• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, sharp pointy things everyone.

Got a question, anyone had any experience with either Spyderco's Paramilitary or Military?

I stumbled upon them when looking for a nice EDC ( I realize that the Mil. version is a tad big for EDC) but they're similar enough knives that experience with either would count for both.

Spyderco knifes are really....varied, for the lack of a better word. Get either the D2 or the S30V version, and you'll be fine. I'm not much of a liner-lock fan, but they'll serve you fine as long as you don't go door-kicking.

If I were you, I'd go for the Mil. version as long as it's legal. Often enough the extra cutting edge will be really handy.

Grab a Spyderco Sharpmaker while you're at it, best sharpening system for idiot knife nuts (like myself).

Edited by r.ocelot
Spyderco knifes are really....varied, for the lack of a better word. Get either the D2 or the S30V version, and you'll be fine. I'm not much of a liner-lock fan, but they'll serve you fine as long as you don't go door-kicking.

If I were you, I'd go for the Mil. version as long as it's legal. Often enough the extra cutting edge will be really handy.

Grab a Spyderco Sharpmaker while you're at it, best sharpening system for idiot knife nuts (like myself).

your lack of faith in spyderco, makes my willingness to buy one..waiver..

any other suggestions for a more appropriate EDC? 3.5" blade tops, preferably without a tanto blade

edit

gah you and your ninja edits!

Edited by Vostok

any other suggestions for a more appropriate EDC? 3.5" blade tops, preferably without a tanto blade

edit

Don't get me wrong, by varied, I mean they have a lot of steel material for any particular model, which is a good thing.

If you can afford it, a lightly used Emerson is nice as well. I might be going to the NYCCKS tomorrow, where the Strider crew, Rick Hinderer, Emerson couple, and a heck load of other custom makers are showing off their wares.

edit

It's what works personally for you. Possibly a Delica may be an alternative to the Para/Military

I have three Spyderco's, a Native, which has the most comfortable grip I have found yet, but is too large for an EDC. A Pegasus, which is no longer in production but is a lovely piece of kit, and a Ladybug which permanatly lives on my keys.

My own personal EDC is a SOG Paratool, it's about 7 years old now and the second one i've had after the first was stolen :angry:

Will get pics up when I sort out my digicam.

I like the milli with the peely ply CF handle, much better grip then most CF. It's very light for the amount of blade you get as well, 4inches may be too much for everyday carry though. Sal (the founder and owner of spyderco) is a great guy to chat to and spyderco are good if there are problems

the large sebenza is nice 3.5inch knife but at $380 for the basic model it's not cheap

I like benchmade knives and their axis lock. I prefer the 556 to the 705 of the two I have

anyway here's another couple of pics

DSCN1083.jpg

Mora, Shing field knife (Not mine), Fallkniven F1

scandi1.jpg

custom made scandi

anyd another cheaper option the Mora 2000

http://www.survival.hu/mambo/images/storie...os/mora2000.jpg

It's what works personally for you. Possibly a Delica may be an alternative to the Para/Military

I have three Spyderco's, a Native, which has the most comfortable grip I have found yet, but is too large for an EDC. A Pegasus, which is no longer in production but is a lovely piece of kit, and a Ladybug which permanatly lives on my keys.

My own personal EDC is a SOG Paratool, it's about 7 years old now and the second one i've had after the first was stolen :angry:

Will get pics up when I sort out my digicam.

Hmm, I was looking at them, and they look like they'll fit the bill for an EDC, I'll probably get something bigger for work, field use etc (something like a SOG Trident).

About the Paratool, my Dad has had one for the last 8 years, and its still going strong, I'm seriously considering replacing my Leatherman Wave with one.

edit

about the SOG Trident, not the best in reviews, so I'll find something else..

Edited by Vostok
  • 2 weeks later...

Henry,

Scratch the underside of the scale with a screw driver or something, if you get powdery stuff, then it's G-10.

If you don't like the grip, you can always modify your own, like "potterma" from the USN did:

http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hornho2iu3.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m...omclosed8aw.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=groovecf2tc9.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=groovecf2tc9.jpg

Not really, you just need to put on some kind of mask and work in a ventilated area, here's my self-grooved strider scales:

IMG_0070.jpg

Another thing is that Micarta is weaker than G-10, so it would make for a weaker knife (shouldn't matter unless you plan to pry things with the subcom).

Have fun!

Edited by r.ocelot

tbh they're okay, my F4 blade is buggered up since it has/had bad metallurgy (read as sharpened it once with a stone......tried cutting printer paper with it.....the blade shattered since there were hollow spaces in it) and time will tell how the Hissatsus will do since they're obviously not utilitarian designs. The Hissatsu folder was a PITA to break in.

edit: Also the Hissatsu sheath belt attachment design sucks. I set up the elastic cord myself to attach it that way.