British Army 24 hour ration packs or USA MREs?

torN-

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The choccy pud or custard and fruit dumplings are lush but The Brick is best used as fuel...

And how do they make Biscuits Brown taste and look so damned brown?

And the reason not to use the GZ dogburger van? The horrendous queues and lack of food if you're at the back of the queue.. They taste ok for a bit of ground-up dead beast though.

on a side note , -space monkey- where did you get the crusader mug lid from , looks like stainless ? , the only one i could find was made from clear "perspex" type stuff (made by survival aids inc.)

I'd prefer a metal one.

Oh and £4 for a ratpack is good , theyre £7.50 round here!

Jim

The choccy pud or custard and fruit dumplings are lush but The Brick is best used as fuel...

And how do they make Biscuits Brown taste and look so damned brown?

And the reason not to use the GZ dogburger van? The horrendous queues and lack of food if you're at the back of the queue.. They taste ok for a bit of ground-up dead beast though.

And that's why I always bring my own food, never even tried the van but the queues were enough of a putoff.

on a side note , -space monkey- where did you get the crusader mug lid from , looks like stainless ? , the only one i could find was made from clear "perspex" type stuff (made by survival aids inc.)

I'd prefer a metal one.

Oh and £4 for a ratpack is good , theyre £7.50 round here!

Jim

I get the 4 man packs for a tenner as well.. :P

The lid is ally.. it's homemade using a picture hanger as the lifting handle riveted on in the centre. Just cut out a wooden template of the mug then beat a sheet of ally around it as a former. Those plastic ones are dritt. Put it anywhere near a real fire and it melts in seconds..

DSC00412.jpg

Another useful thing to make is a C clip out of springy steel to act as a hanger. This sits in the cooker when not in use. The mug can then be used like a billy can:

DSC00184.jpg

If you want something compact but with a bit more guts than the Crusader cooker, then I can recommend the www.clikstand.com stove. It folds flat to pretty much nothing and uses a Trangia style alcohol/meths burner, but can also use an esbit/hexy block if you so desire. Add 10% water to the meths/alcohol if you want a cleaner burn without residue..

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

Hope this is of use to someone.. :huh:

I first got turned onto the MRE's before my hard-core airsoft days by a friend of mine in the DC 5-0. I LOVE the spanish-spicy rice in the new american MRE's. It's even better with the tobasco sauce. The orange powder drink thing was pretty good...and god help me, I love the pound-cake thing you get in some of them.

The rest I found were kind of 'meh'.

It's not something i'd eat every day unless I was in the sandbox for real and had to, but it's a nice treat every once and a while that adds to the experience and realisim if you're in a game, but that's just my opinion.

Don't really get the appeal of issue MREs. Whilst they aren't disgusting, they arn't great, and they are pretty expensive aswell. I made a food dehydrator, so I may experiment with different things to make some meals that I can rehydrate and heat up to eat.

the newer kind we get here in the states are actually great.

long gone are the days of "meal rejected by everyone" and all that.

Yeah, the ones I've had weren't bad either, obviously an instant meal for outdoors is never going be really nice, I still think that the price they are sold for (some people seem to be getting them at pretty good prices) isn't worth what is often a mass produced meal, surplus to requirements.

The main meal sachets in Brit Rats are actually Wayfarer meals- the ones you buy in Outdoors shops at about £3 each. Word is that if you work in the factory you can buy them at 79p each. I need a contact within..

My mate is about to sell some new dehydrated meals in his shop so we are going to try them next month up a mountain somewhere.

BTW does anyone actually eat that vile concoction that is described as pate..?

If you eat tinned food such as bangers and beans, all day brekkie etc, then dig a small scrape in the earth with your hand that's narrower than the tin. Put a hefty dent in the side of the tin. Light a hexy block or similar in the bottom of the scrape (use a thick bit of bark to insulate from the earth) and place tin on top. Within a minute or so the dent will pop out. REMOVE CAN IMMEDIATELY OR IT WILL EXPLODE! Shake vigorously, then leave to cool for a minute or so before opening. Voila- instant pressure cooker... your meal will be piping hot. This is quite safe and a very convenient can cooking method if you remove as soon as the dent is popped out.

Am wondering what about those "expedition foods" that people going to the north pole or up the himalayas use?

If were thinking about the same thing its usually dehydrated food (water being available up in the mountains in copious quantities) which makes it impracticable for softing/exercises/camping compared to wet boil in the bag types... its just extra embuggerance to make up and you have to lug the water about with you.

@Gadge, I think she meant the Boilliey Civvie stuff, (Bacause I was about to ask that as well TBH) Wayfarer IIRC now do a single meal Pack that comes with a heater.

Anyone Know anyware that has any UK 24 Hr Rat Pack in stock? I was under the impression that they were released via the MOD Disposal agents when they had about 3 years or so left on their shelf life, but they are getting harder to find.

I remember the old 'duncans' chocolate that was nearly always going white...

That and 'cheese possessed' I dont think i knew anyone who ever ate that...

My box of food came today, im impressed. I opened up the veggie box and ive eaten the duncans chocolate already lol! Its all in really good condition!

w00t what a buy!

@Gadge, I think she meant the Boilliey Civvie stuff, (Bacause I was about to ask that as well TBH) Wayfarer IIRC now do a single meal Pack that comes with a heater.

Anyone Know anyware that has any UK 24 Hr Rat Pack in stock? I was under the impression that they were released via the MOD Disposal agents when they had about 3 years or so left on their shelf life, but they are getting harder to find.

Read one of my earlier posts on the previous page concerning the scarcity. If you can find 'em cheap then buy 'em. Shelf life is much more than stated.

Since my days of college and my expeditions to various mountain areas of the lovely UK, ive sorta forgotton how to cook my rat packs lol. I remember being told to break the fuel blocks in two. But do i completely submerge the bag into the water or just plop it in, also how long do they take to cook (how long does the water have to boil for).

lol soz for the silly questions, just for the life of me i cant remember.

Archived