Thanks BP for ruining our beaches with oil

PILMAN

Anyway what is the latest scoop on the leak? For some reason i cant get on any US media sites to see what spin is being put on current events?

They pretty much seem to have cut the riser off as flush with the top of bop as rov's could. They are going to lower a containment dome over that.

As said before the oil is hotter as it comes out of the BOP so the crystal formation should be minimized. However now that the riser is mostly/all gone the flow rate is increased from what is was previously.

Although come any tropical activity they are going to have to pull the dome off and skirt off for a few days until it passes through. Hurricanes like Katrina develop waves over 100 feet high out at sea, and by all projections we are 2010 will be an 05 encore year for tropical development.

As of last night reports are that the oil is mere miles off the coast of the florida panhandle. No reports on anything moving as a result of the loop current. Still efforts by BP to downplay the underwater plumes. Its is basically going to be flowing till August.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you've ever been to America stealth but it's a pretty big country. Low population density too. To go about your daily life you need a car. Literally need a car to do anything. There's isn't the option to jump on a bus or take the subway. The situation in Europe and America are not the same. Europeans can afford to tax gasoline as much as they do because the demand isn't nearly as inelastic as it is in the states.

Well, if cars are so gosh-darned important I'd suggest that the American government starts to tax the living sh*t out of fuel as soon as possible.

After all, if you absolutely MUST have a car, it's not like you'll be able to do anything about it, right?

TBH though, I think you're talking rubbish.

If cars are so important, do you guys get born with a driving license?

Did you use a taxicab to get around when you were a kid, what with the country being so big and all?

Does everybody live in Kansas and commute into New York or LA every day?

How did everybody actually get so spread out if they didn't have cars when the towns were built?

Do you have any statistics that show roughly how far away from their place of work the average American lives?

Frankly, I don't think the size of the country actually matters that much.

Regardless of the size of the country, if your destination is more than about a mile from where you are you NEED some form of motorised transport to get you and your junk there and, if there isn't a bus or train that can get you and your junk from A to B that means using a car.

Uh, actually it is true. Most people who work in cities don't live in said cities. Around where I live, most people drive 1-2 hours to get to their jobs in the city.

You're missing the point.

As I said, unless you live within a mile or so of where you work, it doesn't matter if your country is 20 miles across or 2,000 miles. You're still gonna need transport to get around.

Saying "America is bigger than European countries so we NEED cars" doesn't fly.

You need a car to get to the subway station/bus stop/train station.

Well, if cars are so gosh-darned important I'd suggest that the American government starts to tax the living sh*t out of fuel as soon as possible.

After all, if you absolutely MUST have a car, it's not like you'll be able to do anything about it, right?

That probably makes sense to you, but the American public would just vote people in who would repeal taxes. Our government is accountable and the one thing that our population does not tolerate is taxes.

TBH though, I think you're talking rubbish.

If cars are so important, do you guys get born with a driving license?

Does not deserve a response.

Did you use a taxicab to get around when you were a kid, what with the country being so big and all?

Outside of a mile range my parents drove.

Does everybody live in Kansas and commute into New York or LA every day?

Average commute is 30 miles which is a lot considering our population density in the cities is not low.

How did everybody actually get so spread out if they didn't have cars when the towns were built?

Urban sprawl happened because of cars, mostly after WWII.

Do you have any statistics that show roughly how far away from their place of work the average American lives?

It's pretty easy to find

Frankly, I don't think the size of the country actually matters that much.

Regardless of the size of the country, if your destination is more than about a mile from where you are you NEED some form of motorised transport to get you and your junk there and, if there isn't a bus or train that can get you and your junk from A to B that means using a car.

And that is why a lot of people need cars. Most people I knew who lived in NYC didn't own or need cars. We have about 320million people who don't live in NYC.

Yes, we have park and ride here too.

I used to work out of an office in Liverpool and we often had to attend meetings in London.

I was really surprised to find that there were heaps of people getting on trains as far north as Warrington and Stoke in order to commute to work in London.

There's a whole bunch of small train stations in, seemingly, the middle of nowhere but the car parks are all filled every morning because people drive to the train stations from all the various surrounding small villages before catching a train to the city.

I walk 0.7 miles to work every morning.

However, when I lived 5 miles away I walked 5 miles every day and when I lived 9 miles from work I rode my bike every day.

Even in Britain we are fairly lazy compared to other european countries, especially Scandinavian countries, human powered commutes are much more the norm there.

The problem with the US is that the minute you try to ride a bike to work you are killed by a woman in a 27 foot long SUV with 9 seats that only ever has one person in it as she drives 800 yards to work whilst putting on her makeup and eating breakfast.

Bigger is not always better.

And that is the problem with our species as a whole. The vast majority of us are to set in our ways, and to lazy to change. If we did then we would not have a lot of the problems we do today with massive carbon emissions and people driving massive cars on their own, when they could jsut walk instead.

I walk 0.7 miles to work every morning.

However, when I lived 5 miles away I walked 5 miles every day and when I lived 9 miles from work I rode my bike every day.

Even in Britain we are fairly lazy compared to other european countries, especially Scandinavian countries, human powered commutes are much more the norm there.

The problem with the US is that the minute you try to ride a bike to work you are killed by a woman in a 27 foot long SUV with 9 seats that only ever has one person in it as she drives 800 yards to work whilst putting on her makeup and eating breakfast.

Bigger is not always better.

Back when I was working in Aberdeen I used to set off at 4am on a Monday morning and drive the 250 miles to arrive at the office for 8am.

I regularly used to hear cyclists shouting insults at car drivers as they cut through the traffic in Aberdeen.

On one occasion I was lucky enough to get insulted by a guy who, shortly afterwards, got stuck behind a van.

When I caught him up I took the opportunity to point out that if HE had to commute 250 miles while carrying a large tool box, a bag of work clothes, a bag of normal clothes, a laptop and a bankers box full of paperwork it'd take him until about f**king wednesday to arrive.

The brown pelican was designated the state bird of Louisiana in 1966. Early European settlers were impressed with the pelican's generous and nurturing attitude toward their young, and the brown pelican has been a symbol of Louisiana since that time.

Louisiana's official nickname is "The Pelican State" and the brown pelican appears on , state seal, the official state painting (along with many other symbols and icons of Louisiana), and is one of three Louisiana symbols displayed on the U.S. mint's bicentennial quarter.

The state bird of Louisiana is unique among the world's seven species of pelicans. The brown pelican is found along the ocean shores and not on inland lakes. It is the only dark pelican, and also the only one that plunges from the air into the water to catch its food.

Pesticide use caused Pelicans to stop nesting along the Louisiana coast in 1961, and they completely disappeared by 1966. Louisiana began attempting to re-populate its coastline by transporting Florida fleglings into the state. The US Fish and Wildlife Service listed the Brown Pelican as an endangered species in 1970, but the Federal Government declared the Brown Pelican "recovered" in Louisiana in 1995 . About 40,000 Brown Pelicans call "The Pelican State" their home today.

http://www.boston.co...in_the_oil.html

This is true, Theres a girl in our apartment complex with a giant V8 Titan, and the only place I ever see her drive it is to a place a half mile away. Ridiculous

Maybe if you actually live in the city, but most people here drive to work.

Moriquende and Stealth.

Yes.

But it is the people in the cities who have the easiest means to mass transit commute.

The people who live in the ulu (and those like Stealth who have to carry all the stuff in the world to multiple sites)don't have much choice but it is the ones in the critical band around the cities.

The suburbs, the place where the people could make a difference live. They can't be bothered though.

The buy a prius to make it look like they care but that is just as bad as a normal car.

It's the transit systems that need to be in place before the people have an opportunity to use them. In LA our subway system does not travel to most suburbs. Our buses are too inconsistent to be used for daily transit to work. So we really have no other option. When taking a bus means you can get to work +/- 1 hour, it's really not an option. Our subway is good but it's so tiny that the closest station to me is farther away than my work.

Archived