FN SCAR Picture thread

Don't the AEG and RS SCAR have stock that come off differently ...

At least for the VFC and related models they come off the same. Now, proportions may be totally different and prevent backwards comparability. Other models such as the G&G obviously differ because the stock is bolted on. Your memory may come from when the removal of the stock did change for real steel. Between ver.2 and ver.3 they changed the stock design. They not only changed the cheek comb, but also the direction the stock removed from. Ver.2 SCARs had the stock come of upwards, while ver.3 and on come off downwards.

As for an LE stock on the SCAR, I'm not sure why you would, but I remember some one doing a custom job on a CA SCAR. I think it might even be in the old FN/ SCAR (I don't remember when they split it) picture thread.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like the look of the SCAR with AR stocks. They are slim, as AR itself. SCAR has rather bulky receiver and only other I see with it is ACR stock. But it's just me ;).

I agree, it just feels too sudden of a transition from the bulk of the body to the slimness of a standard AR stock. That's why I would rather see a bulkier UBR on it :D

I totally get that UBR feel.

Haha, I'm not alone!! :P

So does anyone have a guide or writeup to getting other pistol grips on VFC SCARs? I know I've heard plenty of people saying things like a MIAD or TD grip won't fit, but I haven't heard *why* and I've seen a handful of people get the job done.

I'll try and describe form memory what I did to fit the ergonomic grip on my VFC SSR:

From memory the VFC grip area that mates with the part of the gearbox that protrudes from the lower receiver is shorter both in height and length front to back than a standard AR grip. In order for the "base" at the top of the grip (where the motor spindle sticks out) to fit flush with the bottom of the gearbox a few mm of material needed shaving from the top of the ergo grip. Not doing this would mean the first gear and motor gear would not mesh properly, as a normal AR grip would not be able to push far enough onto the gearbox before reaching the edges of the lower receiver.

This also meant that when the guides on the grip are pushed into the slots on the geabox, the front few mm of the Ergo AR grip (the edges at right angles/vertical) also needed shaving so those edges fit flush with the rear of the trigger guard area. My ergo grip also had a beaver tail and as the previous shaving moved it into conflict with the rear of the lower receiver that had to come off, which was fine as the example of the SSR at shot show 2010 also did not have a beaver tail.

I also accidently shaved off a bit to much from the grip, so had to build the grip sides back up a little using a black epoxy resin (I do some composite (carbon/kevlar) work as a hobby/sideline so had some black resin handy), but that's because I was working largely from eye, despite trying to get some digital calipers in the gaps to measure it porperly before cutting. To be honest it was a bit of a pain to do and I'm not going to try it again for my SCAR L's or the normal H when I get hold of one of those (althouh I'm still holding out for a WE GBB H, which should take RS AR grips iirc).

I'll maybe try and draw what I described above, as pictures are alot easier to understand than my written description, but I hope that lot made some sense.