Iranian Embassy Siege/80s SAS Loadout

iranian_1.jpg

iran2.jpg

The Iranian Embassy Siege, arguably one of the first and foremost counter terrorist assaults of all time. Their kit was very interesting back in the day. I've always been interested in doing a SAS CRW loadout for night games. And with a few approaching games possibly at night, it's come up again.

What I've been able to gather about their kit:

-S10 Respirators

-Assault Coveralls w/ hood

-"SAS" Vest (Like this one.)

-Original Adidas GSG9s

-Probably issue belts, holsters for Browning HPs, and MP5 drop leg pouches.

-Browning Hi-Powers (replaced by a 1911 for all intents and purposes, as the Tanaka HP sucks)

-MP5A2s with silly huge flashlights on top

I'd like to do an 80s Marksman kit. Probably the same as above minus the respirator and I'd like to use an old-school bolt-action rifle if possible. So may the 80's SAS experts come out of the wood work. If I could manage to get perhaps a TSD M700, wood furniture, I'd love to get an awesome Starlight scope for it. That would be sick.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow.. that repro vest is interesting, but mine has a lot more pockets on the back..

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/Kit/Picture758.jpg[/img

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/Kit/Picture770.jpg[/img

There are quite a few different design layout of the vests though.

Where'd you get yours? I'm trying to source an original one if possible.

-MP5A2s with silly huge flashlights on top

Nothing silly or huge about it mate, don't forget this was the 1980's maglight was state of the art back then.

-Original Adidas GSG9s

Could be wrong but I think they wore regular assault boots, GSG9's being developed alot later on.

S6 respirator not S10 and they wore NBC suits back then (not the nomex jobbies) too.

the boots were standard issue assault boots (before the time of magnums)

The MP5s had the old slim foregrip too

PWL (Paul Evers) drop holsters for the browning

The gloves were made in Worcester UK and are leather and suede (i'll get some pics of mine)

The body armour was the old Bristol body armour

Surely 'Boots Combat High'

'Assault boots' (improved BCH with speed lacing) were just being issued when I joined in 1998.

In 82 'Boots Combat High' were just coming in to replace the DMS boot.

Private purchase 'Danner' boots were very much in vogue with the SAS in the late 80s, not sure about 82.

To be fair Gadge the specific NSN numbers and models escape me but they were lighter weight alternatives to the DMS boot that was commonly known as the "assault boot " , specifics beyond that are hazy as most of the guys from back then either cannot remember or did not care for such details and i'm not that old ( I was only 5 in '82)

There was a lighter version of the BCH called the patrol boot or northern Ireland boot IIRC.

I think i had a par sold as that once and they were awesome.

The only reason I query the use of the word 'assault boot' is that someone trying to put this loadout together is highly likely to find the modern issue 'assault boot' instead if they just search for that term.

I was seven or eight in 82, I remember my dad getting me to watch the embassy entry on the news and shortly afterwards getting a 'black kit' sas action man figure for my birthday ;)

Surely 'Boots Combat High'

'Assault boots' (improved BCH with speed lacing) were just being issued when I joined in 1998.

In 82 'Boots Combat High' were just coming in to replace the DMS boot.

Private purchase 'Danner' boots were very much in vogue with the SAS in the late 80s, not sure about 82.

Thanks Gadge. So what should I get? Boots Combat High sounds right for the era...

A few years ago before i got into ww2 airsoft. I used to play in a pretty accurate black kit. Even down to the SF10 respirator and flash lense's, nomex assault suit. Go to www.sas22.com they have a forum with a for sale area. I've used it many times to find pieces.

Archived