T.A.D. gear

blackopssniper92

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got round to testing the waterproofness of the new Stealth. It's been raining pretty hard in Scotland at the moment:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8337149.stm

On Saturday I was walking up around Corrie Brandy, no rain but it was hellishly windy with typical autumn conditions in Scotland. Probably peaking at around 35-40mph as the wind was forced over the lip of the Corrie cliffs. Layered with a merino pullover it was perfect and warm enough that on the walk up I had the pit zips open.

Sunday it ###### down! I was out wandering about in Dundee city centre shopping with my girlfriend and the rain was torrential. We were out and about for three hours or so including the twenty minute walk home. No seepage, no wet spots and the DWR kept the outer fabric completely dry. I hadn't realised until that point that the Stealth isn't just water resistant like a lot of soft-shells but waterproof. My old TNF soft-shell would have been sodden by that point. Good stuff!

I made the arduous 10 minute trek to the shop yesterday and picked up the Ranger Hoodie v5. It's a good thing I did too, half of the smalls have already been sold. I loved it so much, I decided to wear the hoodie to class last night.

I finally see what all the hype is about with this piece of kit. It's incredibly warm without being stuffy or excessively heavy. If you didn't already know, it's laid out in the same exact way as the stealth hoodies with a few minor departures (eg being made of fleece, lack of pit zips). So those of you who already have those, will know exactly how the Ranger Hoodie works.

As the website states, it's great for wearing by itself provided it is not raining. It's also great for layering under a softshell or a hardshell. When it starts snowing in the Sierras, I'll give it a run up there layered under my Explorer Jacket.

The only con I can think of is that I wish they had put pit zips in instead of the slits they have.

So, if you're looking for a good cold weather layer, this is it!

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072-2.jpg

DSC_0070-2.jpg

And I couldn't resist a family shot:

DSC_0075-2.jpg

Rear: FAST Pack PS v2 (Foliage)

Middle: Ranger Hoodie v5 (ME Green), Explorer Jacket in RH (ME Brown)

Front: Merino Braincase (ME Green), Merino Neck Gaiter (ME Green)

It's actually pretty wind resistant. The only places wind sneaks in is around the wrists, but that's 'cause I'm a skinny mofo. I would say it's significantly warmer than my Explorer, mainly because it's fleece and there aren't as many ways to vent heat.

I can't wait to test out both layered on top of each other in the high Sierras while it's snowing.

I wear a Small BDU top and wear Medium shells and Small for things that are for layering. I dunno that will work for you.

If you have Facebook, you can ask the designer himself for fitting advice on their page. Just look up TAD Gear on Facebook, give him your height, weight, chest size, and waistline, and he'll tell you what size you should wear for a specific product.

Got a Shag Master blanket and... well... I like it so much that I rather want to get one of the Shag Master hoodies. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? It would be a no-brainer for the Rocket World one, but I'm afraid it might be a bit too silly (unless I am, as they have pictured there, kitted out in my rifling gear).

I've looked over this thread...yall have a new addict to join the ranks. Just made my first order for one of their alpine neck gaiters and the TAD Gear Bug Out Anorak. It was on sale and I was weak. whats everyones opinion of it?

Well the Anorak design in general is good if you are going to be wearing it for long periods as the half zip can be annoying to put on and take off at times. But it does stow well so I think you made a good buy. There will be many more to come I imagine. TAD products will do that to you.

I think I might pickup a Rocket World Shagmaster/Sasquatch hoodie too. I Love my stealth, after 6 months and it is my daily beater... I wear it every day to school, airsoft, etc, and it barely looks used, but I dislike the not so discreet velcro on the arms, that are superfluous for daily wearing. My only question is do those "claws" stow away/detach? I like them, but I cannot see them as something I'd like to constantly have on :P

I think I might pickup a Rocket World Shagmaster/Sasquatch hoodie too. I Love my stealth, after 6 months and it is my daily beater... I wear it every day to school, airsoft, etc, and it barely looks used, but I dislike the not so discreet velcro on the arms, that are superfluous for daily wearing. My only question is do those "claws" stow away/detach? I like them, but I cannot see them as something I'd like to constantly have on :P

You have to tuck them under your cuffs, then is no other way to "stow" them. You can cut them off but no way to do so without making them fulgy at the stitching.

I had to buy one size under although I wear a Large Stealth Jacket because with the large the sleeve were too long and it seem a bit baggy on my frame. Eventually I decided to sell it to a family member because well, I remain everyone of Pedo-Bear with it on. It was very very warm when I had it.

I do want a blanket tho, if it is even 75% warm as the hoodie I'm sold.

Ask away if you any more questions about the ShagMaster.

That looks like it is warm. How do you like it? I may have to toss it in next time I pick something up there.

There's an emoticon for my feelings toward it:

:wub:

Although, I do wish it were longer. Doesn't fit very well on my twin long-sized bed... and my toes tend to stick out from underneath it. I'm half tempted to buy another one to throw in the car for emergencies.

(And, needless to say, I wouldn't be looking at the sweaters if I didn't like the blanket! Also: I think I'll go with the Sasquatch and leave the ears off in favor of the horns. >.>)

Since you have owned the sasquatch hoodie before (@ reincarnation), how visible/lumpy are the gloves/claws when "stowed" under the sleeves? Also, I plan on using it as both a standalone and a layering thing under my stealth v4 (size medium). The stealth is a bit big on me in areas and I can fit an old ll bean fleece under it relatively comfortably... As such, what size shoudl I get? Also, the ears/horns do come off, right?

Since you have owned the sasquatch hoodie before (@ reincarnation), how visible/lumpy are the gloves/claws when "stowed" under the sleeves? Also, I plan on using it as both a standalone and a layering thing under my stealth v4 (size medium). The stealth is a bit big on me in areas and I can fit an old ll bean fleece under it relatively comfortably... As such, what size shoudl I get? Also, the ears/horns do come off, right?

Not noticeable to other, first few time you will notice it yourself and then after awhile you would care less.

With my personal experience I would say Small, however that is me. I tried on both Large and a Medium at the shop and went with the Medium because with the Large:

1. There was too much length on the sleeves for my arms.

2. The overall length was too long, felt like a dress.

However that is me. I would just go with the Medium to be on the safe side. I wore it as a standalone and layered with my Stealth Jacket (Large), which felt warm and protected from Mother Nature.

Ears/horns are removable. Hooks on the ears/horns, pile inside of the hood. You have to fit them through two slits to attach them, tricky at first with all the fleece in the area.

Archived