The Hurt Locker

Fuser

A trailer was just released for this movie on Apple

The Hurt Locker

It's about the Army's Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit, it has an impressive cast, and apparently it's a great film (it's already won the Grand Prize at the 2008 Venice Film Festival).

The trailer is definitely worth a watch—I'm excited about this one. So far films about Iraq/Afghanistan have been disappointing (with the exception of Stop-Loss, IMO), and this looks like it might break the trend.

It is a different trailer but I still think it looks like a good movie. If you think of it as an entertaining film rather than a documentary which is exactly what it's meant to be. People want to be entertained. I'm sure there are plenty of real bomb defusings that've been recorded if you want to watch something real.

Looks decent actually. And frankly I dig Bigelow as a director. I loved Strange Days. This has been in "post production hell" for way more than a year or two now.

Good to see it get a release date. A former co-worker of mine was doing some post on the movie, wire rig removal, said the cut he had seen internally was pretty intense. It's obviously NOT a reflection of real world EOD, but then again it's a movie.

I couldnt get the apple one to work, I guess you need an ipod or something to view it? (hence my comment earlier).

Nope just Internet Explorer 4 or higher and some knowledge of how to operate a computer mouse :P

It definitely looked interesting, not too sure on all those slow motion capture shots though, fairly pointless. I hope they're only for the trailer.

I'm actually watching the movie right now, and it seems like it has a lot of good attention to little things, but one thing I did notice is

when one of the soldiers is looking through his Aimpoint, the first person view of it shows it as being magnified, when the Aimpoint does not have any.

Other then that, it's pretty good so far.

Downloaded it, watched it, deleted it.

Basically, a "crack" EOD team (if by team they mean three guys) has their fearless leader killed. Replacement leader is a brash, know-it-all, war-addict who loves to walk into danger and put the lives of his teammates at risk. Tension develops between new leader and old lead subordinate, which is eventually overcome by shared moments of danger, fist pumping and a good fist fight.

The team then finds themselves in a variety of unusual situations in which they must take insane risks in order to disarm bombs that could / should have been retroactively detonated.

At one point, the three man team, after disposing of some hazardous ordinance, runs into a group of PMCs. Alone in the desert and apparently without radios for which to call for support the entire group is almost killed by a sniper.

The entire movie requires a colossal effort to suspend disbelief in the face of incredibly bad action that is supposed to be representative of the military. The team goes from reckless stunt to reckless stunt finally culminating in the "gut" decision of their leader to run off into the darkness of the green zone (Hmm, I didn't know the green zone had open access to nearby ghettos) and follow the trail of some insurgent bombers.

That being said, the movie isn't terrible. It is probably only half bad. It does begin with a quote from Chris Hedges (which made my day). Basically, the point of the film is that war is addicting and some people can't get enough of it. The lure of death and violence is a strong drug. The end of the film makes this clear in an interesting scene in which the lead actor is faced with having to make decisions in a well-stocked supermarket. The whole war = drug thing was largely under explored until the very, very end of the film. For me, this section was the most interesting. While viewing I almost wished they would stay with the "hero" as he copes in trying to readjust to "normality." Alas, of course, the director does not.

For those like TCB, who love war, guns and everything violent, there is a "cool" scene involving a Barrett .50.

Gigueand's final score:

:zorro:

Three out of five Guinness-style Slaintes.

Didn't realize there were ways of downloading this—I'll watch it tomorrow afternoon.

there are ways of downloading everything, The Badger has already seen the x-men origins: wolverine movie... albeit with virtually no CGI

back on topic, looks similar to that movie a while back, 'The Kingdom' as in guys running around in ridiculous situations killing evil terrorists who have nothing better to do that blow up babies and orphans

Its pure garbage and an insult to EOD techs everywhere.

Looks like every single day I've spent in the office in the exciting World of Counter-IED....... Well at least when I'm ###### and re-telling my adventures in the bar. Actually, the "at least I'll die comfortable" line is a pretty good reflection of what it is like!

• 3 weeks later...

Solid entertainment and somewhat relavent, if not over dramatic, and kinda sad on the human side of things.....I do like Jeremy Renner in the role....

There are a lot more ###### movie on the whole Iraq deal, this isn't one of them...

Looks like the usual Hollywood Stuff to me, entertaining but not that accurate. Recently read a book by a British EOD Officer which was far more real, see if I can find it and add the name of it later.

back on topic, looks similar to that movie a while back, 'The Kingdom' as in guys running around in ridiculous situations killing evil terrorists who have nothing better to do that blow up babies and orphans

I was half disappointed that it isn't like that here in Kingdom. Would mean danger pay. :D

I'd have to say it isn't quite like The Kingdom, the story for this is more like the "baddie of the day" story with some character development....not really a "central thread" in the movie(unless you count the whole Iraq war deal as one).

I must admit I liked the Hurt Locker. I didn't watch it expecting a documentry style film that showed the lives of a bomb disposal team, I watched it expecting to take my brain out for an explosive, action-packed war film set in Iraq. I kinda got what I wanted.

Looks like the usual Hollywood Stuff to me, entertaining but not that accurate. Recently read a book by a British EOD Officer which was far more real, see if I can find it and add the name of it later.

The Chris Hunter Book about TELIC 6? Even more fictional than this film!

Archived