Oh *suitcase*! It's snowing!

mattmanic

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow? Where I'm at? I have 3 feet of accumulation and drifts and piles up above 6 feet... there is literraly fortress walls of mixed ice and snow on either side of the drive way.

Today is the first day since Christmas to get above freezing so it's starting to melt a little. Maybe I can get some pictures later, but it sucks. I hate snow ><

An impassioned plea from all professional drivers in the UK to 80% of the car drivers.

Get the **** off the roads! None of you can drive, you're just bloody obstacles! Go home, have someone hide your car keys, and get a professional driver to show you how to operate a motor vehicle before you even think about asking for them back!

Theres a difference between 'drivers' and 'mindless steering wheel attendants'. Sadly, most people in cars are the latter. How the heck can someone otherwise be an intelligent, well adjusted person, and then have their brains turn to mush as soon as they get behind the wheel?

GAHHHHHH! :P

^ nail. head.

including my missus.

without bragging, ive not had a problem driving in this weather, and 'managed' to do 500 miles in a day and a half last week.

i live in the country, and the number of vehicles i have seen slide off the road in the last 2 weks has just been stupid. saw 4 in the space of 3 minutes the other day. on the same bend...

edit: and chimpy. skiing? you lucky bugger. i should have been in canada last week doing the same...

Most of the cars I've seen abandoned, in trouble, or having crashed have been 4x4s and RWDs, ie cars that we're told are better in ice and snow, so if what we're told is true, it just goes to show how little those behind the wheels know how to control their vehicles.

Someone I know took their dog for a walk at a park with an snow covered car park, so deep in places he had to raise his suspension up.

He found a Meganne CC owner struggling, with car mats under the back wheels (it's a front wheel drive car), front wheels spinning like there's no tomorrow. The driver had managed to wear a patch in the snow through to the tarmac below, however the tread was worn down below the markers!

Take their keys away and never give them back I say.

Then there's these prats...

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/6741269/17522929

Lucky they slid away from it as they nearly went under.

My fave has to be the American girl I knew on a forum who, on advice, shoved bags of sand in the back of her car to increase grip. Conversation went something like:

Me: Sand in the back of the car huh? Is your car front or rear wheel drive?

Her: What does that mean?

Me: Does it power the front or back wheels?

Her: Dont know

Me: What kind of car is it?

Her: Chevy Cavalier

Me: Dunderhead...

The Jag last night had it's nose out into the clear dual carriageway, but it's rear wheels spinning as he was flooring it.

Course me in my fwd Activa just pulled up taking it nice and easy and then out onto the road without any issue at all.

Tonight he was having trouble getting out of a parking bay, again spinning the wheels before getting out to try and kick the ice away.

Seriously, if you are going to spend that much money on a car, is it too much to ask you spend a little bit on driving lessons?

Try driving an Omega :P

I took it to the Unreal Leycett site and nearly got stuck. TCS makes the car just not go anywhere as its continuously cutting the throttle, but you spin with it off. Ice mode...god only knows what thats supposed to do because it doesnt do it!

People look shocked when I take my little bike to work...at least I can rely on it to get there, even with summer tyres on!

I drive a bus and the only holdups Ive had is dodging cars :D

its not what you drive etc!

you hoon around in a bus, with, i bet, all sorts of mad insurance policies cos you carry people, and my bloody council wont even turn out to empty the bins in their wagons...

all i was saying is its easier to cut my own tyre tracks in my pickup :P i drive my girlies' corsa about too when she gets up earlier than me and nicks my car to go to the horses.

thieving wench.

Most of the cars I've seen abandoned, in trouble, or having crashed have been 4x4s and RWDs, ie cars that we're told are better in ice and snow, so if what we're told is true, it just goes to show how little those behind the wheels know how to control their vehicles.

Can't say I've ever heard anybody suggesting RWD vehicles are better in bad weather.

As Guzzi says, FWD is more useful because the weight of the engine is over the driven wheels.

Obviously, we're talking about front-engined cars here.

Things are a little different if the car is mid or rear engined but, even so, traction isn't much use if the car doesn't want to go where you aim it.

RWD good on ice and snow? Guess my Volvo 244 is the best winter car ever then.

RWD good on ice and snow? Guess my Volvo 244 is the best winter car ever then.

Even better than my Triumph TR8?

That used to limp along the kerb like a dog with a broken back in icy weather. :(

Seriously, if I ever managed to get it onto the road the rear end would simply slide back toward the gutter as soon as I began to let the clutch out.

I love my front wheel drive, because the same two wheels do all the work.

That means I only need one set of snow socks.

The snow is mostly gone here, now I am being held up by people who are still scooting about at 20 because it snowed last week.

Mental inertia.

I always used to be under the misconception that RWD was better for dodgy conditions because if you wheelsping, you still have steering...then I met the Mig. It can go NOWHERE in snow or ice.

The modern obsession with super fat tyres is also utterly retarded IMO. On a perfect road on a perfect day theyre worth it. Anything adverse and they are on a heading to nowhere.

The car I had most fun in in snow? Vauxhall Viva 1300L. I was kicking the pants off anything modern (this was 1995-1996) and could drift it like I was a pro.

The car I had most fun in in snow? Vauxhall Viva 1300L. I was kicking the pants off anything modern (this was 1995-1996) and could drift it like I was a pro.

Not exactly fun but, meh...

I was on a job up in Aberdeen a few years ago.

I'd blagged myself a nice Hi-Lux crewcab as a company car - which was terrifying in the snow BTW. I ended up chucking 3 paving slabs in the back for ballast.

The runt of the litter was a horrid Lada Niva which we gave to a fitters mate who smelled.

In the snow, however, it was bloody brilliant.

The skinny little tyres that made it so poor in soft ground ensured it always kept a grip in snow.

Tried snowboarding again yesterday, didn't work the snow was basicly just the same as when you've sucked all the taste out of a slush puppy...

However, we've had an extra 3" last night :) So I may give it another go later...

I've been a boarder for 10 years. Used to be a regular at MK & more recently Hemel.

I live on a hill, skateboarders came from miles around back in the '70's.

In the time I've been boarding, there has never been enough appropriate snow, for me to 'do' my road.

Even last year when it dumped way more, it wasn't enough to give a proper base, where I could be safe, not scraping the base.

So, we dream on & look forward to next week, when I'm off to Austria. :D

This just ain't proper snow, I don't know what all the fuss was about. Even the shots on the telly of remote areas that have a foot or so ain't exactly frightening.

Back when I was a lad, etc. etc. had to walk to school barefoot or get the cane, etc. etc, dug the house out every day, etc. etc., no central heating/double glazing, proper deep snow, lost two kids, to frost bite & one went missing never to be seen again, etc. Yetis every bloody where,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You lot don't know how lucky you are. This is nofink, you've got it easy, etc. :P

Greg.

Archived