Desert Tactical Arms Build

dobey

How big is it? I doesn't look like it can be much bigger than in MP5, and it sure doesn't look like an M14 :rolleyes: . You have to remember this is based on a real steel so it's not his fault if you don't like the Bullpup design, but I agree with that it would look better with a bipod.

I guess I gave off the wrong impression, I really like the design, as well as Dobey's work. It's the mag that makes me think M14 (Admittedly, bad thing to base my statement on). The bullpup looks great, much better (In my opinion) than AUGs or F2000s.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of sniper rifles now are being made as bullpups to increase the barrel without increasing the overall length. The new Barrett Model 99 has an 81cm barrel on an overall 127cm gun because it is bullpup, also it has been proven through scientific analysis that bolt-action guns are more accurate than there semi-auto counterparts so a lot of modern sniper rifles are also being made to bolt-action specifications. For comparison to the Barrett Model 99 the famous Barrett M82A1 has a barrel length of 73.7cm and an overall length of 145cm. The Model 99 is about 64% barrel versus the M82A1 which is only about 51% barrel, so you get a more accuracy in a compact package. But I agree, it does look sort of nasty on sniper rifles. Much more belonging on plain old assault weapons. :)

A lot of sniper rifles now are being made as bullpups to increase the barrel without increasing the overall length. The new Barrett Model 99 has an 81cm barrel on an overall 127cm gun because it is bullpup, also it has been proven through scientific analysis that bolt-action guns are more accurate than there semi-auto counterparts so a lot of modern sniper rifles are also being made to bolt-action specifications. For comparison to the Barrett Model 99 the famous Barrett M82A1 has a barrel length of 73.7cm and an overall length of 145cm. The Model 99 is about 64% barrel versus the M82A1 which is only about 51% barrel, so you get a more accuracy in a compact package. But I agree, it does look sort of nasty on sniper rifles. Much more belonging on plain old assault weapons. :)

Guess I still didn't explain it. The SRS looks cool, I wish it were semi/full auto instead of bolt action. However, no commercially available SRSs exist, so I could just make it myself to my specifications... (Then again, that's alot of work)

The gun is getting a Harris bipod and a different grip once it gets in the owners hands.

I almost forgot the Thread adapter to let the Tanaka use 14mm CCW accessories.

I pulled out the end plug and just copied it in aluminum, adding the threads:

DTA-thread-adapter-001.jpg

DTA-thread-adapter-002.jpg

It is baking in the oven atm, soon as the powder coat is cooled it will be ready to ship:

DTA-thread-adapter-003.jpg

Nice work, I gun with the range of an M16 but the size of an MP5SD5

Considering that Dobey said that this will hopefully reach 600fps in summer, I think you'll find that it will easily outrange an M16.

Stunning build, I have to say that I think it looks even better than some of your previous work, the lines are really nice, and great quality as always.

For the people wondering about the power, the propane is nice and warm now that its summer, and in the 80 degree shop this is what its firing.

The BB's used are G&G 0.25's:

DTA-chrono-002.jpg

FPS on the madbull chrono (yes this punches holes in the door in the background with ease):

DTA-chrono-001.jpg

The Tanaka bolt was very resistant to modification. First the original bolt handle cocks the firing pin when it was rotated and the rest of the bolt does not rotate. Second the front of the bolt where the new handle would need to be attached is right where the nozzle and gas transfer happens from the mag, so there was no room to add the new handle. In every build concessions need to be made to stay on budget, and this was one of them.

Not while he has comissioned work to do!

Although his last project should go by fast since he has already made the rifle once, then he can get that bolt action monster finished. Which I will admit, looks like a pretty insane piece :P

DTR turned out nice, I was wondering what would be done to the bolt handle. Still looks good while kept simple, could use a big badger ordnance style bolt knob now to finish it off. :D

• 2 months later...

Hey I dont mean to revive this for useless-ness, But Im the owner of the gun and was wondering if anyone wanted to see what it looks likes now? It has changed a bit, Grip, Bipod, Cheek Rest area, thats it I think. But yeah if ya'll want some pics I can get some tomorow night after I give it a new Paintjob.

New pictures would be great. Glad to hear that you have your rifle, still waiting for mine <_< Although I will say I'd rather wait and have a piece of fine craftsmanship instead of have a rifle built fast and sloppy.

Lol Towards the middle and the end I noticed a break down of comms with me and Dobey, and then felt like he kinda rushed my gun out the door to get started on yours. While the craftsmenship was woderful I felt certain parts could have been looked over once more.

• 4 weeks later...

Dobey one thing thats boggleing the heck outta my mind is why you changed the design? I notice in the pictures from the first page and from the final product in front of me that you completley changed the design of the rear end and parts of the upper reciever. Id much rather you stuck with the originial design especialy with the area that hooks onto the lower reciever. Im having many problems with that area now.

I dont know why I havent noticed it earlier but Im just wondering what happened.

Dobey one thing thats boggleing the heck outta my mind is why you changed the design? I notice in the pictures from the first page and from the final product in front of me that you completley changed the design of the rear end and parts of the upper reciever. Id much rather you stuck with the originial design especialy with the area that hooks onto the lower reciever. Im having many problems with that area now.

I dont know why I havent noticed it earlier but Im just wondering what happened.

I think he said it on this page. It was to stay economical. The bolt handle cocks the firing pin and the front of the bolt routes the gas. Instead of needing to machine a complex part he just kept the old tanaka design, and modded the body.

Archived