Your most epic fail purchase

Ecthelion

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for crying out loud people, computer fans, 9v batteries and 5 cents worth of wiring and you never fog again ever, and you also have a little face cooling unit

mine has the fan situated centrally at teh top and keeps sweat from forming on my brow and rolling into my eyes, in addition to keeping me 10000% fog free, and its the best 0.00$ I've ever spent

for crying out loud people, computer fans, 9v batteries and 5 cents worth of wiring and you never fog again ever, and you also have a little face cooling unit

mine has the fan situated centrally at teh top and keeps sweat from forming on my brow and rolling into my eyes, in addition to keeping me 10000% fog free, and its the best 0.00$ I've ever spent

On what goggles chap?

I just run mesh, my eyes get used to it after about 10-15mins of focusing in game and I sweat a fair bit on my face and hands so I know that mesh is the only way to go for me.

Plus full face as I like my teeth and looks, even if others don't :P.

As for fail, well what else. Oh yes a so called repro magazine pouch that I bought designed for Colt 1911 magazines. When the 1911A1 mags didn't fit I though 'well they do have feed lips so fair enough', but when the Detonics mags didn't fit either I just felt confused as to what exactly it was meant to be used for so it became a place to store loose change and that was it before it promptly fell apart.

'FireKnife'

ACM Pistol FastMags. Even with the retention bands set as tight as possible, they provide hardly any grip on GBB magazines. The M4 versions are much better and can grip pistol magazines better, surprisingly. 

I suppose the saving grace here is that they handled plastic MP5 midcaps OK, but are hardly the perfect way to carry them! 

Z-tactical sordins, absolute garbage, developed a weird buzzing noise in one ear after about a week and then failed completely after another couple of weeks. So disappointed with them I had to go and buy real ones, which are lovely!

Oh dear, I've just purchased a set of those!

Come to think of the the PTTs were terrible! 1st one, DOA .. second one, works just fine - but you have to apply pressure to the connection with the handset! 

On what goggles chap?

I wear a modified Vforce vantage, but you can fit small fans on pretty much any goggles that arent low profile

Mine is actually wired to an old RC car battery i keep in my breast pocket, and yes the wiring is in a disgusting state of disrepair due to my lazyness though i hide it pretty well in the pics, but you can see where i ran out of shrink wrap and covered some wires with silicone sealant to insulate them...

the air from the overhanging are of the fan is still directed into the goggles by a silicone rubber shroud that I bubba'd up to it

I used to have a smaller fan but this one works so much better

b8oa.jpg

tzzx.jpg

uisp.jpg

as for fail purchases? alot of those... WA beretta stands out as an exceptional piece of ######, same with kwa mac11, Dboys Kar98, I'm sure I'll think of others

Very , very true , especialy with sniper rifles ,

See I'd say spring sniper rifles are the only thing that buying cheap isn't a bad idea, assuming you get the right one and know what to look for - I picked up a VSR G-Spec clone for £70 brand new, 430FPS, consistent to within 3-5FPS, very accurate with a .3 and the hop works fine.. The way I figure it, even if it dies, replacing the VSR compatible internals will still end up costing a hell of a lot less than buying and upgrading a TM. Iunno, maybe I got lucky, but even if it was DOA it'd still work out cheaper than a TM one even if you replaced everything but the stock, barrel and receiver!

My most terrible fail purchase was my first ever gun . A well d90 .

Gravity fed magazine that only works when the guns barrel is facing downhill or at people's ankles .

A mouse farting a bb through a straw has more velocity , range and accuracy than one of these .

My second was a jls 2000 that actualy caught fire whilst I was skirmishing with it . Was funny at the time , but not funny when I realised it had burnt out and melted its internals beyond repair. .

Heh, I had a JLS SCAR I bought from Airsoft World a few days before the VCRA... It was so bad it was actually quite funny. The outer barrel fell off after firing a short burst, and attempting to re-attach it ruined the thread because it was made of brie, or possibly bel paese cheese. Then the front sight snapped off, then the top part of the rear sight sprung out, the stock snapped off and finally the gearbox ate itself with so much noise I thought perhaps my ears were exploding.

JLS guns are awesome.

Heh, I had a JLS SCAR I bought from Airsoft World a few days before the VCRA... It was so bad it was actually quite funny. The outer barrel fell off after firing a short burst, and attempting to re-attach it ruined the thread because it was made of brie, or possibly bel paese cheese. Then the front sight snapped off, then the top part of the rear sight sprung out, the stock snapped off and finally the gearbox ate itself with so much noise I thought perhaps my ears were exploding.

JLS guns are awesome.

Thats almost impressively bad!

Ohhhhh and another one. Again , back as a newbie i decided that i would do all my own teching and so naturally , i needed to buy a gearbox and a motor/ new grip to experiment with learn about ( lol - even the notion). £55 later i had a classic army gearbox and high torque motor. obviously the seller didnt mention that it lacked a cut off lever , or motor spade connectors or a tamiya or deans. just bare wiring.

When i got the wiring sorted the gearbox shell cracked within 200 rounds. Woop Woop.

Nearly forgot to mention my z/one own brand bb bulk bag purchase . Last year .

Jammed in every gun I tried them in due to them having terrible tolerances and being sort of egg shaped . So much for my bargain purchase . Am still trying to get rid of them by filling moscarts up with them .

Never again !!!

JLS guns are awesome.

Wait you get guns made by these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLS No wonder it sucked.

I am now away to wash my keyboard after typing that page into my computer, which will also be wiped.

i've never had a problem with zero one BB's...

Lucky sod, I have had issues at about the 1 in 250-500 range, which to me is not good enough. That is not counting the deformed ones I found. At the moment I have some Aim Tops and some Blasters and they have never let me down.

'FireKnife'

I've actually never had an issue with zero one BBs either.

Apart from a bottle of heavyweights that were sold to me as "clearance" that should have been sold as QC fails. And they were only a couple of quid so I'm not fussed by that.

Not one of mine, but some friends purchased some 1911s made by SRC (think they were labelled as officers models, but just looked like a TM Detonics if I'm being honest). In minutes, they were wrecked!

If you let the follower go when loading the magazines, the spring is strong enough (or the feed lips weak enough) that the follower will smash through the feed lips into the air, never to be seen again! 

Bottled or bagged? I had heard the odd story about the bagged stuff. G&G heavyweights are great though.

Most epic fail would have probably been a KJW KP-06...the race gun looking thing. I had planned on installing an SD slide slide and polishing the lower frame to give a two tone effect which would have complemented the silver barrel being visible through the cuts in the slide.

Except it was a nightmare of *fruitcage*ed tolerances and ended up being scrapped.

Archived