Vietnam Weapon Choices.

FireKnife

Now, after a year of playing KCT with my (now gone) P90 i am planning on going for something a bit different.

So while i have just finished MGS3 in my quickest time, wearing tigerstripe at every opportunity and after a quick look up of forces in Vietnam (in particular those that wore Tigerstripe) i am interested in trying an AVRN, Australian or New Zealand loadout.

Now after i have made the decision to stick with Tigerstripe i am now after a Vietnam era gun but i want something a little different. I have looked at the prospect of an AK or a Thompson but i want something a little other than that.

Please Note: If you say anything that includes refering me to an Armalite, i will, without hesitation, ignore your post as they are the worst assault rifle ever made. Please remember this before you post.

Thanks now for anyone who can contribute (particularly if you can offer written or photo reference of the weapon in Vietnam). I have found MP5 and even MP40 reference but i am still looking. And yes i have considered taking in two 1911's and bitchslapping those around me while i walk around in a firefight (one hundred virtual dollars to who can name the reference).

'FireKnife'

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like an easy question. I know the Aussies used FALs in 'nam. Why not get a FAL?

The nice thing about doing that is that you can use a FAL with lots of impressions, from SE Asia to Africa to South America.

PS: Worst assault rifle ever? That's a bit of a bold statement.

stoner m63a1 would be my choice buy a mile, if only someone actually made a decent airsoft version of it. the airsoft surgeon 63 is a modernised piece of cack and the conversion kit bolts on to an m4!!!why!! so thats cack as well.

if you can find one then an ithacha 37 pump action would be cool. only trouble is they are single barrel springers , but they do fire multiple bb at a time.

how about the hudson m3 grease gun, gas blow back fun. im told mags are a bit hard to find these days and its plastic body is a strange grey colour and flexy but ace fun.

another option is a harrington richards t223 which is basically the american import version of the 5.56 h&k g3.

could just go with a good old m14 or even m21, easily do able from most manufacturers.

It is a forum so it is my opinion, which has always been that the M16 is the worst ever and after the countless M4's with bits of pointless fluff stuck on them it is even worse. But i don't mind if others like it, someone's gotta like something and someone's gotta hate it, way of the world.

As for the FAL, that is a bit out of my price range and personal style. I would prefer something AK or Thompson size but not one of them. Sorry to those that offered M14 but it just is not my size preference.

Oh and yes demon.b it is We Were Soldiers, but who is what i am after lol, especially if someone post his Armalite reference.

'FireKnife'

Not all of them are available as airsoft versions.

M3 Grease gun, M1 Carbine, M870 or other shotguns, Walther MPK/MPL, Beretta M12, M45 Swedish-K.

There are several more but they would me more suitable for VC or NVA or too rare, the MP40 is too rare (in US hands) to be mentioned imo, not that all of the above were very common.

Well the advantage of AVRN is they often took what they could, often older weapons, to supply themselves so a MP40 or maybe at a stretch Kar98k in place of other bolties may work (trouble is the Kar98k is too expensive in mag loaded form).

Too bad no-one makes a good Grease Gun or PPSH41 or PPS43, would have been perfect for an early war loadout.

i am not saying i wont consider the AK or even the Thompson i just want to see what other options are out there mainly. I only plan to pistols only once or twice in woodland for a laugh mainly not as a permanent thing with my trusty 1911.

'FireKnife'

As above, plus I would include the very rare likelihood of encountering leftover MAS-49s, MAT-49s and Stens from the French era. Maybe the Owen SMG for the Aussies? Not sure you can really use the H&K MP5, or any H&K, as AFAIK their use was experimental at the time.

Sadly. none of these weapons have been made for airsofters, from what I can see, so you may have to lower your sights a little. How about an M79 thump gun?

Well the G3 (or some copy) and the MP5 (experimented with by some US and other countries) did make one or two appearences. Along with the Uzi as well.

I think i may have to aim to stick within the usual circles then but if anyone can offer something else then just put it here.

'FireKnife'

Well the G3 (or some copy) and the MP5 (experimented with by some US and other countries) did make one or two appearences. Along with the Uzi as well.

I think i may have to aim to stick within the usual circles then but if anyone can offer something else then just put it here.

'FireKnife'

Well, with Tigerstripe, you could just go for a SF loadout and use a Mac-10? That'd be pretty fun.

Decimus.

Not sure if the Yanks got their hands on all of these, or if there are airsoft versions available for all of them, but heres a few:

K-50m - basically a vietcong PPsh

SVD Dragunov

M1/M2 Carbine

L2A3 Sterling

Silenced Sten (Mk.6 I belive)

VZ.58 (Czech assault rifle, similair to AK in appearence)

Mp.44 - Soviets shipped some out, rechambered for 7.62x39

Mosin Nagant

F1 (Australian sterling derivative, magazine on top)

M1 garand

Leftover Arisaka rifles and other Japanese weapons from WW2

Got a few of them from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Vietnam_War

But I don't think the list is complete.

Also, I think this deserves a mention:

l1a2xm148uf5wo9.jpg

Cut down Aussie SLR with bombchucker.

-Matt

Surprised that no one has mentioned the venerable M1A1 Thompson SMG. Not sure if Aussies, Kiwis or ARVN would have used this weapon, but it certainly fits the bill as something departing from the norm.

Plus, it is a pretty solid weapon (both airsoft and rs).

Surprised that no one has mentioned the venerable M1A1 Thompson SMG. Not sure if Aussies, Kiwis or ARVN would have used this weapon, but it certainly fits the bill as something departing from the norm.

Plus, it is a pretty solid weapon (both airsoft and rs).

Read the first post.

Then slap yourself.

The HK33 made an appearance in the hands of a few 'Advisors' in the early stages of the conflict.

If you want a reliable, SKIRMISHABLE weapon from the Vietnam era you're pretty limited.

Especially when you rule out M16, M14, and FAL. (3 of the 5 most widely used weapons)

Sadly, most other weapons used in Vietnam are either not available as an airsoft gun or are complete rubbish as far as actually USING them in a skirmish.

So you're pretty much stuck with something "normal", an expensive custom built gun, or a gun that is unskirmishable.

anyone know how much M1919s saw in the hands of infantry? i read that they saw a good bit of use towards the beginning of the war until they were largely phased out by the M60.

particularly interested to know if there was EVER recorded usage of a 'stinger' (1919 with a garand stock, carry handle and bipod) in 'nam.

PS: Worst assault rifle ever? That's a bit of a bold Understatement.

Fixed ;)

You could go shotgun, i use my Both elephant M500 for my grunt impression and its just about skirmishable as long as the *suitcase* dosent hit the fan too badly.

Other than that Type 56? To make it look unique actually have the bayonet on it :D Dought SF would carry them like that (would probably have a type 56-1 if they were going to use them) but nobody can deny the fun of flicking that bayonet out :)

Humm they M500 may be a good choice (though it was the M870 that saw service alongside the M37 i believe).

May try a loadout based on this:

vphazepic2bz5.jpg

AVRN Pointman from Vietcong: Purple Haze. But i may go for something other than the Thompson, just really want to wear Tigerstripe and do an old style kit (can't stand bolt on's and RIS, i even stripped them off my P90 and just used the inbuilt red-dot only).

I don't think anyone has mentioned the option of a Vz-61 or Skorpion. Might be good as it will fit my ambushing / close quarters style well.

'FireKnife'

To be honest with the lack of other options (as i have ruled out longer rifles and such) i may just stick to the Thompson, i just wonder if it is worth the money to get an ACM one or are they really bad?

Failing that an AK47 (won't have the money for a Type 56) will have to be the next best bet, too bad that the FAL's and SLR's cost too much for me otherwise i would have gone for one. Though if someone released a Sten it may be a possible option.

'FireKnife'

Archived