Sniper Pistols

scar527

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Ive seen TM Glock 17s highly rated as sniper pistols is the same said for TM G18s?

If so what kind of ranges are people getting? List upgrades/rounds if needed.

Just had a bit of a though for a new PDW weapon. G18 + Hera and various other upgrades...

I had a run through The Mall the weekend before last with a HERA-kitted KWA Glock 19, with a TLR-2s, a tracer unit, and 50rd extended magazines. It was pretty much the perfect gun for semi-auto-only CQB (i.e., nine-tenths of The Mall). The HERA's a bit crude, though; it's basically a big plastic plank.

[EDIT]Plus, there's no cut-out in the HERA for access to the G18C's fire selector - I've seen people hack holes in them, but it's right in the middle of the HERA logo. If you do go for it, I reckon a custom selector with extended levers dropping below the sides of the HERA is the way to go (credit to Sparrowhawk, the gun's owner, for the idea).[/EDIT]

Memesis, looking good, 2x20 perhaps :) and we know that the FAB is well strong enough and rigid.

Are you running a home made holster.

I did some man-sewing to an old 7.62 SLR mag pouch to carry mine about, just nip&tucked to rough shape and size.

Bankz

Unless you really need full auto, find a standard TM G17 or the ported slide G17c as the mag well is worth having, needs fitting and shaping correctly but worth it.

A quality barrel will help, i veer to to 6.03 Nineball.

Stock TM hop rubber is good enough, runs VSR hop rubbers so lots of choice as the purple Nineballs are getting very pricey nowdays.

New piston head will improve gas useage, loads to choose from, i shoehorned a 1911 vented one in mine.

Those few changes will see a gain in gas use, FPS and performance at range.

How far do you want to shoot ?

I shoot .28s flat to 40m in winter, very capable to 50m in summer with .30, have scored hits to 60+ but lobbing of shots and massive amounts of holdover, and walking in of shots.

Effective 40-50meter, can reach further but accuracy drops off, skill and build/condition of pistol come into play. Quite happily double tap players at 50m.

I clean mine lots, sometimes mid game, feed it quality ammo .28 or .30, and have used as many stock TM parts as possible, a strip and inspection and rebuild from new will do wonders even on a TM, honed the hop unit faces, shimmed the inner barrel to fit my sleeved outer barrel, a bit of file work here and a polish job there, tightens up the action.

Like Sniper rifles, theres a bit more than just dropping in awesome parts, blueprinting whats already there can see gains in performance.

Although slightly lacking in some aftermarket parts, the Glock platform is very simple and reliable, and very easy to strip down and work on.

:rvbteam: (me at most games, wade in, big pistol, shoot em up.....then run away)

Jist wanted full auto for the sake of having it, i rarely use it on my other guns. Except for when people annoy me.

Not a good reason to have gas full auto, really you have to make that decision of is it range or full auto that you want in a pistol. Trying to both ends horribly from my experience.

As for what to get, anything that TM have made in the last 5-6 years with a hop, ammo and gas that suits you will be fine, no problem. My TM 1911 is running a stock hop, .23s and Ultra or Green depending on the weather and it is easily capable of doing 30m doubles and 40m hits as it is, beyond that may take 3-4 shots to hit, but that is box stock. :P

'FireKnife'

Shared parts are lower frame, barrel assembly/hop unit, trigger parts.

G18c has a different BBU, piston head (belive it shares that with P226) loading nozzle and hammer mech, the slide is cut for the auto selector. Unsure if slides can cross swap, can't see any one trying it out.

If you want the auto selector for anti-teflon uses, then i would only think about a new 6.03 barrel, new piston head, and quality BBs, that will give you a boost in performance without upsetting all the magic marui pixi dust :)

If you want to push the range, then the less complicated G17 would be better.

I have pushed for range so it becomes a quest for minimal gains, just like with Sniper rifles, the more inside it you get, you "might squeeze" a few more meters of effective range, and a more simple platform is easier for reliabilty.

As per Fireknife, a stock TM pistol, stripped, cleaned, relubed, fed on quality BBs and hop dialled in to perfection will be bang on 30-40meters, and a bit further. I play in large open sites where being effective at 50m is a must, so have pushed my range as much as i can.

If you read back through this thread, there is information on what i have done, also a forum search "IPSC Glocks" or "race gun tuning" should bring up Kunluns thread and my old one, think i deleted photos from the old threads and moved things to here instead.

As has been hinted, you can't have a do it all pistol, decide what you want then tune from that.

Power

Range

Auto selector

Reliablity (TMs are the best on this front, but don't always like some upgrades)

Accuracy ( again TM's are very good stock, but can be improved on)

I went with Reliable and accurate at extreme range, so modded to suit my needs, and have a back up G17 thats stock TM apart from a modded madbull 6.03 barrel, for moments when one semi pistol needs a bit more dual fire power.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not been tooooo long since the last post on here so I feel safe to ask: what are the general views on AEPs for this role?

I'm aware of the following issues: low power, possibly naff batteries etc.

Having said that, would a longer barrel, bigger spring and battery etc take care of the issues and make it viable for longer ranges?

Cheers,

Corkie

You can't quite extend the barrel of those given the volume ratio between cylinder to barrel is stretched out as it is. With a 1J spring it does about 260 and about 290 with all the fps squeezing mod and part conceivable. They're plenty accurate at 20-30m tops but more than that and the bbs are just floating about and can hardly be felt. Unlike on a GBB with the same power output, increasing bb weight doesn't help much (minimal power creep).

+1 with what RC said

to add to that, there are some upgrade parts mainly for TM AEPs, a tighter barrel will see a small gain in FPS and accuracy, but upping the spring rate or upping the voltage will be hit and miss, expect a rapid decrease in the overall lifespan of the AEP if you go down that route, and finding gearbox spares when you want them.

The design is too small/compact/weak to cope with higher stress springs and batterys unlike a AEG gearbox which is bigger and stronger.

You can build an AEP into a nice little quiet full auto short range package, make use of the quieter action and large mags (compared to most GBB pistols)

Unlikely for an AEP to match a GBB for long range use.

And don't worry here about long gaps between posts, there are very few pistol only players out there, there are even fewer long range (sniper pistol) players out there, and this thread is pinned as well. We may go quiet from time to time, but thats because were plotting and watching and planning on how to take down large groups of hi-cap magged AEG players on game days.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I realise this thread is more for snipers who use pistols as primaries, rather than snipers who carry pistols, but I've chucked up a review of a MK23 holster in the gear section that may be of help to those struggling to carry Marui's finest. Those with optics need not apply unfortunately. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can't say my MK23 has seen much action in the last several months,  the G17 is maybe working out better though not as reliable or cold weather friendly as the MK23.

Anyway,  started playing around with DE Shottys and got a 4" Dan Wesson revolver to try and make playable if i can bodge a hop into it so it shoots more than 25meters.

Was looking into the now discontinued PDI piston heads for shottys,  over on www.x-fire.org  PDI's online retail setup.

They are now doing a Raven spec 6.01 drop in fit barrel for TM MK23's  :rifle:   new product !  and just as i was thinking of selling mine.....

No.  (as far as i am aware)

I thought about picking up a DE tightbore because you can get them here in the uk,  around 3mm longer than a MK23, different cut and DE run a different hop rubber.

Couldn't find any hints of anyone fitting a DE barrel into a MK23 and i wasn't about to splash the cash to find out.  I suspect it could be done with recutting,  maybe someone will pop up who has done it.

Think it depends more on being able to fit the DE hop rubber (re-cut barrel)  or being able to use a VSR hop rubber in a DE hop unit (modify rubber to fit)

Anyone near you with a VSR or an old stock VSR barrel to play around with,  anyone upgraded a G-spec near you,  would be ideal to play about with a 303mm barrel.

MK23 shares hop rubber with 1911/2011/Glock/Sigs/VSR

MK23 does not share barrel cuts with above.

Must be a good reason why no ones done it before :)   hopefully cue a flood of links from others.

I have a custom cut barrel (hidden under the suppressor) for my KJW P226 that bumped the FPS up to 400 even.  With a Firefly bucking I was able to accurately hit targets out to 150' with 0.25g.  Loved it.  I just don't have a holster for it though so it rarely sees action...

photo-4_zpsb18d24c3.jpg

I know a MEU isn't really that great of a base for a sniper pistol, but the limits at my field are really damn high and I'm kind of feeling like tuning a TM MEU for high fps and nice accuracy.

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this? I'm probably going to be going for a PDI 6.01 tightbore extending into a 150mm suppressor, metal slide, 150% recoil springs with a nice spring guide, high flow valves, Firefly rocket valve, Nineball airseal bucking with teflon tape, and a "G-Hop" (http://www.tkoverkill.com/showthread.php?tid=1181). Hopefully I can have something like 400-ish fps on .28s or so and be nailing lasers downfield with just a pistol. I know it's going to kill my gas efficiency but it's always 75 degrees or warmer out here and TM has pretty great gas efficiency to start off with so I'm not too worried.

Hopefully I can have something like 400-ish fps on .28s or so and be nailing lasers downfield with just a pistol. I know it's going to kill my gas efficiency but it's always 75 degrees or warmer out here and TM has pretty great gas efficiency to start off with so I'm not too worried.

You do realize that that'd be pushing over 470 FPS with a 0.20g bb, right?  In close, that's just unsafe.

The slide I posted above is a nail driver with 0.25g's, and if someone's outside a 50' range (like I stated, it can fire much further effectively), I'll just laze a few shots on them with my AR instead.

As far as the upgrades you mentioned go, you're spot on to boost your FPS.  My only advice is that you think twice about aiming for an FPS that high.  You'll hit 400 with 0.20g's really easily with an extended barrel, push 425 with enhanced springs and hop up, and hit close to 460 with all the other stuff.  Just remember - as cool as a sniper pistol is, you have to treat it like a proper rifle with regards to MEDs.  Nobody needs to get hurt playing.

For what it's worth, this is the same advice I give all the newer players at my field who want to upgrade their pistols to be like mine.  The basic slide above (tan one) shoots around 365, which is high, but not overly so since I tap two at a plate carrier if I have a shot with it, and never within 10'.  I don't pretend to know you, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're an honorable player (likely since you're on Arnie's).  This post is mostly for kids who may come along later and want to build something ridiculous...

Cheers!

I understand that completely. The engagement distances on my field are incredibly long - even ER-hopped long rifles with .32s shooting 500fps on .2s sometimes fall short - and if I needed to take someone out at close range I'd use a different weapon. 

I'd like to consider myself an honorable player. It's not up to me to judge myself, though. I understand that I probably sounded pretty immature, but for what it's worth I've never shot someone within 50 feet with any of my rifles - I carry around either a Marui 4.3 or a WA S&W M4013, both of which shoot accurately but at low fps for any close engagements. My field has no MED but I still will never shoot anyone with any of my rifles close up, even if it means I get shot.

Regardless I'm glad to hear I'm looking in the right direction. 

I understand that completely. 

I understand that I probably sounded pretty immature...

Regardless I'm glad to hear I'm looking in the right direction. 

Glad to hear it.  I just wanted to be sure you were clear on that haha

Not at all.  Just giving my $0.02 to ya.

And yes, you are.  I suspect you'll have a hell of a gun on your hands when you're done.

Three additional constructive pieces of advice:

1) Buy a very lightweight suppressor.  Any suppressor drags the barrel down on a pistol and hinders the blowback efficiency, so the lighter the better.

2) When you attach that suppressor, use teflon tape to protect your threads and create a tighter fit so it doesn't move.  A bit of blue Loctite wouldn't be a bad idea either. It'll help to reduce vibration in the barrel and should increase accuracy over distance a bit.

3) You can also add a bit of masking tape to the outside of the inner barrel to further reduce barrel vibration.  I've done it to all my pistols, and while I haven't scientifically tested the theory, it seems to have helped, even if it's just in my head.

Good luck mate!

Archived