Things that are beginning to annoying me

Tom Andrews

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I already mentioned that. To be road legal they must have lights, indicators, number plates, road tax and insurance. It's illegal to ride just about any vehicle on the pavement (this includes bikes).

So, essentially, the mobility scooter things are only legal for off-road use on private land with the permission of the owner.

A guy who lives around the corner from me has a road legal one, though it hasn't so much got a headlight as a floodlight on the front. Damn thing's built like a Hummer. The council have recently lowered the kerb for him 'cos he had to get off his old one and try to lift it over the kerb (which couldn't have been easy - I gave him a hand if I saw him and it was pretty light, but still...), but with the beast he's got now he just gets it up to ramming speed and charges straight over the kerb like he's Colt Seavers.

When I was a security guard we got a memo around about a bloke in NI who was going into shops on one, loading it up with stuff then charging the guards down and screaming off at about 40mph.

Apparently he was a bit of an electrics genius before he got into drugs then got ME.

Arrrrgh!

Nearly ran me over today!

Some old biddy driving along, I was waiting in line for the cashpoint and she looked at me and just carried on driving straight towards me. I was expecting her to swerve or at least make some attempt to not run me down so I stepped backwards and she just waltzed through on it, her *fruitcage* shopping basket knocking in to the guy in front of me. She didn't even apologise, or say thank you, or anything.

Grrr. My beef isn't with the elderly. It's with those *fruitcage* deathmobiles they drive!

While I have sympathy with anyone who has lost - by whatever means - such mobility as to require the assistance of such a scooter, there are rules in place to govern such vehicles and they should be adhered to for the safety of all concerned.

I don't imagine these things would fare well in a collision with a car, much less anything larger, yet I see them driving on the road - ON THE WRONG SIDE of the road, in some cases - at some significant risk to themselves. And who would be blamed? Why the motorist, of course....

It's amusing to pick up while parked between two other cars in a car park, turn them 90 degrees and put them back down again.

As long as the other cars are still there when the Smart car driver comes back, you're treated to an interesting show of confused/angry driver trying to figure out how to get out.

If you've got a person on each corner, yeah, it's pretty easy.

They're the modern-day mini cooper. Since the "new mini" isn't all that small.

One of my lecturers at Uni told a tale from his own uni days, of carrying a friend's mini and putting it between two trees, inches to spare, so no way to drive it out. Where we got the idea for the smart car.

Or there was the engineering class who took a mini apart and reassembled it in the owner's living room....

I always wondered if that could be done due to the chassis size? Either way if it can be it's ace.

I did manage to life my mate's Fiat Uno from the back and move it about a foot once before dropping it on his toe lol! One of the advantages of playing rugby I suppose.

For the guys who hate the Smart cars, just wait till you spot a G-wizz. Just imagine the result of a drunken one night stand between one of those kids pedals cars with the yellow roofs and a golf buggy

Or go here

http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store

To make matters worse these ugly things are electric and the batteries are recharged by plugging them into the mains, which in the UK is usually from a coal fired power station. Now thats really environmentally friendly

Archived