We have a new Prime Minister

tom lawson

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you vote for lib dems (which i didnt) then you clearly dont want a conservative government, to think that your vote went towards that is horrible. I think the best option would of been for a minority government and then ALL the parties would work together. True, not as many laws and policies would get through, but the ones that did would actualy be what people wanted.

what ever way you look at it conservatives are still conservatives. They did worse to the country then any labour government did. Even though im happy Brown is out, the majority of Conservative policies pander to the upper classes.

Personally, I was rather ambivalent about it all right up until the point where I saw Michael Heseltine on telly and then I started to get this sinking feeling in my stomach.

Anybody care to place bets on what they're going to privatise first?

Schools, prisons, hospitals, libraries, roads?

Personally, my money's on roads.

Nah roads earn them too much money to give away

The Lib/Con coalition could work well if the Lib Dems get a good say on policy, hes had the job for an hour and a half (almost) so its just a tad early to start saying hes the herald of the apocolypse or the saviour of British politics.

Hopefully this time we have a PM who when he says we will have a referendum we will actually get one....it does look like those ID cards Labour insisted would solve all of our problems are going to follow Gordon now at any rate.

I look forward to what we have in store. I have no preconceptions that the conservatives will be any better or worse than labour, but atleast we made the change.

We've had 13 years of "progressive" and "social" orientated government, lets see what the other side of the house can offer.

The Tories are back in power.

I'm a public servant.

I'm actually gonna be very well looked after now.

It depends what type of public servant you are! I'm in the same boat as you (if you're the same Panoptes on ARRSE) - one of the reasons I voted Conservative.

I look forward to what we have in store. I have no preconceptions that the conservatives will be any better or worse than labour, but atleast we made the change.

We've had 13 years of "progressive" and "social" orientated government, lets see what the other side of the house can offer.

Erm, not sure about either of those statements.

"We" didn't make the change. That's why there's a hung parliament.

As AceOfSkulls said, I expect all the people who placed a vote for the lib-dems are probably most gutted of all.

Beyond that, I can only assume you're too young to already KNOW what the conservatives have in store for us: Undermining the strength of trade-unions, privatisation of national assets, persecution of various minorities, tax breaks for the rich etc...

Erm, not sure about either of those statements.

"We" didn't make the change. That's why there's a hung parliament.

As AceOfSkulls said, I expect all the people who placed a vote for the lib-dems are probably most gutted of all.

Beyond that, I can only assume you're too young to already KNOW what the conservatives have in store for us: Undermining the strength of trade-unions, privatisation of national assets, persecution of various minorities, tax breaks for the rich etc...

Last time I checked they received the most votes, and were widely considered to have the most legitimacy to create government. You don't have to agree with that, its fact.

Maybe Lib Dem voters will be gutted by it, but they knew when they put a cross on the paper they weren't ever getting thier party to power. Compromises were going to be made regardless of which party Mr Clegg jumped in bed with.

And of all the things you've listed, i'd rather find out for myself. Except for the trade union bit, I RELISH the prospect of Unions taking a kicking.

Basically the election was like my bowel it pushes brown out to be replaced by more sh*t!! Thats my opinion anyway! Can`t trust any of them.None of them have a clue what real life is like they are all public school boys who have lived off their parents wealth and never had a taste of what living in the uk is like for us less well off folk! They all talk ###### and the country will be no better off no matter who is in power!

I RELISH the prospect of Unions taking a kicking.

ummm why :unsure:, unions are the only ones that stop companys doing what they want with people. Politician have no right to tell unions what to do, as long as they dont break the law. I dont mind missing a flight, train or not recieving a letter for a few days if it means some hard worker doesnt get *fruitcage*ed in the *albatross*. I work for Royal Mail (yeah yeah) and if you heard half the stuff management pulled you would vote for strike too.

Ermm, didnt labour privatize half the nhs with those stupid private finance initiatives that left the nhs in massive debt & in a worse state than ever regards cleanliness and getting people seen too properly? Half the private hospitals or clinics lack the basic equipment to carry out procedures ( Panorama episode ) whilst the real hospitals have to make do with foreign docs who are drug addicts or cant read instructions in english properly- great idea of labour to fly in locums for a single day at a stupid cost to the nhs and taxpayer. And what about the vcra? What about plastic plods with no powers of arrest but earn more money than alot of squaddies do? What about the human rights legislation thats turning schools into battle grounds because teachers cant discipline knife wielding hoodies? What about all the red tape that labour has promised to cut, but just creates more instead? What about handing over more and more power to brussels who dictate what we can and cant do in our own country? ( I am not a UKIP or BNP frothy mouthed sympaphiser before anyone even thinks it, again... :waggle: ). And I agree that the trade unions need taking down a peg or two, especially the postal workers union.

I remember how things were 13 years ago when labour took power, and I know how things are now; this country has gone down hill so much, we need a fresh start without the bloody 'New labour: same old *suitcase*' party at the helm. Give the tory/libdem coalition a chance, see if they cant reverse some of the rot left behind by an ineffective, selfserving labour party ( anyone else able to read the private eye without your blood boiling? me neither... ).

Rant over.

Ermm, didnt labour privatize half the nhs with those stupid private finance initiatives that left the nhs in massive debt & in a worse state than ever regards cleanliness and getting people seen too properly? Half the private hospitals or clinics lack the basic equipment to carry out procedures ( Panorama episode ) whilst the real hospitals have to make do with foreign docs who are drug addicts or cant read instructions in english properly- great idea of labour to fly in locums for a single day at a stupid cost to the nhs and taxpayer. And what about the vcra? What about plastic plods with no powers of arrest but earn more money than alot of squaddies do? What about the human rights legislation thats turning schools into battle grounds because teachers cant discipline knife wielding hoodies? What about all the red tape that labour has promised to cut, but just creates more instead? What about handing over more and more power to brussels who dictate what we can and cant do in our own country? ( I am not a UKIP or BNP frothy mouthed sympaphiser before anyone even thinks it, again... :waggle: ). And I agree that the trade unions need taking down a peg or two, especially the postal workers union.

I remember how things were 13 years ago when labour took power, and I know how things are now; this country has gone down hill so much, we need a fresh start without the bloody 'New labour: same old *suitcase*' party at the helm. Give the tory/libdem coalition a chance, see if they cant reverse some of the rot left behind by an ineffective, selfserving labour party ( anyone else able to read the private eye without your blood boiling? me neither... ).

Rant over.

I don't disagree with any of the above.

I was just responding to Angels "We'll see what the other lot can offer" comment by pointing out what the tories WILL offer.

I think you're in a tiny minority if you think this country is in worse shape than it was in the 1990s though.

Sure, there's a lot of undesirable stuff going on these days but the country was MAJORLY up the sh*tter when Blair got into office.

Hell, even Dave Cameron acknowledged that in his speech this evening. ;)

I'm not too gutted as a Lib Dem voter. I don't think they had much of a chance after Labour withdrew from discussions. It was take the best deal available or let the Tories form a minority government which would likely force a new election pretty soonish which wouldn't have looked good either way (see all the pre-deal spin on 'National Interest'). Mind you Labour also had no choice, imagine the uproar if they got into power without actually getting the most seats. On top of which this next government is essentially going to have to make cuts so the entire thing could be a poisoned chalice.

Hopefully with the mix of Lib Dem and Tory cabinet plus the Tories relying on the Lib Dems to make their majority it will soften the blow that the Conservatives will deal out. Although I'm not overly optimistic.

Basically the election was like my bowel it pushes brown out to be replaced by more sh*t!! Thats my opinion anyway! Can`t trust any of them.None of them have a clue what real life is like they are all public school boys who have lived off their parents wealth and never had a taste of what living in the uk is like for us less well off folk! They all talk ###### and the country will be no better off no matter who is in power!

Except of course the only politician you mention in that stupid rant. Gordon Brown isn't a public school boy nor were his parents particularly wealthy. In terms of upbringing growing up in Fife when he did will have given him plenty of first hand experience of what being poor was like.

He did spend his student days publishing pamphlets on how to sponge off the state while at university, then turned around and helped make it far more expensive for people to go to university.

Although he's quite not as bad as Charles 'Mr Potatohead' Clarke...

Hah, I wasn't trying to suggest that he was in any way good. Just that dingodog's point doesn't make any sense when he illustrates it with a politician who demonstrates that it's a load of ######! :)

Archived