Euro Elections are forthcoming

Chimpy

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no im an engineering graduate.

and oddly after i finished uni and went back to machine shops EVERY drawing as in imperial. not one was metric.

so it was slide rule time when doing machine settings and programs. not an issue as i was taught them but a your lad on an aprenticeship was screwed as he idnt even know what an inch was. (leading to lots of ribbing and things like just slap your cock on it and thats an inch, we got 9 of em)

if people would prefer to use metric OR imperial thats there choice. but the eu says we shouldnt ever use them which is a slap in the chops tbh for being british. like i say im used to imperial and i find it easier to work things out. my butchers looks at you funny if you ask for grams of stuff.

but havea look at house sales they are all done in imperial with metric addition and it smuch easier to work out the sizes in your head (or it is for me) .

why shouldent we focus on the main religion of the UK? muslim countries do, other christian states do. as long as they dont prevent the openness of religion and belife which they arnt proposing.

and i dont trust any single newspaper, i read a mix of them as they are all biased in favour one way or another. like the daily hate mail is blantantly a scare mongers paper. the guardian in in the hip pocket of new labour most of the time just cranking out the party line but of late has split off.

i generaly read the times, telegraph occasionaly the idependant if the headlines grab me, my local rag the MEN and the south manchester reporter,

if its going free ill read the mirror, mail, and guardian. but i like to be able to compare and contrast articles between them to reduce the hyperbole.

like the shiara law issues. as soon as its proposed that one group is permited to have what is seen as its own laws, even if they are seen as fitting in with UK law very well, is a sign of one ethnic group getting the upper hand.

and as to PC gone mad with Xmas issues

there were calls inmanchester for the GIANT inflatable santa clause which sat on top of the town hall to be removed as it offended the minotrty groups.

ill admit that most of it comes from chrisitan groups who are PCmad but any such precident is a bad one.

some humour for the thread

http://www.mailwatch.co.uk/ <---- what they realy mean read it its a giggle.

this is away from the topic totaly but

also was i the only one who was bemused by the apearance of a token black man in the recent robin hood series? the chances of a black person being there at that period was minimal at best. its not a race issue its a realisme issue for me. sharpe never had token black/minority men tossed in unless there was a high chance of them being there (like india).

i think that to maintain historical accuracy is better than having a token thrown in for PCness. i dont expect a film set in african countries to have undreds of white people in the shots like wise hispanic countries i expect to see hispanics.

what next a docudrama about the slave trade with a black slave ship owner?

likewise i am looking forward to the kicking the labour are getting!

if people would prefer to use metric OR imperial thats there choice. but the eu says we shouldnt ever use them which is a slap in the chops tbh for being british. like i say im used to imperial and i find it easier to work things out. my butchers looks at you funny if you ask for grams of stuff.

but havea look at house sales they are all done in imperial with metric addition and it smuch easier to work out the sizes in your head (or it is for me) .

To standardise on metric is sensible and if your only complaint is that you feel insulted by it and have trouble visualising sizes in metric then you really need to get out more. ;)

Much of the future is about how we interact with other people from a diverse number of cultures and countries. By sticking in the past and using an outdated standard it harms Britain as a viable partner for these interactions.

why shouldent we focus on the main religion of the UK? muslim countries do, other christian states do. as long as they dont prevent the openness of religion and belife which they arnt proposing.

Our country and government are largely secular and no religion should have prominence.

like the shiara law issues. as soon as its proposed that one group is permited to have what is seen as its own laws, even if they are seen as fitting in with UK law very well, is a sign of one ethnic group getting the upper hand.

Not really as it's essentially something that already happens with arbitration. Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims and any other religious or non-religious body that fancies it can solve a range of civil disputes through external tribunals as long as both parties to the dispute agree to the arbitration. As such it would be discriminatory to not allow Muslims to use Sharia to solve their civil disputes considering we allow Christians and Jews to do similar. I'm personally of the opinion that this is dangerous from the point of view of coercion of vulnerable members of that demographic to take part in the arbitration system but that applies equally to the other religions as well. With that point it raises the question of whether allowing arbitration by religious organisations is a good idea at all.

The point is that you don't need to read a range of newspapers you just need to fact check what's being talked about. For example Rowan Williams quote from a speech where he endorsed Sharia was taken completely out of context. If you went and read the original he was clearly not saying what a large chunk of the press were reporting.

there were calls inmanchester for the GIANT inflatable santa clause which sat on top of the town hall to be removed as it offended the minotrty groups.

ill admit that most of it comes from chrisitan groups who are PCmad but any such precident is a bad one.

Link?

what next a docudrama about the slave trade with a black slave ship owner?

That's a lot more possible than you think. Free black people in the southern US kept black slaves for example and quite a large number of the slavers in Africa were from the tribes that lived there who captured rivals to sell into the slave trade (into the Middle East, other parts of Africa and to 'the West').

Also Black people have been living in small numbers in Britain since the 12th century so it's not that implausible for there to be a black character in Robin Hood. See:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empir...ritons_01.shtml

I'm as patriotic as the next bloke but for the life of me I can't see why we are arguing about adopting the metric system or the bloody Euro.

The metric system has been in use for over 40 years in the UK so whining that "I don't understand it" is cobblers.

It's more sensible than the arbitrary imperial systems that preceded it and, in an age of computers, it's ridiculous to suggest it's easier to type fractions into a CAD/CAM system.

As for the Euro, I bet the only people whining that it'd reduce our national identity are the sort of people who still holiday in Skegness except every 5 years when they splash-out on a trip "abroad" - up to Scotland.

Here's a thought: Why not allow countries to print Euro's with their own national designs on one side?

I should say, I do have ONE reservation about the Euro.

I am deeply concerned that every retailer in the country (and oil companies in particular) would use the change-over as an excuse to raise prices.

I'd suggest that some kind of ombudsman is set up to oversee the change-over and investigate reports of price-rises after the change-over to the Euro.

I know that's not an issue with the Euro itself. It's just that we live in a country full of price-gouging tossers.

Why not go the whole hog and campaign for shillings sixpences and thruppences to be reintroduced too - after all they only went when decimilisation of the currency came in, and that was at precisely the same time as we switched from teaching imperial to metric measures in school (I'm 40 years old and was one of the last sets of school kids to be actively taught both systems of measurements)

bit rich to be railing against 38 year old metric measurements while defending a 'good old' british pound thats not actually more than 38 years old itself..

I should say, I do have ONE reservation about the Euro.

I am deeply concerned that every retailer in the country (and oil companies in particular) would use the change-over as an excuse to raise prices.

I'd suggest that some kind of ombudsman is set up to oversee the change-over and investigate reports of price-rises after the change-over to the Euro.

I know that's not an issue with the Euro itself. It's just that we live in a country full of price-gouging tossers.

That's what happened in Spain when they adopted the Euro. Bad price gouging.

Though I don't think you guys will be adopting it anytime soon, at least as long as the pound is above the euro.

Isn't there some legal limit for something which is in foot pounds, 382fps or something?

1 foot pound, it being 382 FPS with a .20 gram BB ..or 116.4336 meters per second with a 125th of an ounce BB :P

...or 254 cubits per second with a 120th of a copper debben BB for the real diehard traditionalists

We do?

In a typical bit of real-world logic, I thought we use fps and joules.

And in response :P

The Joule is a unit of energy NOT momentum (the ft.lb being this).

The point that I was trying to make is that 2 key measures in airsoft still are either often quoted or rely upon Imperial units of measurement. In the real-world that is, of course :P

The Joule is a unit of energy NOT momentum (the ft.lb being this).

The point that I was trying to make is that 2 key measures in airsoft still are either often quoted or rely upon Imperial units of measurement. In the real-world that is, of course :P

But they're not are they?

When was the last time anybody asked about the power of an airsoft gun in ft/lbs?

We commonly measure muzzle velocity in imperial fps and power in metric joules.

I must admit, I started discussing velocity in m/sec a while back but it just used to baffle people so I went back to using fps.

Funny thing, IMO, is the way we so often mix imperial and metric measurements without really thinking about it.

The main thing, however, is that it's undeniable that the metric system is more logical in use. Metric measurements for stuff like pressure, weight and mass are all linked together rather than being just arbitrary units.

Also, anybody who's ever tried to enter imperial data into a computer will probably understand why a metric system is better.

About the only thing remaining would be to develop a metric system for measuring time. I bet that'd have a hard time getting off the ground. :D

When was the last time anybody asked about the power of an airsoft gun in ft/lbs?

Probably at the time that the law was made discussing that as the limit for 'lethality' as 1ft.lb. And it's not power either. It's momentum. :D

Funny thing, IMO, is the way we so often mix imperial and metric measurements without really thinking about it.

Agreed, the list is large.

The main thing, however, is that it's undeniable that the metric system is more logical in use.

As Chimpy has said, base 10 is so much easier and all SI units are base 10. Buggering around with archaic systems that don't count in 10's is a royal PITA. 14 doodahs to a thingy and 16 wotsits to a doodah etc ... total nonsense Couldn't agree more.

About the only thing remaining would be to develop a metric system for measuring time. I bet that'd have a hard time getting off the ground. :D

cough :D

(Edit: got my doodahs and wotsits confused ... see ... confusing eh?)

the thing is if i want to use imperial measurments when i walk into a shop i should be able to IF it suits me.

i agree entering the data in imperial is a PITA on cad/cam and other applications

or are we going to redo all the road markings in the UK, sinage etc from miles and yards to kilometers and meters?

and change everyones incar fuel economy comps to L/100km (mines defaulted to it at the moment after repair work and it ###### me off. 60 MPG i can visualise.4.5l/100km i cant without alot of thought.

or are we going to redo all the road markings in the UK, sinage etc from miles and yards to kilometers and meters?

I herd a rumour that they may switch to metric units on the road if they are going to bring the speed limits down but i haven't herd or read anything else about it.

Think it makes sense to have a global set of standard units but i see no reason why traditional units cant be used. Unless you are trying to work out lengths and weights of smaller parts or something thats very precise, imperial just dosent work there....cant actually see how you can work with x of a inch in half the formulas i have to do without making it a lot harder on yourself.

I've only worked on one project that used Imperial measurements and that was because it was nearly half a century old. I really didn't like it. I suppose it's what we are used to though as driving with k/m speed limits is odd to me yet measuring in milimetres and metres is perfectly normal to me.

We're essentially in a period of transition between the two. I'm just back from Tesco and can still find out the price of things per lb and per kg so it's not like it's as bad as Carrion makes out. Opposing a change because you can't be bothered learning the new system is a lame reason though.

Archived