Best gun to base a DMR on?

alexishere2008

hmmm I'm starting to like the look of the G3K. I do like retractable stocks so I think i would have a G3KA4. Would a retractable stock affect my accuracy? Does it wobble?

I did get an offer for a G36K so I could use that too maybe?

I've got the G&G MP5 side folder and its just as solid as a normal solid stock. I dunno how stable the standard G3 slider is tho as I've never had one.

G36K is a good option too. I also had an idea of a build based on one of those with a long silencer going into the handguard so it looks as if it was an SD hiding a longer inner barrel and a KV style battery stock so I didnt have to worry about taking the front off.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that found the TM G3 to have a bunch of problems that make it totally unsuitable for being a DMR. For starters, the inner barrel moves fairly freely in the outer barrel, ruining any chance of shot-to-shot consistency.

I also found that the point of aim changed, depending how the rifle was supported. Resting it on the bipod bent the whole front set slightly upwards, causing the BBs to go high, compared with if it was supported near the magwell.

Am I the only one that found the TM G3 to have a bunch of problems that make it totally unsuitable for being a DMR. For starters, the inner barrel moves fairly freely in the outer barrel, ruining any chance of shot-to-shot consistency.

I also found that the point of aim changed, depending how the rifle was supported. Resting it on the bipod bent the whole front set slightly upwards, causing the BBs to go high, compared with if it was supported near the magwell.

thats what put me off doing a DMR project, i had the jg g3sg1 and i found the body to flex abit much and like you said barrel moves about abit.

does anyone know if the ca sg1 suffer the same problem ?

i know it has a metal body so that`ll stop the body flexing at least

i vote a g36 varient: no flex, rotary hop unit and ver 3 gearbx

Only knock on the G36 design is that the barrel is not fully supported in the battery compartment. But this is easily fixed with a strip of electrical tape along the U shaped bit that sits above the inner barrel when its in place.

Another thing to eliminate barrel wobble if you have a C length outer with K extension piece is to remove the extension, place a strip of tape vertically along the top of the inner barrel, then the same along the bottom in a staggered strip, then replace the extension. I've done this in a friends G36K and there is zero inner barrel wobble at all now.

M16a1/2/3/4 with a carry handle scope/4X ACOG for the a3/4, and suitable internal upgrades of course, is a damn good DMR/counter sniper weapon, after all the accurised a1 was used as a sniper weapon in vietnam.

Colt Model 655 and 656 "Sniper" variants

With the expanding conflict in South East Asia, Colt developed two rifles of the M16 pattern for evaluation as possible light sniper or designated marksman rifles. The Colt Model 655 M16A1 Special High Profile was essentially a standard A1 rifle with a heavier barrel and a scope mount that attached to the rifle's carry handle. The Colt Model 656 M16A1 Special Low Profile had a special upper receiver with no carrying handle. Instead, it had a low-profile iron sight adjustable for windage and a Weaver base for mounting a scope, a precursor to the Colt and Picatinny rails. It also had a hooded front iron sight in addition to the heavy barrel. Both rifles came standard with either a Leatherwood/Realist scope 3-9x Adjustable Ranging Telescope. Some of them were fitted with a Sionics noise and flash suppressor. Neither of these rifles were ever standardized.

These weapons can be seen in many ways to be predecessors of the U.S. Army's SDM-R and the USMC's SAM-R weapons.

Hmm actually I feel a project coming on.

TM G3 series flex can be sorted with a metal Classic Ary light body & cocking assembly, or if you want to keep the stock TM plastic body you can mod it to accept some parts from PDI which are: Aluminium outer barrel and chose between Chamber block or HG Chamber Block. You can also add this metal 'rod' to your cocking handle if you want to give it even more rigidity Cocking Rod

Same sort of thing again but in a 1 piece from wgc shop, if i remember rightly amateurstuntman has installed one on his G3

Armored Gallery Invision-T Outer Barrel for G3

tbh i'd go for a G3 SG1 and mod it with a CA metal body & a CA one piece cocking assembly, modding the body to take the invision outer barrel, give it a tight bore barrel, new hop rubber, upgrade the gearbox and give it a sliding stock (and then having to find some where for the batteries xD)

G3.... Psh... A G3 is lame compared to an AUG. The AUG is perfect for the DMR role, trust me I would know. It is fully ambi-dexterous, Bull-pup (Prevents the gun from getting stupidly long and makes it much easier to maneuver), features a V.3 gearbox, is easily modified to semi-automatic and the hopup chamber is awesome (The same chamber design is used in the CA M14). Only downfall is limited battery space but that can be overcome with a Lipo or a 12V custom battery pack. I personally chose the CA AUG as my DMR base gun knowing the externals were all that mattered, the CA is hands down better then the JG/Marui AUG externally due to the quality of the plastic used. I was going to end up gutting the beast eventually. So now I have my AUG, shooting at very DMR-ish levels, able to make shots out to 300 feet and up to 250 feet accurately.

Just a quick few beauty shots to change the focus from those G3's.

DSCN1641.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

On that note, I'm not sure a silencer should really be required on a DMR or sniper rifle.

In theory it kinda makes sense to fit a silencer to a sniper rifle but, in practice, you'll be shooting from pretty long range and the report from your shots will be lost amongst the other other skirmishing noises.

A silencer is even less use on a DMR in my experience. In airsoft at least.

I guess it depends what you plan to be doing with it. If you have visions of stalking around and hunting down snipers then I guess it might come in handy.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth, I imagine most DMRs (in airsoft) will be semi-auto rifles with higher power levels and be carried by a member of a fire-team.

In that case, it'll (basically) be used as a defensive weapon, when your team encounters fire that they believe to be from a sniper a long way away.

In that situation a silencer isn't going to be any use since #A The sniper already knows where you are cos he's shooting at you and #B The rest of your team will also be returning unsupressed fire in the direction of the sniper as well.

Course, if you can get a silencer on there with no ill-effects then go for it but, for practical intents, if it hinders the practical use of the weapon then you need to ask yourself why bother?

TBH, practicality was the main reason I stopped using my MSG90.

It's a beautiful looking gun and every time I used it I wondered if I could remove the front part of the cocking-tube and cut down the foregrip to make it more practical.

I HAD to stop using it before I butchered it to make it work better.

Now it looks gorgeous hanging on my wall. ;)

AUG...psh the AUG is possibly the ugliest gun in existence IMO.......AND I hate how the thing shoulders, SO since airsoft is 70% looks I'd pick say two favorites look/possible performance wise and go and hold them/shoot them if you can and choose from there......or option two is pick your favorite looking and just get that one because they all shoot extremely similiar and can be upgraded as high as your budget will allow.

Ur post Optomis makes me want to stop being lazy and get out my DSLR :P

and Stealth Bomber....this is airsoft ha lets be honest here, airsoft is almost all about looks......look at the guys who buy an M4 and totally rape it...practical no, look cool YES. They can be used for a longer inner barrel, like what i am doing with my outer barrel though its really just a waist of money :P .

If you are defining DMR as an accurate, +400fps semi auto, then you can get that out of just about any aeg.

Some will be easier & therefore cheaper, & some will come with a component set, which will be inherently more accurate.

The two which particularly spring to mind are the GnG/CA M14's & surprisingly the tm P90 or clones there of.

They both share a rotary type hop, are relatively easy to strip & have a very sturdy motor cage. Upgrade parts are freely available.

The CA is probably the most economical: I've got one reliably running at 425fps having changed just the spring & motor. It also (unlike the P90) has ample room for a larger type battery, affording better trigger response at higher fps & more shots per charge.

Trigger response will be improved by upgrading the electrics & using a 'large' battery (25C, 11.1v 2500mah+ lipo). Deans connectors, 16swg wire & the inclusion of a mosfet is relatively cheap & easy.

Accuracy is down to the barrel, hop & shot to shot fps consistency. I have not found any improvement, in sub 500fps, aeg accuracy, by using a barrel longer than 363mm.

Greg.

PS: & then, there is the question of ammo. ;)

Only knock on the G36 design is that the barrel is not fully supported in the battery compartment. But this is easily fixed with a strip of electrical tape along the U shaped bit that sits above the inner barrel when its in place.

Another thing to eliminate barrel wobble if you have a C length outer with K extension piece is to remove the extension, place a strip of tape vertically along the top of the inner barrel, then the same along the bottom in a staggered strip, then replace the extension. I've done this in a friends G36K and there is zero inner barrel wobble at all now.

Totally agree, great minds & all that.

Also, the motor cage is a little insecure, allowing the motor to 'give' a bit when used with larger springs. Eventually, this results in pinion gear & stops the gun from working.

Fix that & the G36 would get the crown for best all round aeg platform ever. :D Er,,,,,,,,,,,,probably. ;)

Greg.

SVD isn't a sniper rifle.

i was gonna ask how so?.... but then i googled

Dragunov SVD was designed not as a "standard" sniper rifle in its Western meaning of the term. In fact, main role of the SVD in Soviet / Russian Army is to extend effective range of fire of every infantry squad up to about 600 meters and to provide special fire support.

Source

basically that would mean it is a DMR, since its not got a long enough effective range to be classed as a sniper

EDIT: just thought you could use a LSW aswell XD

i was gonna ask how so?.... but then i googled

Source

basically that would mean it is a DMR, since its not got a long enough effective range to be classed as a sniper

EDIT: just thought you could use a LSW aswell XD

L86 Sniper mod?

With all this talk of M14's it might be worth waiting for the CYMA JAE-100 to see if it's any good at lobbing bbs.

I find the normal m14 stocks to be completely the wrong shape for getting a decent and comfortable cheekweld at speed when using a scope, it's too low and too thin. It can be improved with a cheek pad of some sort on the stock but this is one of the main compaints of the m14 platform in it's real 7.62mm form :P Look for pics of US personnel using it in modern times as a DMR and see how thick the pad they strap onto the stock is hehe.

Bottom line is that the real JAE-100 was developed in part to bring the ergonomics of the m14 up to speed with the 21st century !!

With all this talk of M14's it might be worth waiting for the CYMA JAE-100 to see if it's any good at lobbing bbs.

I find the normal m14 stocks to be completely the wrong shape for getting a decent and comfortable cheekweld at speed when using a scope, it's too low and too thin. It can be improved with a cheek pad of some sort on the stock but this is one of the main compaints of the m14 platform in it's real 7.62mm form :P Look for pics of US personnel using it in modern times as a DMR and see how thick the pad they strap onto the stock is hehe.

Bottom line is that the real JAE-100 was developed in part to bring the ergonomics of the m14 up to speed with the 21st century !!

This is such a good point. The M14 stock is fine for it's iron sights but absolutely rubbish with a higher set optic.

Greg.

Just to add some other information to the suppressor on dmr/sniper rifles. When running our PTWs we some times use the suppressors to *hide* the report, but there is a huge drawback to them, they really reduce our range, as the airflow going threw them is unstable, (before people think its the hop up hitting the foam it isnt,) with suppressors on we get maybe 2/3s of our optimum range and groups of about 4ft at 50m, with them off and at the same distance we get around 1ft groups.

PTW stats, 425(suppressor off) 390(with suppressor on) fps, .28s, 6.04 prom ptw barrels and tackelberry hop mods.)

we then tried the same suppressors on a G&P m4

G&P M4 running at 350fps with it on 330 with it off, .25s 6.04 mba barrel, rh45 hop rubber, and we saw the same things happening.

Suppressors used -

MBA Gemtec halo

China soft Gemtec halo.

Don't take my word as gospel but these were our findings, to an extent 4ft groups are good but not as good as we had. we wernt able to test on other suppressors but Im looking in to see what happens with the VFC 1 touch m4 suppressor when it arrives and will report back. as it might be just a side effect of the Gemtec copies.

Archived