Painted Weapons Picture Thread

So here is the painted M15 Stock.

For those who cannot read binary code (btw, n00bz! :P:D ) this means

Urban

Digital

stock.jpg

Next thing on my to-do-list are the accesories (RIS-panels, grip, mountbases, silencer etc.). I'll supply you with new WIP-pics. ;)

PS: A happy new year!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let souske explain it, the guy is a god when it comes to different types of camo techniques and patterns.

OHHHH SOUSKE!!!!!! COME OUT..COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE!!!

Oh crud, didn't know some of you guys like it so much. Sorry for not checking here as I've been busy.

The only Krylon camo color I used in that scheme was the brown. The base color I used was Krylon's Satin Mimosa. I then used cheap Color Place "Rust" (a bit reddish) to top it off. Before I applied the Mimosa over the black, I applied the netting on the surface then I sprayed away.

However, there were a few problems with this paint job.

#1. Because I didn't use a Krylon Camo color base coat, the Satin series paint wore off quicker. I chose not to use the Camo khaki at the time because the color was too "dry" and light.

#2. (The deciding factor to go with a new scheme) The weather here's been unexpectedly warm, so most of the vegetation is still green, (actually greener now than it was during the summer!!).

So to address the problem, I used Krylon Camo series paint as the base coat again (flat black and the khaki), then I layered the non camo series paint on there. To address the matching problem with the AO, I changed the scheme to more green. I really liked the snake theme I had on the previous paintjob, but it's pointless to have a painted gun if it doesn't blend in too well with the surrounding. I used a simple leaf stencil I cut off one of my plants. One thing to note is that this is the first time I actually used vegetation stencils, so it was somewhat of a new experience in that respect.

sideanglekk1.jpg

oppanglewk7.jpg

And the carbine with the AP and suppressor in the old snake pattern theme.

sopmodanglesidejm1.jpg

Suggestions are welcome, as I do get ideas from them as well.

Edited by Souske
<snip>

Suggestions are welcome, as I do get ideas from them as well.

Nice pics there mate - looking to do something similar to my M16 once I've got the M203 for it :)

Only suggestion I'd make is for you to subscribe to this thread so we can pick your brain more often :lol:

:geek:

Question for anyone who sprays their gun, what do you do about anything that could potentially be damaged by being sprayed?

I'm thinking in particular gearboxes (gaps above triggers), Inner Barrels etc...

Do you stuff them with cotton wool or similar or remove the internals entirely? :huh:

Woa Woa, I'm not that good! lol

I think the ODAs in the Philippines paint their own weapons, and they're actually really really good at it. They're one of the few operators I've seen with really well painted carbines. Most operators usually do an impromptu half-arsed job, but some of these guys actually pulled out the leaves and started using them as stencils. The photos are floating around MP.net.

Either way, thanks for the comment trfo2o!

I cover the trigger area with tape or wads of paper towels.  I also plug the barrel and magwell full of paper.  I prefer to paint the rifle/carbine as one whole piece so the finish will be more streamlined/complete.

I noticed how often you change your paint scheme! how you "start from scratch?!" What I want to say is how do you use the same rifle for all those paint jobs?! any prep work? or do you just paint away?!

Edited by catsfrommars

OK then, I finally got around to painting the FAMAS.

Here's the finished article:

I painted it in exactly the same way as the test run on the handguard (which you can see earlier in this thread). For some reason, there were parts that I just didn't want to paint. :blink:

It's not bad for a first attempt, but personally I don't like the colours that much. The light brown seems to dominate, and there is not enough green, which isn't dark enough either. I haven't finished with any kind of protective layer so it'll probably rub off in the blink of an eye.

Next time I'll try different colours, and probably stencils too.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.

I noticed how often you change your paint scheme! how you "start from scratch?!" What I want to say is how do you use the same rifle for all those paint jobs?! any prep work? or do you just paint away?!

I remove all old camo paint prior to applying a new pattern. Once that has been done, I apply a few new even coats of flat black, then apply the different colors. You never want to have too many layers of paint on the surface because it will start to chip off after a while.

Here's the finished article:

I painted it in exactly the same way as the test run on the handguard (which you can see earlier in this thread).  For some reason, there were parts that I just didn't want to paint.  :blink:

It's not bad for a first attempt, but personally I don't like the colours that much.  The light brown seems to dominate, and there is not enough green, which isn't dark enough either.  I haven't finished with any kind of protective layer so it'll probably rub off in the blink of an eye.

Cheers.

If this is your first attempt like you said it is, then you did a really good job! The colors are earthy and might blend in well with dryer/muddy areas, and the pattern is not overly complicated (a good thing). It's not everyday I see a painted FAMAS, so good work.

I remove all old camo paint prior to applying a new pattern.  Once that has been done, I apply a few new even coats of flat black, then apply the different colors.  You never want to have too many layers of paint on the surface because it will start to chip off after a while.

Geez... I'm going to sound stupid :P So... do you sand it off or use a kind of paint thinner?

Souske... that stencil idea is wacked, absolutely fabulous... I'm rather against painting guns (as what I usually see is just ruining otherwise nice replicas...), but GEEZ! you've convinced me to actually try something like this one day :)

You, my friend, are crazy in the very best way. Even more crazy than my idol sgt. Sagara, unless you ARE him, LOL! :D

You, my friend, are crazy in the very best way. Even more crazy than my idol sgt. Sagara, unless you ARE him, LOL! :D

All right, another FMP fan! I actually had the same thoughts when I saw his work and his username. :P

Souske, that's some certifiably AWESOME painting! I absolutely love the tropical feel of this one.

Ha ha! I remember FMP a long time ago, great stuff to watch, and quite humorous. Thanks for the comments all!

I finished the ribbed handguard and old 4 position stock. For some unknown reason, I like this setup more with this camo...as it seems sleeker. The RIS and PEQ seemed to break the streamline of the carbine.

sideangleiu2.jpg

siderearangleaw9.jpg

oppsideanglesd7.jpg

Jonboy, you should try painting the Diemaco c7/M16 of yours. It's a beautiful rifle that would serve as a perfect canvas if you decide to paint it, since it could also double as a sniper/DMR platform.

Ha ha!  I remember FMP a long time ago, great stuff to watch, and quite humorous.

Heh, FMP is not over yet, you know :)

I'm hoping they'll release the fourth series soon... the third series ("Second Raid") was pretty dramatic, but that's nothing yet... the story gets dramatic and gut-wrenching from there on... ) know, I'm one FMP novel ahead of what they filmed and impatiently awaiting the translation of the next one :)

Jonboy, you should try painting the Diemaco c7/M16 of yours.  It's a beautiful rifle that would serve as a perfect canvas if you decide to paint it, since it could also double as a sniper/DMR platform.

I was thinking about that, but no... not that one... I want to keep it GI-ish, and besides, layers of paint would likely cover up the trademarks, they're a bit shallow...

Not to mention it would have to be my wife's decision, not mine ;)

I'm thinking of my Beryl rifle instead (as operators from 1PSK do paint them sometimes...), perhaps the second, "temporary" one I intend to build during my upcoming stay in Canada (as I'm not allowed to bring mine, I'll just do to a CYMA AK-74 what I did to a CA SLR-105... and then paint it to hide the plastic receiver ;) )

beryl03az2.jpg

Of course the above paintjob of just green and brown is, well... not really effective nor spectacular, it needs some black details to break up the silhouette - and that's where your leafy stencils would come in really handy :) Heck, I think I'll really go for it with the 'temporary' gun I'll have in Canada :)

Wow! That Beryl looks awesome! Yea, I've seen some of the Polish SF guys painting the Beryls. As for Grom, they only mostly carry the C8 SFWs. The general perception that camo AKs "don't exist" is not true, as I've seen photos of Iraqi SOFs painting their AK74s. If you decide to paint the rifle, be sure to put the pictures up for us to see.

I painted it in exactly the same way as the test run on the handguard (which you can see earlier in this thread).  For some reason, there were parts that I just didn't want to paint.  :blink:

It's not bad for a first attempt, but personally I don't like the colours that much.  The light brown seems to dominate, and there is not enough green, which isn't dark enough either.  I haven't finished with any kind of protective layer so it'll probably rub off in the blink of an eye.

Cheers.

Liking it Rogue, but I see what you mean about getting the colour balance right. My first thought is that it's more of a desert pattern, arid environments, etc... Are you wanting the pattern to fit with a particular environment, match your camo or something? In that case you need to match your colours according to that.

Also, what's with the silencer, does it replace the outer barrel entirely? Looks good! Be using that at UA on the 14th?

Cheers Rosco,

I put a silencer on just to make it look a little different. The inner barrel only goes about 2/3 of the way into the silencer. The silencer was very easy to put on. Just remove the outer barrel, add a little widget from Laylax, and then screw on the silencer over the inner barrel.

I don't think that I'll take this to UA, myMP5 is back together now (with UGL), so it'll probably be that.

It also resembles the color scheme on the XM8. I would turn it into an XM8 if only the kit was halfway decent. In another month or so I'll probably hit it with a spray of CB paint to match my plate carrier better, but I'm happy for now.

Just a note....g36c's are a PAIN to tape up. I should have just taken it apart. Soo many tiny crevices.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I haven't whored these pics here yet :lol:

Sprayed my Comp'ed M190 (to get rid of the gun-metal grey-green colour they are by default), and my AK47 grips (IMO they look better than fake wood grips, until I get some real wood grips anyways :P)

IMAG0021Medium.jpg

IMAG0022Medium.jpg

IMAG0024Medium.jpg

IMAG0023Medium.jpg

Wasn't brave enough to attempt anything other than monotone ATM, though I probably will when I get some wood grips for my AK, prat about with the plastic grips :lol:

Any tips/hints for when I do attempt several colours would be good! ^_^