Vietnam Weapon Choices.

FireKnife

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Thompson is probably your best bet if you don't want one of the standard issue weapons. Other than an AK you'd stuggle to find anything else in your budget that fits unless you opt for something that was very rare.

Besides thompsons are very good guns, even the ACM ones are excellent although may be running a tad hot out of the box.

I agree with lardassmonkey there, and AK or Thompson is your best bet. The cheap chinese ak's (like the plastic cymas) function very well as skirmish guns, but arn't very solid or good looking (depending on nmake of course), due to being plastic, so I suggest one of the metal versions, which arn't much more.

The ACM Thompson is very nice from what i've seen and heard. I got a chance to play with one at war and peace, and it was pretty solid and generally a nice piece.

I forgot to mention the SKS-1945, but the only airsoft version is a springer sadly.

Good luck,

-Matt

I looked through a couple of Vietnam books and didn't come across any info on Thompson's or Fal's. Most data aims towards Armalites, captured AK's used by special forces, M1 carbine, Stoner weapons system and M14 as individual weapons. I must admit I prefer an M16A1 Vietnam than the numerous M4's with loads of gadgets attached.

I've seen exactly one pic of a special forces guy with a Thompson. So albeit very rare, it wouldn't look wrong.

Aussie SAS used some form of FAL, but can't remember its specific name.

What would be nice and very unique would be the M16A1 with the very small tubular handguard and the tubular grenade launcher underneath (XM...., precessor of the M203)

/edit: this

Eh ive seen about 10. Usually goes with a chicom chest rig

Aussies used the semi auto and select fire versions of the FAL(l_a_). Many were chopped down so that they were more agile in the jungle.

XM148 would be a badass grenade launcher to have.

Actually i am now thinking of getting a chicom chest rig, but staying with the Tigerstripe to carry the mags for my AK or Thompson, might try that approach since i am getting it all from flecktarn.co.uk. As for the Aussies, they are believed to have been carrying both FAL's and SLR's with Sten's (Mk.5-6 i think) for more close quarter operations.

Please people, as i have stated, no Armalites, i despise them and that is that.

Now if there was an airsoft PPSH41 or similar for a decent price then i would have taken that but as there isn't it seems like it will be AK or Thompson.

EDIT: Well i may choose to take a HK33 in for this one instead after seeing that picture, but it would have to be either the JLS or the BE so i am not too sure.

'FireKnife'

Why not go for the VNMC Seaweave Tiger instead? Still won't work for a US Army SF Vietnam Impression, but way closer to the real deal than the ugly Tiger flecktarn sells?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vietnam-Tiger-Stripe-B...%3A1%7C294%3A50

As for the Weapon, an M2 Carbine might be a pretty solid choice...

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...-RG-M2C_srch_m2

Why not go for the VNMC Seaweave Tiger instead? Still won't work for a US Army SF Vietnam Impression, but way closer to the real deal than the ugly Tiger flecktarn sells?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vietnam-Tiger-Stripe-B...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Yeah, I got those from Ebaybanned. Fabric is not top notch, but hell it holds up fine so far.

http://zmarre.nimio.info/airsoft/vietnam2.jpg (yeah, lots of things don't match, but it's a very cheap and quick impression)

/edit: hmmm, server seems to be down...

no one know the answer to my M1919 question?

The M1919 was standard issue for the ARVN and was still used on US armoured vehicles during the war. Given the problems with the M60 its perfectly possible that the infantry would try to get their hands on M1919s if the opportunity arose. I've seen pictures of them in use by SF for sure.

As for Stingers- I don't know if they were used in Vietnam but I doubt it. They were a WW2 field modification of which only a few (6 I believe) were made to provide a bipod fired MG with greater firepower than the BAR. The introduction of the M1919A6 solved this problem effectively and AFAIK no more were produced for military use.

According to a book by Vietnam vet Leroy Thompson, the standard 3 man SEAL team ambush set-up was 1x M16 (M203 optional); 1x M63a1 Stoner; 1x Ithaca Model 37 'trench' shotgun. Secondary weapon might be a stainless steel S&W Mark22 Model 0 silenced automatic, in 9mm.

You could go the extra mile with your impression and tote an M72 law from Redwolf, when your budget allows :)

years back i was into nam loadouts, so i'll offer my thoughts on this.

with 70-90 quid to spend on a gun, you are not gonna find a skirmishable gun that fits the bill (accuratly) that's not an AK, AR or M14... simple as...

thompsons were made popular in vietnam videogames, for the simple reason to add some variety in the otherwise very limited offering of weapons used by americans that's somewhat recognisable by the general majority of gamers... your avarage gamer knows a Tommy from WW2 games, they don't know the the more obscure smg etc, used by special forces.

The reason why you don't find many pictures of tommy is nam, because it's weighs like a dead dog (have any of you picked up a real tommy?), it handles like a dead dog (ergonomics) and is a pita to clean/ and from what i was told by familymember, quite fickle when it comes to dirt... not something you want in a jungle area...

there are a few other guns made that would fit the bill, but none of wich are near the 90£ mark (i.e. not acm stuff), and most of wich are spring or gas driven wich mean they are either not skirmishable or cost even more money to run, i.e. not for those on a budget...

not counting the aep scorpion, as i doubt that was ever used by VC, consider the puny round and the theatre of operations

However, all of the above is based on accurate impressions... since you are going with modern tiger stripe, not nam stripes, it's doesnt really matter, as nothing you do from there on will ever be accurate, so just go with what flows your boat and call it your nam "movie" loadout... you can get away with just about everthing then :P

• 1 month later...

Hello,

From what I’ve read the MP5 was sent over to Nam in tiny numbers for evaluation, it had the long slim hand guards rather than the current more triangular shaped one we see today. It was mainly used by the CIA, and I can find the link to where I found this I’ll post it. More common was a Uzi or Mac10.

Have you thought about a M134?

Archived