Battlefield 3

TheFull9

See: movie guns. Also why most movie guns have ridiculous muzzle flash – especially for full auto they have to do heavy powder loads. (but mostly because most directors want giant-*albatross* nasty muzzle flashes).

And so he should.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rifle wouldn't cycle properly if that's what you're getting at, but I was trying to imply that in my previous posts.

You were? Ha, had I got that I probably wouldn't have done all that research :P

See: movie guns. Also why most movie guns have ridiculous muzzle flash – especially for full auto they have to do heavy powder loads. (but mostly because most directors want giant-*albatross* nasty muzzle flashes).

Yeah I thought it was mostly due to the directors...you can get replacement barrels for movies that do the job of a BFA by narrowing after the chamber...

• 3 weeks later...

The latest post on the Battlefield blog.

Hmmm. Not sure about this. Exclusive weapons are fine, as long as they're just different to the other weapons and not better. And many types of shotgun ammo is ace too, but a 'flash suppressor'? Now I'm not fully clued up on what a flash hider like the M4 one pictured there does, but surely just that little piece of metal can't do much to hide the muzzle flash of a gun? And what's an SKS sniper rifle?

Hmmm.

surely just that little piece of metal can't do much to hide the muzzle flash of a gun?

Course it can, that's why there's so many different ones on the market for various weapons (obviously the ARs in the states being the main market). Though the one they've pictured there looks like a model that I think is made by VLTOR for AR-15s, so not really seeing that fitting on to the weapon they mention.

And what's an SKS sniper rifle?

The actual SKS was a Russian WWII semi-auto rifle, I suppose it was kind of the father to the AK-47 in a lot of ways, you can see a fair few similarities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Since we don't actually know what the factions in BF3 mutli-player will be yet it's hard to say whether they've made just given the SVD a fake name or something. But I suppose if one of the sides is an insurgent/taliban type force (in place of the MEC from BF2) then the SKS would sort of make sense for their sniper/recon class. Having the Type 88 in there definitely suggests that we might see the Chinese coming back as well.

The clue is in title. It suppresses the flash by concentrating it in certain directions so your target isn't obscured by a big fireball. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't consider an SKS to be a sniper rifle.

Course it can, that's why there's so many different ones on the market for various weapons (obviously the ARs in the states being the main market). Though the one they've pictured there looks like a model that I think is made by VLTOR for AR-15s, so not really seeing that fitting on to the weapon they mention.

The actual SKS was a Russian WWII semi-auto rifle, I suppose it was kind of the father to the AK-47 in a lot of ways, you can see a fair few similarities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Since we don't actually know what the factions in BF3 mutli-player will be yet it's hard to say whether they've made just given the SVD a fake name or something. But I suppose if one of the sides is an insurgent/taliban type force (in place of the MEC from BF2) then the SKS would sort of make sense for their sniper/recon class. Having the Type 88 in there definitely suggests that we might see the Chinese coming back as well.

OK cool so a flash hider does actually work, I can roll with that. Moar attachments! I really hope you can somehow put a number of attachments on one gun rather than being limited to just one (very MW2-style thinking I know, but I'm sure DICE can come up with a way to balance it...and if they can't, they should force you to choose, not just throw it all in there like IW would do...).

Yeah I know what an SKS is (only adopted post-WW2 wasn't it?) but I thought it was a battle rifle, I was under the impression it was from the same mould as the AK-47 - simple, reliable and cheap, but not too hot on accuracy. Certainly not a sniper rifle in my mind. And if it does become an insurgent recon weapon, please god I hope they come up with a plausible way of putting a scope on it and not cover it in RIS :blink: or not put a scope on at all, might encourage 'recon' players to do their job properly...actually yeah I like the idea of a non-scoped recon weapon...

(You could be right, they might have done what the Bond games did/do and use similar-but-fake names)

Also, the Type 88 is probably in there because it was in BC2. A non-conventional faction (i.e. insurgents) would be cool actually, especially if the team layout/gameplay differed slightly from the US side.

The clue is in title. It suppresses the flash by concentrating it in certain directions so your target isn't obscured by a big fireball. But yeah, I certainly wouldn't consider an SKS to be a sniper rifle.

So it's to help a clear sight picture for the shooter, not to hide his position?

ACK THE DUST.

Yeah, BC2's a pretty dusty game too. I do like how the new destruction doesn't just vanish bits of wall, and the animations are just awesome.

The only bit I didn't like was the (very) short part where you see some soldiers jumping off a cliff, seems a little too like something that would happen in CoD...in fact didn't they do that in Black Ops?

I Cannot wait for this game. Im Very tempted to buy 3 copies (PC/360/PS3) to cover all my bases.

Haha, yeah I'm seriously considering pre-ordering it on 360 and PC...PC so I can marvel at it's beauty, at 5 fps, and 360 so I can actually play it :P

Aha, a fit blonde that likes games, this'll reel in the viewers...

But digs aside, just watched the full 17 minutes and I'm extremely glad I did, lots of little clips in there that haven't been released before. The animations demo with the US soldier would've been taken in multi-player I'd guess and that looked amazing, not just the animations themselves but when you compare it to BF2 the quality of the visuals is just excellent. I think all the character models in BF2 were a bit too thin or vertically stretched, that guy just seemed so much more fleshed out, a lot more of a presence in the game world.

Also, even if it was Pre-Alpha, the new Karkand is looking awesome. I'm not a fan of Wake myself but it is popular so I can see why they'd bring that back, Oman was absolutely quintessential BF2, but the thing I'm happiest about is seeing Sharqi in there with the package. I didn't end up playing it as much due to the server rotations (lots more 24/7 Karkand) but I always felt it was just as good. All the close up urban fighting but with much more variety do it, much more of a vertical element what with the crane, the raised areas around the construction site and all the unfinished buildings; that and the aircraft you had to contend with, always a fun challenge.

The MEC maps loading music? Oh yeah. I mean I turned all the menu music off after a while, but still, spent a lot of time listening to that song. Always remember that, bar going along, telling you each bit it was loading, getting stuck on 62% for ages if you'd changed your graphics settings, and then finally that big old 'Play Now' button coming up and the screen going from very dark to ridiculously bright all of a sudden as it transitioned from the map briefing over to a spectator view of the desert and the kit selection screen, good times.

The animations demo with the US soldier would've been taken in multi-player I'd guess and that looked amazing, not just the animations themselves but when you compare it to BF2 the quality of the visuals is just excellent.

Agreed, this game is looking so good!

The MEC maps loading music? Oh yeah. I mean I turned all the menu music off after a while, but still, spent a lot of time listening to that song. Always remember that, bar going along, telling you each bit it was loading, getting stuck on 62% for ages if you'd changed your graphics settings, and then finally that big old 'Play Now' button coming up and the screen going from very dark to ridiculously bright all of a sudden as it transitioned from the map briefing over to a spectator view of the desert and the kit selection screen, good times.

Yes! So I'm not the only person whose loading bar always sticks at 62%! :D Thought it was just my PC...also did anyone ever use the 'Play Now' or 'Play Online' or whatever it was called? Looked good, promised to put you straight into an online game...in theory. The first time I ever played BF2 I made the mistake of clicking it...half an hour later I had to Alt-F4 the game as it still couldn't find a server xD

Btw, best loading music is still this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX-3b1DK-4s

Kinnerley you just gave me a huge nostalgia bump there :(

Me too, I still have it installed, I just went and played some Karkand :D the only thing that annoys me is the constant mortar-like bombardment of frags. Apart from that, still golden! :P

lol @ carryhandle

but um he seems to have no barrel in his sidearm? :o

Exactly, M4 assembled completely wrong and a pistol with no barrel in it! (The slide movement didn't exactly look smooth either...)

God, I remember watching that video when it was released on the run up to Dragon Rising coming out, so so cringe'y.

It's terrible, that last bit is just so unnecessary and so wooden on his part.

I saw an interview with that guy before Red River came out.

He got worse. Combination of massive wannabe (and that's coming from an airsofter!) and knowing absolutely nothing.

Watching the interviews/developer videos with him mostly makes me want to cry/hit him. Codemasters make good racing games, and they should leave it at that. They are slowly ruining the OFP series. In one of the Red River interivews he said something along the lines of 'it's authentic, but it's not a sim, it's about fun' then talked some rubbish about CoD/BF...hello! OFP is a sim, that's the whole point. If it's not, it's just another mediocre shooter, which is exactly what their games have become. It's a shame because a proper sim with a shiny new engine and good graphics would have been awesome.

[/rant]

If you contrast that to the EA Dice team making Battlfield 3, where they employ a guy to shoot real ammo on a range all day to model it into the game (lucky mother-*fruitcage*!), it's pretty shoddy considering Op Flash is meant to be a sim.

Did they do that?

Archived