Airsoft Baker Rifle Project finished

FMJ.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's from the wrong era for Zulu, but I've never watched Sharpe :P

I was thinking primarily of the ranked (or tiered) firing tactics seen in Zulu.

They would have done the same with muzzle loaders wouldn't they? :unsure:

I've often wondered about doing something like this, but with a simplified bolt action mechanism, pulling the piston back from the rear.

The difficulty would be making a telescoping pull-rod that was thin enough to fit through a (modified) spring guide, but I reckon it'd be doable.

Never watched Sharpe? Why not, are your eyes broken?? <_<

Get the DVDs.

The tactics were similar, if somewhat less advanced.

Would there be a way to link the piston to the hammer/striker on the outside, so that you have to cock the rifle in a realistic manner by pulling the action back before every shot? That would be a good way of doing it, I'd say. And it would look even more realistic.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never watched Sharpe? Why not, are your eyes broken?? <_<

Would there be a way to link the piston to the hammer/striker on the outside, so that you have to cock the rifle in a realistic manner by pulling the action back before every shot? That would be a good way of doing it, I'd say. And it would look even more realistic.

My eyes are fine thanks :P , I have very little time to watch TV...people keep sending me loads of stuff to fix/copy/make/upgrade/etc ;)

If you linked the flint carrier/arm (proper term?) to a quadrant gear of the appropriate size, inside, it would work I think.

It would probably take quite a hefty pull on the arm but then they do have quite a strong spring on them don't they?

So would a faster route for this construction to be to start with an ICS upper-gearbox instead of sawing a standard V2 in half?

That would be a bit easier, if you had one just lying around, or an ARMY L85 top-half, or anything that uses a split box for that matter.

I'm guessing most Airsoft 'tinkerers' (and above) have at least one 'dead' VerII box lying around already though :rolleyes:

I'm guessing most Airsoft 'tinkerers' (and above) have at least one 'dead' VerII box lying around already though :rolleyes:

Thats exactly why I used a V2 as I just had one laying around spare and the bottom half of it was damaged so it was perfect for the job.

Flat/blade headed screws, good idea! Thats something I had thought about during the projet but since forgot about. That will be an easy fix.

As for 8mm bb's yes that would be great too, I am sure it could be done. The only reason I went 6mm is because I have never owned an 8mm gun so had no ammo and no compatable hop-up. Originally I made a custom hop-up unit for the rifle but soon realised it was far easier to use an existing one.

For anybody who was wondering, yes I can manage three aimed shots a minute :D.

If anybody trys this type of gearbox adpation make sure your trigger parts are fairly long from there pivit points so that you get a good amount of leverage or your trigger pull will be very stiff. As it is the trigger is very light and a very short pull on my Baker.

This is probably the most impressive airsoft build that I have ever seen. Why not offer it to someone like Shoot n Scoot to see if they would be interested in marketing it comercially? I'd sure as hell buy one!

This is probably the most impressive airsoft build that I have ever seen. Why not offer it to someone like Shoot n Scoot to see if they would be interested in marketing it comercially? I'd sure as hell buy one!

You just know that if it went into 'mass' production, some pratt would add a red dot or laser to it, or want it in two tone.......... :waggle:

You just know that if it went into 'mass' production, some pratt would add a red dot or laser to it, or want it in two tone.......... :waggle:

Well i'd personally bayonet anyone attaching any sort of RIS device on one, as for two toning its pre-1870 therefore not a requirement ;)

Also have any of you people going on about 8mm bbs actually looked into the reasons why nobody uses them?

Well i'd personally bayonet anyone attaching any sort of RIS device on one, as for two toning its pre-1870 therefore not a requirement ;)

Ooh, good point. :)

Also have any of you people going on about 8mm bbs actually looked into the reasons why nobody uses them?

Don't sell a lot to players with 6mm aegs, but the guys with 8mm gas shotties seem to like them...........

Mind you, FMJ might have difficulty getting a long enough 8mm bore barrel.

...Mind you, FMJ might have difficulty getting a long enough 8mm bore barrel.

Take two 8mm barrels, machine a shoulder on one and a matching bore on the other and press them together ;) .

I've done it with 6mm barrels once, would be easier with 8mm.

You'd need a bigger cylinder though (either longer or larger diameter, or both) to give enough air volume/pressure.

Archived