zombie/kevlar/teflon/terminator/BB proof/CHEATING BARSTEWARDS!

Furey

i'd like to take the opportunity to break down this article on the news page as i think it says some very important (incorrect) things about airsoft. i am almost offended by the tone it sets. i say 'almost' as everyone has a right to a point of view (wether or not you should print it is another matter!).

Please, do not argue with us on this, gentlemen

i think i will, actualy!

you would cheat in two seconds flat if you know there is no chance of you getting caught.

No, thats a load of ######. i could cheat most of the time i got hit if i wanted to. but i chose not to.

How do we know this? We know this because we have also thought about it, thought it through to the logical conclusion.

So you have thought it through? so that means you have the definitive awnser? perhaps...... perhaps nearly every group of airsoft players in the world have thought this subject through to a conclusion too? perhaps they reached alternative conclusions? why is your conclusion definitive? i have thought it through myself. my conclusion?

airsoft players take their hits because of personal moral values, not fear of being caught.

The BigBadBear gives us an insight on the “FPS race”, whether or not it IS the solution to this spreading menace of zombie-ism

is it a spreading menace? not here it isnt. in the UK its the same as its ever been. hurting people more doesnt sound like a responsible solution to me.

i haven't read the magazine and dont intend to at this point. quite an abrasive way to start a thread perhaps, but ive had my buttons pushed.

anyone think i'm way off the mark?

you would cheat in two seconds flat if you know there is no chance of you getting caught.

No, thats a load of ######. i could cheat most of the time i got hit if i wanted to. but i chose not to.

Yeah I don't cheat and what is the point if you do cheat? What do you win? I really don't think fear of getting caught is what stops most poeple from cheating or at least people 18+.

I object to the tone on three counts:

1. It assumes we're all men. We're not. Sorry if this alarms you.

2. It assumes we would indeed all cheat if we thought we could get away with it. We won't, and I for one WILL argue.

3. It turns the word "zombie" into a derogatory term. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like all things zombie.

Perhaps I should read the whole article rather than take it out of context (if this snippet IS out of context that is).

I'll be honest in saying that I've occasionally had teflon moments but never actually in direct battle if that makes sense. For example playing at a site in Scotland just as a round started as I was adjusting my sling I thought I head a 'pap' of a BB hitting me but considering the other team were a good 2-3 minutes tactical bimble away and there was only one sniper (a player marshal) on their team I decided to play on, got taken out later in the round and between games talked to the site owner who said he hadn't seen me at all the previous game. Similarly there was a time when I actually saw a BB skim over a verge infront of me, arc up and plop onto my leg as I was prone, I decided to ignore this as the skiff took it more into the realms of weird ricochets than direct hits.

I've once been directly accused of cheating by a player who threw his toys out the pram in an urban game but as we were no more than 5-7m apart I would have certainly felt if I had been hit, a marshal was standing opposite me and later on I was told be someone who was standing behind me that the incoming rounds were hitting the ceiling behind me so the guy must have been aiming high.

If anything if cheating is going to occur I think its more than likely going to be a genuine mistake or doubtful hit (from ricochets etc) than someone thinking they can get away with it when the BBs are flying.

I find cheating much more prevalent when it comes to the use of pyro, funnily enough in urban more than woodland though that may be because in urban we (F&O) use hard cover rules to determine kill/no kill and people don't necessarily always remember that ducking behind doors within the 15ft kill radius.

I find that '' thought it through to the logical conclusion '' bit quite funny :)

It's such a subjective matter, effected by innumerable aspects of human psychology amongst many other trivial things, I sincerely doubt an airsoft journalist can argue his case to such a degree as to come to a logical conclusion.

Out of the many hits i have dished out on my 2 years of playing only twice have i had to refer somone for cheating.

You people at PA have just gone and made a huge fail.

Deal with your lack of intellegence and return to your humble cave to play hide the snake with yourself. I will not be reading your magazine ever and i think many others wont either.

'FireKnife'

EDIT: Just sent them a rather formal e-mail about my disgust, here is a copy of it:

(Just waiting for the reply).

Dear Sir,

I am making a complaint about your blatant lack of knowledge in regard to the story on 'zombie airsoft' in issue 9. I have to say that no player that i know at any game i have ever attended would ever consider ignoring a hit, they would, like i myself, own up to being hit out. Maybe where you play or with those whom you play it is a common problem but i can assure you that in two years of playing i have only had to twice refer someone for not taking a blatant hit in an airsoft event.

Furthermore your misappropriated use of the word 'zombie' as a term for those who play on without taking hits. It is called cheating, thats it plain and simple, cheating. I do not put this because of my interest in zombie horror but because it shows a lack of knowledge of the correct term to use.

Finally what has this to do with FPS figures, i can't understand how FPS has any link to cheating players, a cheating player will alsways cheat no matter what you are using against them so this is by my personal standards irrelevant.

Please in future check your facts and do not assume that players will happily ignore a hit whenever they feel like it.

Ryan 'FireKnife' Shiells.

P.S. 'Gentleman' is not the correct term to use when refering to a group, it is airsofters, we do have women that play this game and collect guns too, i know as i am very good friends with one.

I think it maybe was a case of trying to do some 'intelligible grandstanding', as is the case with most subjects related to such a specific field. Most people fiercely pursue airsoft as hobby to such extent that it takes up an undeniably large part of their life, any article written with such objectivity and certainty, without leaving room for a reader's opinion, is only ever going to ripped apart and laughed at.

I think it maybe was a case of trying to do some 'intelligible grandstanding', as is the case with most subjects related to such a specific field. Most people fiercely pursue airsoft as hobby to such extent that it takes up an undeniably large part of their life, any article written with such objectivity and certainty, without leaving room for a reader's opinion, is only ever going to ripped apart and laughed at.

If you tell someone to not argue with you they are going to for the most part.

Jeebus, I'm so worried that somebody might think I'm not taking hits it's very possible I've called, "Hit!" when struck my a bee, twig, or upon a BB falling out of webbing and me seeing it dropping and assuming I've been shot.

Equally I wear some quite bulky gear on occasions, like this weekend thermal longsleeve, feldblouse, Koehler Einsatzkampfhose, gortex, webbing, half an inch of mud. Mistakes happen, but accusing all players that they would cheat given the chance is somewhat offensive to the vast majority (I like to believe) who are honest.

A shame as up until now I've found Popular Airsoft to be a very good publication... however as this is the first article of theirs to cause offence, I'll just take it as a writers mistake, something he wanted to sound humorous, but didn't quite come off.

Yep! There have been times where I have been in cover and felt a BB hit my foot, now I could have thought "meh would have just been one bouncing around, probably not a proper shot" but if I thought that, that would make me a cheater, there could be someone who had flanked with a sniper rifle and took a skillfull shot and hit my foot. I always chose to take the hit if I'm not sure.

Probably why I spend more time at regen than I do playing. :D

you can mostly tell which ones are the cheaters and which are genuinely think it's a rebound.

A cheater will feel a "rebound" and shuffle their foot/hand/etc out of the way

A non-cheater will just stay where they were confident that the bb that hit them was a rebound

:P

who the hell wrote this article?

it's similar to my view on aesthetically raping guns for the sake of tactical gubbins to boost your in field performance, it's just a game, one with no real benefits to 'winning'. i sure as hell dont solely play airsoft to 'win', i play it to have fun. at the end of the day what have you achieved by cheating?

I bloody hate cheating same as most softers I guess, the way I see it is if you win a game and have cheated you still Lose.

Bull *suitcase* why would you worry about getting caught what are people going to do?

some very well written comments, i'm glad theres plenty of right thinking players out there :)

I object to the tone on three counts:

It turns the word "zombie" into a derogatory term. Anyone who knows me knows how much I like all things zombie.

good point on the zombie thing. i'd not like to see it enter general use as a term for cheaters, as there are plenty of well used nicknames already. zombie already refers to something in airsoft, something quite cool! and theres no way to stop the spread of propper zombie-ism exept to nuke the area from orbit. its the only way to be sure.

I would also like to read the article to see if it is better than its introduction, but i am put off buying practical airsoft to be frank. it apperars on face value to be as noobish as a certain other publication which i used to buy.

The domain is registered to the Philippines...

That it is. To which context I sympathize because there are a few gamesites here that become dens of cheaters (zombies as they're locally termed, after being booted out from better, more regulated sites) and is where they all congregate and play in "open" fps criteria despite already having a legal ceiling of 550fps on .20g bbs. It could be that the author of the article often played in one of those sites or at least has played against one particular local team most notorious for their almost professional methods of cheating. So yeah, bad research on the part of the author in generalizing that all airsofters are douche bags and chavs.

Archived