• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

vertical grips cause the bbs to drop down faster defeating the purpose of a houpup. red dots make u go blind, for everyone u hit it takes away a min of vision so it makes u accurate out of fear. T

Yeah man, we pretty much get it. There's no need to post 20 times about how bad your KJW is. Now, can you please go ahead and delete your account?

News Update: We are back to working on our KJW BCGs. I think we should have a production level prototype finished within the next 10 days so keep your eyes peeled. For those who may have missed th

Posted Images

Sorry if this is too much of a derail, but i saw that King Arms is releasing a new GBBR. Was just wondering what you guys with more experience with other brands of GBBR's thought. Do you think its going to be just another WA clone with the same laundry list of problems or something special?

Back on topic, I have been playing with my KJW for what will be two years coming up here soon and its the gun I field every time I play now. I'm well known at my field as "That guy with the GBBR" and I dont ever want to go back to an AEG! I've put tens of thousands of rounds through it and never had an real problems to date. I did have the initial hop up and accuracy issues but I just added some shrink wrap and keep my hop dry and the problem went away. I notice my gun does need to "warm up" a little every time a play. The first round or two of combat I'll have inconsistent shots but after a few rounds its a nail driver, its kind of amusing to me. The gun just needs a few rounds through it like I need my morning coffee before I stop accidentally walking into things I guess. Anyways just thought I'd check in and say my KJW is still a rockin machine and the best airsoft investment I've made to date. KJW for life, can i get an Amen? =) Take it easy guys.

Got my TDC modded upper in today, my replica is all built back up and ready to go for testing tomorrow, I will try to head to a paintball field where I have a little more working room but we'll see. As a side note the work is great, clean, and simple. My original hop-up still functions, the TDC just give me more working room and it give the arm something to better seat with.

Just a quick update,

If you get the TDC mod done, remove any of the shrink wrap from the arm that you placed it on and turn your hop-up off, then run everything from the TDC screw.

I started out with .25s shooting a consistent 334fps for 5 shots in a row, then I started adjusting the hop-up and getting things dialed in, with the .25s I was getting about 220ft range. I ended up using .3g BBs going about 239ft at 310-314FPS.

The biggest change however was the shot to shot consistency, shots were going to the same place almost every time.

The down side is the screw is very very touchy, when you adjust it you need to think of adjusting it in 1/16 of a turn.

Edited by frogfish

Here is an image what the mod looks like, not really much to say past what I've already said, it works, it's consistent, and it's simple. I'll give more info while I put more rounds through it. I do think one of the more important things is to make sure you keep your hop-up clean, I washed my hop-up rubber in hot soapy water, then rinsed it with hot soapy water, then an alcohol rinse, then cold soapy water, then cold water, then alcohol, then let it air dry, it looks brand new and there is a marked improvement that also helped with my results today, and I think the TDC mod combined with a clean hop-up produces an amazing hop-up.

T_Hum as for adjustment, It's not to big of a deal to use what it's currently threaded for, whoever is using it just needs to realize that cranking down on the thing is not going to do what you want it to do, it's very fine adjustments.

DSC_2063.jpg

Oh and here is the range I was shooting via google earth

TDCmod.jpg

and my weapon

DSC_2062.jpg

Currently I have these parts in it

BC extension

piston cup

x nozzle velocity reducer

6.03 M4 length tight bore

I do think that a free floating barrel and rail do help with consistency as I think pressure on the barrel with throw things off internally.

Edited by frogfish

all this does is add a screw over the arm you are still going to use the arm and spring, and the dial should be left in place just to make sure no parts come loose. You can even use the hopup dial if you want but the screw seems to get a better result for me. Basically if you are having hop-up issues there is no reason not to do this mod.

Sweeet, nice results, might be interested.

Two questions:

t_hum How gutted does the upper have to be?

Also is the hop up arm completely gone now and the wheel? No need for them right? Or does this push down on the hop up arm?

Its best to leave the hop related parts in the upper when its sent. That way we can make sure everything is there and lined up and there are no other problems. So really just the upper and the pieces of the hop that are attached to the upper.

Like Frogfish mentioned, the hop dial and related parts should be left in. They won't be used but they hold everything in there. Mainly the spring and spring block that are under the hop wheel.

Not too sure, it's very fine, but T_hum might be able to find something that will thread in plastic. The kicker is will the plastic be able to handel the pressure of hop-up operation, it's kinda thin in that area.

We need someone to make reasonable priced metal uppers, maybe like a VTLOR upper......

I'd also like to find someone who will engrave my upper I want BCM trades...

Edited by frogfish

Plastic uppers would be significantly more difficult. The only way it could be done with any sort of reliability would be using a threaded insert. But I think the receivers are thin there and the inserts are much larger than the screw. It's a liability for me to do it so I'm going to say it's a no go on plastic uppers.

I honestly don't think I could make them cost effectively. The big AR guys are making them for $100 ballpark and they are making them from forgings 1,000 at a time. From billet in quantities of 150 youre not going to like the price ;)

Casting in these quantities would still be rediculous. I think KJW's MSRP on the stock upper is $80.

Edited by t_hum