Battlefield 3

TheFull9

After watching the fault line vid I can't help but think how bog standard the gameplay looks... The only interesting stuff that happens is all cutscene/set pieces (e.g IED punch up). That said, good multiplayer with a great selection of vehicles and I won't even touch the single player campaign.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the above tbh.

Just another CoD clone, with easy gameplay, OTT amount of kills, lack of stratergy, linear gameplay, highly scripted levels and that same old annoying lack of recoil. But alas, I will buy it, play it, get a rush from it, enjoy it and then sell it (after umpteen hours of MP gameplay). So, I cant complain!

Also, Isnt anyone else sick to death of playing as the USMC? Or is that just me..

I agree with the above tbh.

Just another CoD clone, with easy gameplay, OTT amount of kills, lack of stratergy, linear gameplay, highly scripted levels and that same old annoying lack of recoil. But alas, I will buy it, play it, get a rush from it, enjoy it and then sell it (after umpteen hours of MP gameplay). So, I cant complain!

Also, Isnt anyone else sick to death of playing as the USMC? Or is that just me..

I have to admit, i was glad when Captain USA died in COD4 so you could concentrate on the SAS missions as they were much more enjoyable. But unfortunately, i doubt the US being main focus of war based FPSs will ever change.

The SAS aspect of CoD4 was nice. (forgetting MF:2) and I would like more, but, I dont expect it change. I dont mind usually, I just find the whole USMC thing kinda boring now. Let me be a ranger or a British Para..

Then again, I always do prefer the SF aspect of shooters, like GRAW.

I have to admit, i was glad when Captain USA died in COD4 so you could concentrate on the SAS missions as they were much more enjoyable. But unfortunately, i doubt the US being main focus of war based FPSs will ever change.

I quite liked the marine missions in CoD4, the SAS missions were far superior tho, BUT in MW2 the Rangers mission were FAR FAR FAR SUPERIOR to the task force 141 pit of mediocrity they INSISTED on burdening you with.

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/battlefield3-interview

Absolutely awesome read, and I love this statement below:

"Do you feel the consoles are holding PC games back?"

"Yes, absolutely. That's the biggest problem we have today. Most games are actually still based on the same core idea that the consoles are your focus, the superior platform or something. I don’t know why. That was the truth 5 years ago, but the world has moved on. PCs are way more powerful than the consoles today and there are actually almost zero games out there that actually use the benefits of this. So for our target of what we want to hit, we are now using the more powerful platform to try and prove what we see gaming being in the future rather than using the lowest common denominator, instead of developing it for the consoles and then just adding higher resolution textures and anti-aliasing for the PC version. We're do it the other way around, we start with the highest-end technology that we can come up with and then scale it back to the consoles."

A-freakin'-men brother.

EDIT: He also mentions Co-Op Campaign. Yay.

consoles = sales (HUUUGE sales compare Black Ops on pc and on the consoles) and fixed specs tho, the biggest problem with the pc gaming sector is the HUNDREDS of hardware configurations out there plus the fact that the majority of 'gaming' rigs are OLD (two years or older), XP is still the biggest gaming OS and MS are planning to stop supporting it (if they haven't already).

Plus a lot of people either will not or CANNOT afford to upgrade every 6 months so designing a game for uber expensive ultra high end machines is pointless.

Hey I'm not denying games look better on pc's, they look awesome, BUT it's not the core market any more. (Atleast in terms of sales) So yeah, good on dice for prioritising the people with powerful PC's, as long as they don't compromise on the other versions

Hmm.. the version of myself from 5 years ago that played BF2 to death says yes it'll definitely be awesome and give me everything I've wanted since I stopped playing BF2. But the other parts of me says that whatever the nice DICE employees may tell us in interviews, they still work for EA and EA knows where the money is, we shall have to wait and see I suppose.

There's a lot of people talking about the SP right now because that's obviously that's all they've shown, but I think the reality of the finished product will be an 8'ish hour hollywood blast offline and then a massive MP game which will be the bit that people think back to when they think of BF3 years from now. I certainly hope so anyway, I mean at this point we still have no idea with regards some of the most crucial points, will it just be the now-standard 2 sides, or will they put in the effort and add a third? How big will the maps really be? What will the squad features (voip, air drops, order markers on the 3d map etc) be and how will the new points work, can they improve on BC2's reward system as much as BC2 did over BF2? There's no commander any more which rather removes a bit of the strategic element, will they make up for that with something else? They're not the coolest most interesting questions but it's that sort of stuff that truly makes a game.

Well that's what I'm hoping at the moment given what details we know so far, but there's absolutely nothing concrete yet so I'm not putting any money down on the table.

The draw back of that is will all the lovely destructable objects that Frostbite engines use, 64 player maps (of the size of those in BF2) are going to take some major CPU/GPU grunt

Well I'd like at least one properly big one with the old USS whatever-it-was to launch beach landings from because I loved Gulf of Oman, but I'm pretty much with you on that one. I'd need sharqi peninsula as well; but then again I don't think we have to worry cause I've got £20 right here that's saying both of those maps will be in the 'Return to Karkand' bonus content pack (i.e. second-hand sales deterrent pack, as it should be known).

Will prone-spamming be gone like it usually is in BF2142?

Anyway, I think BF2 still has some life in it:

250sx.jpg

Yo BF3, Ima let u finish... but BF2 is going up to 250 players(not really, but 128 is good enough for now).

Just watched the 12 min video and I have some issues. Why in the world doesnt he hit the bolt release when he reloads instead of pulling the charging handle? And the selector on the m4 was also set to semi auto.

We did discuss this earlier, it's a bit wrong admittedly but they've still progressed a fair amount of BF2. These are now separate animations for reloads when all empty empty and when still having rounds in the mag, and while it's not really ideal power-stroking the gun would at least work, didn't get that in previous BF games; and you'll also notice they've implemented 30 + 1 in the chamber which is nice. The selector is probably just something they haven't fixed yet seeing as the video is from an alpha version of the game, none of the other characters actually had optics or rear iron sights so there's obviously a fair bit of work still to be done by DICE.

He means the dolphin diving script kiddies, using code to exploit the fact that while transitioning between stances you were damn near impossible to hit, never mind kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_snSNg7MPE

^like that minus the godawful music, if you did/do this DIE IN PAIN YOU LITTLE B**T**D!

Bahaha, ya that's what I'd though he meant. I always though it was weird to see people jump and go prone in mid-air. I like that Battlefield allows you to do what I would consider normal things without being flamed to death. I play COD rarely, and when I do people just rage at you for "camping" just because you aren't running around and shooting constantly. Hell, I know people that *badgeress* about people going prone in COD. What the hell man?

The thing is tho, CoD's most popular game mode ISN'T objective based (therefore stopping moving/hiding in a corner with ghost and a silencer, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE YOU LITTLE GITS! = camping), battlefield is (stopping moving near an objective = holding an objective)

BUT, the big issue is going to be spawn protection, I DO NOT WANT to see a tank sitting in our or the enemies spawn blowing people into sushi as that is NOT FAIR GAMEPLAY, like the spawn campign little swine in homefront who NEVER attempt to take objectives. You enter our uncappable spawn area = DEAD, you fire into our uncappable spawn = NO EFFECT, and none of this 15 second timer BS either, INSTANT DEATH.

Archived