Rappelling in Airsoft?

Johnny Mad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stirling Services in the UK had a bit of rappelling action at one event at Cattrick FIBUA training area. As far as I know it was staged for effect. I imagine doing it 'live' would be a health and safety/insurance nightmare. Was pretty f'ing cool anyway.

There are some picture in thier gallery I *think*, but no idea where.

Well, if i ever have the money.

I plan to hire a helicopter and fast rope into a game, sod h&s as it would be my own site i would do it on if / when i got round to getting a site open.

'FireKnife'

we are working on this at our site at the moment.

its difficult getting airtime on the helicopter in question, but hopefully this year, it will happen. qualified climbing instructors, and a private day, but we are planning it. only done a bit of fast-roping, so shall be practicing!

As cool as it looks I can't see too many practical uses in airsoft other than long milsim games where the teams might let down their guard but even then a helicopter is pretty obvious especially at the height to fast rope.

In staged events it could have its purpose at a military training base, big tall building with external roof access or fast rope onto the roof i guess would make a exciting game as the opposition would expect you to try access via the ground floor and use the stair wells

you would need a qualified and insured jump master (with roping ticket), a chopper that is rigged with rope mounts/outriggers, a pilot capable with the right boxes on their license (many different boxes on a chopper license) and everyone taking part to attend a course.

add onto that Piles of very expensive insurance

Awesome as it may be takes a hell of a lot of work and more money to achieve.

This may be obvious but don't just use a fig 8.

Use something that will arrest/stop your fall if you let go of it.

As your focus will be distracted you will need to use a device that controls your decent & will lock it off, dead man style, allowing you both hands free.

There are so many ways to do this, that it is pointless, me suggesting one. It's better that bare this in mind & choose the one that you feel is appropriate.

Greg.

You need one of these.

I used one on a work at height rescue course a few months back; thread the rope through the gadget and it locks securely. To move down, rotate it away from you. Let go and it stops. Simple.

Why that specific one, as opposed to any of the other 234,million, million, million, alternatives? Or a prussic loop? :D

On a side note, what ever you go for, make sure it is compatible with the diameter rope you are using. Professional wahr stuff will normally be set up for (& specify) use with ropes that are thicker than those available for recreational climbing. & if you have to be legally insured, check that all the gear you use has been checked over & approved by a competent & qualified assessor (as fit & safe for purpose) in the last 6 months.

Remember there is a huge difference between what you do recreationaly & the legislation required to legally do this sort of thing professionally.

Basically, none of the legislation applies to recreational, this is at your own risk. It only comes into play if someone is getting paid to do it. ;)

Greg.

it also comes into play when you pay someone to use thier premise for the activity. Or pay somebody to organize said activity.

The clue is actually in one word: Work.

WORKing at Height regs '05. Health & Safety at WORK act '74. Management of H/S WORK regs '99. Lifting Operations, Lifting Equipment (in a WORKing environment), regs '98. And anything else, specific to this activity, will be WORK related.

If no one specifically related to the activity, is working, as such, the regs don't apply. This is ironic, as the risks remain the same. The laws have been set up to protect workers, without impeding the freedom of an individual.

If in any doubt you have two choices:

Wrap your self in cotton wool & stay at home. (Cough, *wheelbarrow*.)

Or

Get out there & give it a go.

Do your very best to ensure that no one is injured, no property is damaged & no laws are broken. Take advice. Use that, all too forgotten Brain you have, to apply, that all to forgotten resource, common sense, to genuinely asses the risks involved. ;)

We seem to be so obsessed with excuses why we can't do some thing (current legislation), that we forget the most important thing: If it's your fault, it's only right that you will have to pay.

There are no laws that say you cant toss a rope out of a privately owned building on private land (unless specified within a lease agreement) & attempt to slide down it.

There are plenty of laws to protect employees from being forced to do this in a dangerous manner & plenty of laws to protect other folk, from damage caused, should they arise, as a consequence of your actions.

Keep this in perspective. There are laws that clearly state it is illegal to throw fireworks (pyro :huh: ) or shoot people with an air rifle (500fps boltie :huh: ), yet folk happily do that, every weekend.

Good luck.

Greg.

No one says you have to jump out of a 6 story building or a helo.

If you really want to put a seat on and clip to a rope then do it on a hill with a reasonable slope but one that won't kill you if you get it wrong. We're already living in a state of suspened belief, what's one more step in the big picture.

The only way I'd ever let anyone do this is by training them first on a certified tower in a location that has the required stuff there, and then it would only be those people who show up to that training day(s) and who have purchased their own certified harness that I'd allow to do it, of course, insurance pending.

One thing I've often found out though, is that there are cases where one hobby, and another hobby, should not be combined because the result is two very half arsed hobbies.. This is most likely the case for airsoft and climbing/rappelling.

The Pretzl Ascender (Fall Arrest Device) is pretty awesome, we use one at our Boy Scout Camp's climbing tower (50 foot tower with a 50ft, 35 and 25 climb/rappel sides) and it has an inside ladder to get to the top and we require everyone to hook up on it. I've seen it arrest itself on it's own weight while going down the rope to the instructor at the bottom. For rappelling though off the outside of the tower we use Rescue 8's on screwlocks as mandated by BSA policy. We are set up to do some pretty epic stuff at that climbing tower, and though I'm a Rifle Range instructor, I find the tower far more fun then the ranges. Maybe it's because I work at the ranges and get to shoot alot? Not sure!

I tried rappelling down a hill once. Short story is, rope loosened, I fell, and I got sprained my ankle while getting shot.

It's badass, so if you know how to do it, go for it. If not, safety first.

There was recently an event near me with a helicopter that had "door gunners" armed with M60s, and they were able to shoot surprising well considering the copter's down draft. While fast roping is cool, so is seeing a helicopter land and deploy 12 or so guys.

• 10 months later...

Archived