on to the pistol grip and is frankly quite disappointing for a gun that costs 1200USD+.

Now the guys at TSI just need to make an UZI :)

Build from scratch kits will be classed as manufacturing, so yes they'll be subject to the same regs. Upgrade kits however won't be. So if you were to sell them as parts, minus a gearbox, then we'd be ok as technically we'd just be upgrading an AK.

That's ok, you can probably wait a few months and buy it used from Yeager  ;)

No, no you won't. :P

If Yeager gets a Galil for 900 dollars, it's not going to be a toy.

Click me.

LOL :lol: ... too funny... I've really got to stop sending him all my money.   :mellow:

Yes, send Yeager all your *fruitcage* money! NOW!

when Winter comes to Montana, I don't want my cheek against the cold steel of the Galil's folding stock

The winter cold down here (lowest around 20s) is enough to make my face hurt, and you can stand the Montana winter cold without some sort of facemask?!

As far as I know, kits and parts WILL NOT be subject to these restrictions. It is only the manufacture and sale of new weapons to NON-SKIRMISHERS that are effected. As a registered skirmisher you will still be able (under the terms of the defence) to buy parts, kits and even whole guns.

Jagdraben - let's not derail the thread, but what a civilian wants in Montana is very different from what the Isreali Army needs in the desert - anyways, just wrap some tape around the stock and your face won't freeze to it. Having humped a few weapons around in the boonies in my time, I'd much rather have one that weighed a bit more and worked than one that was light and didn't. Anyways, there must be something right about the Galil, becuase several other countries have also adopted it - and fitted accessory rails to them as well.

Jagdraben - let's not derail the thread, but what a civilian wants in Montana is very different from what the Isreali Army needs in the desert - anyways, just wrap some tape around the stock and your face won't freeze to it.  Having humped a few weapons around in the boonies in my time, I'd much rather have one that weighed a bit more and worked than one that was light and didn't.  Anyways, there must be something right about the Galil, becuase several other countries have also adopted it - and fitted accessory rails to them as well.

You're ignoring the fact that the AR-15 does, in fact work. It might not be as reliable as the Galil, but it's still a reliable weapon.

I would love to see a Galil with rails on it. I would love to know where I can buy all the bits and pieces needed to transform a Galil into a rifle that would make me trade my AR-15 in for it and never look back. But I think I'd rather start with the R4. LOP, &c.

Jagdraben - just a little FYI - the new Galil stocks are made out of polymer as well...

The CIA Golani Sporter that I was looking at had a steel tubular buttstock. Getting a new buttstock would, again, be difficult to source.

[/off-topic]

I'd love to get my hands on an airsoft commando Tavor. What type of gearbox and hopup is going in it? Any estimated release date? What will be the price range? Folding sights + replica MARS sight please. And a functional ambi bolt and a spring release would be nice. :)

When do you guys think you'll have your first one ready for shipping?  Or some more photos of a finished example?

Speaking with Guy the other day, he estimated that the first batch of 50 Galils would ship in about 1 month. And knowing Guy, when he says 1 months, it's a pretty realistic and accurate estimate, unlike the Asian manufacturers who say 1 month but really mean 6 to 8 months.

Some more finished product pics would definitely be good. I will say that the two times I've inspected the Galil first hand I was supremely impressed by it. The attention to detail, the quality of the piece... was simply astounding. It felt and looked like a real Galil. Holding this AEG in my hands, it was immediately apparent that this was made by skirmishers for skirmishers, but more than that, it was made by people intimately familiar with the real steel rifle and had a love for it.

I'd love to get my hands on an airsoft commando Tavor. What type of gearbox and hopup is going in it? Any estimated release date? What will be the price range? Folding sights + replica MARS sight please. And a functional ambi bolt and a spring release would be nice. :)

I emailed TSI Armories a few days ago about gearbox type and price.

"The Tavor is being designed with a ver. 2 mech-box.

We are still in R&D on it so it is too early to talk prices, but watch our web site for updates.

We are hoping to get a prototype ready within the next 2 months.

Thank you for your interest in our products,

Guy Ayal

TSI Armories LLC"

I really don't know why they'll use a v.2 gearbox, to me that makes no sense.

Also, it would be very interesting to see what kind of hop-up they will use.

Maybe a v.2 gearbox and a M4 style hop-up, but I hope this isn't the case.

Seeing how the video says "go to TSI armories today and order yours now" I'm guessing it wouldn't be hard to find out. The website says you can e-mail them for a price quote. I'd do it if it wasn't a galil (eww).

Hey, what's wrong with Galil? It's manufactured after one of the best assault rifles in the world = SAKO Valmet RK62.

And even though the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think the Galil shape is awesome. One could argue against high profile while shooting prone, etc. but overall ... yeah, A+.

:D

-=-Speer-=-

This looks very promising! I'm definitely interested in the SAR. It'll be interesting to see how they've built the double fire selector. Inokatsu's is just molded on to the pistol grip and is frankly quite disappointing for a gun that costs 1200USD+.

Now the guys at TSI just need to make an UZI :)

Yo, Finlander -- you should have brought up the fact that Galil was manufactured after the RK62 blue prints that Israel bought from Finland. :)

And of course to those who don't know or haven't made a connection between SAKO Valmet RK62 and AK-47 then yes, they are very much related. Finnish arms manufacturer took the AK-47 prints and polished them out to make the best assault rifle in that family = RK62 which later evolved to RK95 Ranger.

Why do I say best? Because none of the family members have as good barrel as Valmet. That's the reason. If you know real steel world then you know the quality of Finnish made rifle barrels and you will agree. :)

But did you know that AK-47 design was stolen from the Germans at the end of the WWII? Niet? Da? Nein? Ja? Check out Stg44 and let me know if you think Mr. Kalashnikov was *not* taking good notes of German engineering? Of course he advanced the idea furthe, but it really took Finns and Israelis to make the ultimate advancement possible in AK-style family. :D

And of course when fighting anywhere with undergrowth and woodland type environment, I will take 7.62x39R over 5.56NATO any day. I like to be able to reach my target so to speak... ;)

By the way -- someone oughta fight that stupid decision in Finland to stop buying SAKO Valmet rifles!!! What the heck is wrong with that? They truly believe that they can replace these wepons? With what? Norincos?!?!? Argh...

Hauskaa illanjatkoa sinne Suomen maalle! ;)

-=-Speer-=-

Archived