Best gun to base a DMR on?

alexishere2008

Im currently using a TM m16A2 as my "DMR" platform. Its not a true DMR, considering its only about 375-380fps, but it outranges my 400FPS m4. I plan to put a tightbore in to increase accuracy. I need an opinion though. I am soon going to be receiving a CYMA M14 SOCOM in a trade. Should I try to use it as a simple DMR platform?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im currently using a TM m16A2 as my "DMR" platform. Its not a true DMR, considering its only about 375-380fps, but it outranges my 400FPS m4. I plan to put a tightbore in to increase accuracy. I need an opinion though. I am soon going to be receiving a CYMA M14 SOCOM in a trade. Should I try to use it as a simple DMR platform?

Yes, for sure! The M14 will easily out range the M16 even in stock condition both in range and accuracy.

Bjorn

Hopup chamber can be replaced with a metal one which should work at least as well.

Fire selectors can be replaced, I have access to rather good stock of spare parts.

I think that the G36 hopup can be adjusted well enough. When set it should not move, or will it?

I love pistol grip over regular stock, I might use M4 mag adapter and short VN style mags, so no problem there.

I will probably fix the outer barrel better then it is in stock format.

No problem with battery, going to use high quality lipo packs.

G36 FTW!

Yes, Poly and PGC both make metal hopup chambers. I've used them both, and they work well enough (PGC didn't work at all in my friend's gun though).

Spend a minute or two with a small drill to make a notch for the selector's set screw to seat in, and you've solved the selector problem for good ;)

Pistol grip/regular stock, meh, personal preference.

Outer barrel on the G36 series is normally very solid, on the CA it is also supported by the foregrip.

Army Code 1 piece barrels are nice too, if a little expensive.

For large batteries, get the G&P stock, new version comes with a cheek pad too.

Well guys I have tried a couple guns (mostly friends') to figure out what would be a good DMR

G3 SG1: Classic army. I found that it was an accurate rifle. It was pretty long lol. As with most DMRs. Good battery space in the stock. The bipod did feel a bit flimsy. Full metal. I have to say it was a nice gun to base a DMR on.

M14: Tried a TM M14 with G&P M14 DMR Kit installed. I liked how it felt. Liked that it had a pistol grip. Made it more comfortable. The rising cheek rest was also a plus. Once again good battery space. Tried the iron sights fell in love with them. One sturdy gun. It was very accurate.

CA G36: I have to say this was my least favorite out of them. Well I think I know why. I was using the stock optics in the carry handle. I have to say that was uncomfortable. The other thing this gun lacked was a cheek rest. The previous two rifle had cheek rests which was nice but all that the G36 had was a skeleton stock. The G36 was also an accurate gun. The selector switch was malfunctioning a bit but I have to say overall it was a good gun. I also felt some ... wobble in the gun. idk if that's just me.

Haven't tried the AUG but I will in some time.

So far its the M14 or the G3 SG1

Haven't tried a M14 without a DMR kit on it so I wouldn't know of the egornomics of one without the kit.

G3 SG1 was pretty nice. I liked how it shouldered same with the M14.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not that abomination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick with either the M14, G36 or if you really want an M4 variant as per all the reasons stated in the previous 6 pages.

agreed

or you could do something a little unique and do a KSK style G3 DMR similar to...

http://www.popularairsoft.com/node/6053/print

I must say that the real-sword type 56 has the best barrel support EVER. I nearly have to jam the inner barrel into place. Just get a pro-win hop chamber and a H-hop and you have a rifle that outranges most others.

The accuracy doesent show as much on semi as on full-auto though, but when you go auto its REALLY obvious whos barrel wobbles least.

No one has really brought up the SR-25 either. The CA and G&P SR-25's are great guns to base a DMR off of, they are M4-esque meaning loads of parts available, have plenty of room in the stock to store a huge battery, the gearbox is plenty re-inforced and can easily take a 150 spring without breaking, the hopup chamber can be replaced with a King Arms or Prometheus chamber to further enhance accuracy and range. Not to mention they just LOOK the part.

I haven't seen any SR25s or SPRs around my area. :no:

but if I think I an go to airsoft extreme and take a look.

So far I have ruled out the G36 it wasn't that great of a DMR platform for me so it's down to the M14 w/ DMR kit or the G3, that ksk sniper looks pretty nice except it's only single shot.

i think that Lj_Tactical has a point of having full auto

Personally i don't think you can go wrong with an M14 as a base for a DMR. Accurate enought, the ability to go auto if the poo hits the spinny thing. Meh just my 2p worth (that's about 3.2 cent for our american cousins)

M14 with DMR kit is probably your best bet. The Tokyo Marui M14 would be a great platform to base it off of, excellent hopup system makes up for any low FPS stock and there is plenty of aftermarket parts to really complete the look of it (Such as the G&P RAS and DMR kit). Either of them will serve you well though, the G3 is just a bid more foreign for my tastes. A good 1911 and M14 makes my world happy.

I'll get you some pictures of my CA SR-25 as soon as it arrives, the wait is just KILLING me. :(

M14 with DMR kit is probably your best bet. The Tokyo Marui M14 would be a great platform to base it off of, excellent hopup system makes up for any low FPS stock and there is plenty of aftermarket parts to really complete the look of it (Such as the G&P RAS and DMR kit). Either of them will serve you well though, the G3 is just a bid more foreign for my tastes. A good 1911 and M14 makes my world happy.

I'll get you some pictures of my CA SR-25 as soon as it arrives, the wait is just KILLING me. :(

haha thanks

yea that does sound like a good combo with a 1911 and a m14

Anything with a 1911 in it is a good combo ;)

Couldn't of said it better myself. :D

Btw, to those who have DMR AEGs, how far can they shoot and what upgrades you need to get that far? I am looking to shoot somewhere between 200-300 feet *if at all possible, without making the gun fire silly or just out right dangerous velocities.

So far I have gathered:

1. Tightbore of some sort

2. Hard or soft bucking depending on velocities

3. H or V shaped hop up bucking

Am I on the right track? I want to keep the muzzle velocity under 400 FPS, more like 350 or so.

Couldn't of said it better myself. :D

Btw, to those who have DMR AEGs, how far can they shoot and what upgrades you need to get that far? I am looking to shoot somewhere between 200-300 feet *if at all possible, without making the gun fire silly or just out right dangerous velocities.

So far I have gathered:

1. Tightbore of some sort

2. Hard or soft bucking depending on velocities

3. H or V shaped hop up bucking

Am I on the right track? I want to keep the muzzle velocity under 400 FPS, more like 350 or so.

i think that 300 feet may be a tad excessive... thats 91 meters or so....

Archived