Optics

scar527

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phantom, For hunttering would you reccomend a 3-9x32? Killamaniac just made a great point. I will highly consider a 3-9.

Yes, a 3-9X40 or 32 is good for field hunteering. Last event, my pair struggled from not having high enough magnification optics (5 power). We failed to spot our opponents around 160-180m away, despite loooking right at them for several hours. They were where we guessed they could be, however, we only had a hunch. Meanwhile, they were observing us closely with 9 magnification scopes. :(

Many would say take high power binoculars/monoculars for observing. However, much depends on the season and terrain. My minimal approach normally stops me taking them these days, if I am honest. I have a spotting scope but for field hunteering it is not practical. Its good on the range and for wildlife.

Good Hunting ;)

I would use a 6x scope, but i like to have a wide range of view. I must disagree with the 6-18 or 6-24 power scope though, as i do RS high power shooting(400m +) and i use a 8.5-24x50. For airsoft that is just too much power for me.I like the 3-9 scopes because you can get all of those advantages like : having a high power for recon/observation, low enough power for airsoft, and a low power for a wide field of view(ie: observing a large area and scannning for movement). But it is all my opinion.Why do you like having such high power scopes? Do you play big games where you must identifly a specific person?

Happy Hunting

Scar527

2 of my regular game site have very large open area's. It's good to be able to see a long way. Also, with shooting between tree's and bushes, it's nice to see where the BB is going, and where it lands, so I can compensate for my next shot, if I need one. Looks are a big thing for me too. Few things are worse than a small scope on large rifle. I've never honestly played with a smaller scope for an extended period of time. I really should.

Oh thats why :D . I never thought of that. I haven't worried about looks too much because in hunteering usability is the key thing. In my mind i shouldn't be seen, so it shouldn't matter, but however, indimidation helps a lot if you are a milsim player(like at the chrono station, and some nub freaks out when he see's 550-600 fps). If you can post a picture of your rifle with the scope on it.

Almost forgot, i shot my rifle with friends 3-9 on it on 6x and i see what you mean. I am thinking of using 3x when i am roving and navigating, and if i spot a target(s) i will move the knob to 6x ti track the shot all the way to the target so i know how much compensate in case of a miss. Let me know what you think.

Depends on the range.

I am really lucky & have good eyesight allowing me to follow a bb out to about 50m.

After that I go anywhere between 3 & 6x mag.

Problem with tellies is that they rob you of 3d & perspective, often distorting range & 'tunneling' you awareness.

I am lucky that I have an old Schwarovski 1.5-5x25 which is an awesome light weight scope. I also use a huge Rino 6-24x56 which is pretty good & always turns heads due to it's awesome hugeness. :D

One of those Star 1-4x er, 20, I think, leopold M-whatever-ris scope reps, that is actually not bad 'cos on 1x mag you can use it red dot style with both eyes open. or zoom in for 4x one eye sniper style stuff. About the cheapest scope I have!

The Simmons 1.5-5x20 whitetail (night view) is a really good & affordable copy of the Schwarovski.

& a Simmons 1.5-6x32, very good compact scope.

You know what? I reckon Iv'e already posted all the above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in this very section. :rolleyes:

Sorry.

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a connect o1 comming for an air rifle, & think it maybe just the ticket for soft sniping (10xmag mill dot, with enormouse feild of view & amazing depth of vision, for tracking bb path).

Only drawback is 16mm eye relief, which may be a bind with safety glasses.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Greg.

Anyone has some experience with this scope: http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1340 ?

It's cheap, and has 1-4x magnification. That's all I'm looking for in a scope. Or do Leapers or Tasco have similar scopes (without the rails for example...) I looked on opticsplanet.net but couldn't find anything.

Yeah they look like it. Looks like a good price too - mine (the 5th one down) cost about the same down in NZ (from a direct importer type shop too), US is a bit cheaper but shipping is insane :P Should be arriving any day now to replace my warrior1 scope I've been using on everything haha

I use an ACM Aimpoint replica. It works great during the day, and gives me an advantage to my friends who don't have an optic, but it use useless during night time, as the settings are only high and higher, blinding me with a red or green dot, and making it ultra visible muzzle side.

Lesson learned: Get a red dot that does not have the red and green dot, all you need is red and able to adjust from very low to very high with ease, as two brightness setting isn't going to cut it.

LOL, all this scope discussion is really getting to me..

Last night I dreamed my local retailer got a shipment of scopes of all sizes: 1.5-5X20 , 6X30, 3-9X40...

All those models I'm interested in, so I could finally compare them all side by side...

and then I woke up.

:D

I love the leupold replica's on www.matchstickglobal.com .I have used 3 of them so far.

Anyways the last number (usually 32, 40, or 50) is the objective lense diameter. The larger it is, the brighter your picture is because more light is let in, but the less clear just becuase of magnification lens properties. 50mm is the biggest you should ever need, in fact most militarys (even on the high caliber .50 rifles) use a maximum of 40mm objective lenses. to keep it crisp and clear. I use 50mm on airsoft though just because it looks more aggressive and kickass, and because at the magnifications i need, it's plenty clear. It's not that noticable, dont get me wrong, until you get to the mid teens (13x +) for magnification.

x2. I've used half a dozen scopes for rifle shooting extensively. I like my 3.5-10x50 Leupold replica better than the BSA, Redhead, and Bushnell scopes I have previously owned - the picture is just the the man above me stated. For $55 bucks too, it's hard to count it out. I'm still trying to peg the estimation of the mildot reticule in regards to airsoft though...

DSCN2903.jpg

eta: the x2 should be more like x8 or something

Archived