Optics

scar527

I was considering getting a new optic for my rifle. I have nothing wrong with my current optic,(bsa 4x32) just want something say... a little more capable (variable power, or a mil dot system).

So what would you reccomend or what do you use and why do you like it? If you can list a price and where to get it.

Post away!

Scar527 ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently using an old 4x32 made by an company from japan called tokutataronica.

it came with one of my MGC 10/22's

its worked very well so far and is remarkably clear. the rings that came with it are rubbish, but have held up over the years.

Starting to get into real steel on the side, So might end up with better glass in the future.

The M700 is equipped with an old 4x40 Weathersby Premier scope and the CTR-02 got a Trijicon TA-11 3.5x35 ACOG.

The old Weathersby is a slave, I bought it second hand for a 100$, and it is one of the best scopes I have in my hands. Rigid build, clear optics, wide view and a last but not least a good eye relief (something many "airsoft grade" scopes lack).

The Trijicon... it is... well... it is a RS sight, it costs a fortune and carries all the benefits that comes with that. It is perfect for airsoft with its 3.5 magnification and self adjusting reticule illumination and tritium source for night time skirmishing. It is not as good as my Zeiss scope but it comes close.

A scope for airsoft ,

well , take the biggest one you can find (for example 3-9x50) ,

the bigger the last number , the wider your view will be...

My scope costs like 450€ , a 6-24X50AE JÄGER scope ,

and it gives you such an advantage over an 3-9x30 or x40 scope...

the field of view is so much bigger...

A scope for airsoft ,

well , take the biggest one you can find (for example 3-9x50) ,

the bigger the last number , the wider your view will be...

My scope costs like 450€ , a 6-24X50AE JÄGER scope ,

and it gives you such an advantage over an 3-9x30 or x40 scope...

the field of view is so much bigger...

I think you have got it wrong. The last number is not the field of view, simply the diameter of the front optic.

Divide the magnification into the optic size to get an idea how well light is transferred to the eye. Your 6-24X50 has a light index of 8.3 while a 3-9X40 has a light index of 13.3

Simply put this means the scope collects and transfers light better to your eye. This comes into play when light conditions are poor and at dawn/dusk.

My compact 1.5-5X20 Simmons Nightview has a light index of 13.3 and is suited to shooting in lowlight due to high quality lens and a super wide angle. This tiny front optic provides a view so wide that you can easily see your muzzle in the scope picture. In fact here is a snap of it...

2008_0609june-moot-hinglesW0695.jpg

As you can see the ordinary m40a1 barrel length is easily in the view and remember I am using high scope rings too. I personally think that the field of view of a scope caps your maximum range :unsure: as you can aim far higher with a wide angle scope and still have the target in scope picture . Don't get me wrong, I have still hit people when I have had to aim so wide/high that the target was no where near the scope picture :P but that becomes far more on instinct/skill and luck.

Field of view is doesn't directly corrolate to size of front optic and at higher magnifications, is narrowed right down. Don't always think bigger is better when it comes to scopes is my best advice and I soon sold my 50mm scope as amongst other things, I found the large front optic gave me away. Some might say to make a cover for the front optic to aid in concealment, but then you are cutting down on how much light/view is gathered and you may as well just have a smaller optic that doesn't need concealing as much.

Good Hunting ;)

Very nice info Bushman. I actually never really knew how the light transference calculated out. I automatically assumed a big front optic was better without taking the lowest zoom power into consideration.

4-16X56 Accushot swat mil-dot red /green! cost 150 euro the field of view is clear an is an very good scope! 3-9X44 Walther mil dot red costs 80 euro good field of view and an Tasco 2,5-10X56 huntig scope from my rifle k98 its an real good scope its 7-8 yeahrs old an the new price was 1

for the price an the futures and accessiors are the accushot the best he cames with flip up covers ,sunshade,batteries,

Interesting, after asking about sniper rifles, I have decided to go with the Warrior 2 L96 and buy this scope to go with it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ENDSOON#GALLERY

Opinions?

I will of course request the 20mm rail mounts and make sure I buy the L96 with just the bipod.

For scopes I think the most important thing is the durabilty which means how it keeps it's zeroing in hard use.

Actually I think scope is usually the the most underrated thing an airsoft sniper rifle can have. Usually people think that in airsoft rifle the cheapest scope suffices because the ranges are so low and there is no recoil etc. Even with real steel rifles the recoil isn't often the hardest stress that scope occurs but it's the stress you get from transporting the scope and moving and crawling with it.

i have a leapers scope and it's actually really nice, i have the 3-12X 44mm scope with the 30mm tube, this one but without the iluminated reticle http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/accessor...cessory_id=2263

it's a very nice scope, it's big and a bit heavy but not much... very good quality optics, mildot reticle with 6 dots instead of the regular 4, it includes de sunshade and the flip up lens caps although they are very bad.

i would absolutely recomend it to anybody looking for a 30mm scope with good quality optics and build.

Divide the magnification into the optic size to get an idea how well light is transferred to the eye. Your 6-24X50 has a light index of 8.3 while a 3-9X40 has a light index of 13.3

Could you put that in some math please?.. Not sure if I understood how to divide

Simply put this means the scope collects and transfers light better to your eye. This comes into play when light conditions are poor and at dawn/dusk.

My compact 1.5-5X20 Simmons Nightview has a light index of 13.3 and is suited to shooting in lowlight due to high quality lens and a super wide angle. This tiny front optic provides a view so wide that you can easily see your muzzle in the scope picture.

I belive this is what you are looking for.

Happy Hunting :bleh:

I love the leupold replica's on www.matchstickglobal.com .I have used 3 of them so far.

Anyways the last number (usually 32, 40, or 50) is the objective lense diameter. The larger it is, the brighter your picture is because more light is let in, but the less clear just becuase of magnification lens properties. 50mm is the biggest you should ever need, in fact most militarys (even on the high caliber .50 rifles) use a maximum of 40mm objective lenses. to keep it crisp and clear. I use 50mm on airsoft though just because it looks more aggressive and kickass, and because at the magnifications i need, it's plenty clear. It's not that noticable, dont get me wrong, until you get to the mid teens (13x +) for magnification.

For you guys looking at spending a bit of money on your scopes, have a look at Falcon, specifically their 1.5-5x30 IR:

http://www.falconoptics.com/menace1.5-5x30.php

They go for about £100, and having used other falcon optics, I would definately consider getting one if your after a high end airsoft scope; the magnification range is right where you need it, high quality lenses (94% light transmission!) w/30mm tube, and illumiated reticule too.

Just thought id throw that into the mix :P

Archived