Oh *suitcase*! It's snowing!

mattmanic

Started snowing about lunchtime yesterday here in Worcestershire. We've now got about 6" of perfect snowballing snow.

What's it like where you are?

Well... at my parents' home it's about -20°C, and 50cm of snow.

In Stockholm it's now -14°C and approx. 20cm of snow (now at noon-ish).

I took a short walk around town in the morning since I needed to get some fresh air. Immediately when I went outside I thought "Baaaad idea...", but nonetheless I continued with my plan. I ended up only walking around a few blocks square before I gave up and returned home. When I got home I caught a glance of my iPod earphone cords in the elevator mirror, and there where icicles hanging from them. Apparently my breath had attached to the cords and immediately frozen. This, combined with the fact that I had forgotten my long johns made it... impractical to leave the apartment.

Lowest temperature recorded in Sweden during the night: -38,8°C.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

started snowing about 9pm last night and had around 2 inches of snow when i went to work.

only had a 2 mile walk to work, could of drove but live on a hill so easy getting down not so much getting back up.

had to help a few drivers get up the road outside work, seeing a 7-1/2 ton lorry ''rallying it'' round the corner was intresting to see this morning :o

it's also started come down quite heavy again. :mellow:

andy-milton keynes

I've never had so much trouble getting the car start as I had on sunday. It was -32C in the morning and the electrical engine warming hadn't worked because of the cable getting unplugged for some reason.

Poor Mondeo literally coughed for about half an hour, I could hear the engine parts moving under heavy stress. Lucky the battery is good and the thing got ignited in the first place.

Otherwise the heavy snowfall hasn't really done any damage. This part of the country is used to it and I could ride my bicycle like I usually do, the tractors and snowplows just had to work 24/7. The snow amount in forests is about one meter though (~3 feet), no chance to go there even with skis.

Otherwise the heavy snowfall hasn't really done any damage. This part of the country is used to it and I could ride my bicycle like I usually do, the tractors and ploughs just had to work 24/7. The snow amount in forests is about one meter though (~3 feet), no chance to go there even with skis.

http://k2skis.com/skis/backside/pontoon

With a 130mm underfoot no probs! :D

oh NOOOO its snowing, lets shut all the schools....Lord knows those teachers arent able to get their arses out into the carpark and shovel some snow.

All the way from every students house to the school? That would be impressive. ;)

Conditions look ace this weekend so I'm off out to ski some powder! :D

oh NOOOO its snowing, lets shut all the schools....Lord knows those teachers arent able to get their arses out into the carpark and shovel some snow.

My missus is supposed to be going to one of the local schools tomorrow, working. The phone-call went like this:-

Mrs Stealth: "Hi, I was planning on coming over to the school tomorrow to go through the purchasing orders for the new year. Will the school be open?"

Head teacher: "Erm, we're not sure yet but regardless of whether it's open or not attending will be at the discretion of parents"

MS: "Erm, so you want me to ask my parents before I come in to do your accounts tomorrow?"

HT: "Well, no. It's just that the weather changes so much. The roads might be dangerous"

MS: "I can walk there. Will there be anybody there to meet me?"

HT: "Can I phone you in the morning?"

Pretty slick, huh? :rolleyes:

Gotta love people who work in teaching. Nine times out of ten they'd have their *ss handed to them if they worked in industry.

Gotta love people who work in teaching. Nine times out of ten they'd have their *ss handed to them if they worked in industry.

Except Marlowe obviously. ;)

Although I don't see what's quite so controversial about saying he doesn't know if the school will be closed yet and that parents can decide if they think the conditions are safe enough to take their children in.

I've never had so much trouble getting the car start as I had on sunday. It was -32C in the morning and the electrical engine warming hadn't worked because of the cable getting unplugged for some reason.

Poor Mondeo literally coughed for about half an hour, I could hear the engine parts moving under heavy stress. Lucky the battery is good and the thing got ignited in the first place.

Otherwise the heavy snowfall hasn't really done any damage. This part of the country is used to it and I could ride my bicycle like I usually do, the tractors and snowplows just had to work 24/7. The snow amount in forests is about one meter though (~3 feet), no chance to go there even with skis.

-32C? Ah ######, where was that? Oh am I looking forward to going back to ye ol' Finaldia. I feel for your car though, I quite surprised it started without the heater being on! Time to whip out the x-country skis I think!

On cars the thinner wheels are actually better on snow/ice than the low profile tyres as they tend to push through the snow to the tarmac and push out the water layer on top of ice due to exerting a higher pressure.

Mind you anyone out on two wheels is a bit mad at the moment. :D

4x4 driving is amusing me at the moment as well, just because you can take off easily doesn't mean your big, fat, heavy car is going to corner! :D

:P The work bike (Haotian) is like a Cub-90 but Chinese :D Stupid thing is, I just took off tyres that were admittedly pants, but they were at least knobbly.

Still, its better than trying to drive my Omega in the snow...that thing is absolutely horrid in these conditions!

---

Chimpy:

Well, Im hoping that once prices improve, I can sell the Omega, and not have a car at all! Bloody things cost too much to run for the amount I use them.

Well, Im hoping that once prices improve, I can sell the Omega, and not have a car at all! Bloody things cost too much to run for the amount I use them.

Tell me about it, not looking forward to buying one again at the moment! :)

Archived