Battlefield 3

TheFull9

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think the P90 was the only SMG worth using. For all other purposes the DAO-12 was king.

Slow to reload, but brutally effective at close range.

God yes. A favorite tactic of mine was to wound people with the pistol at a distance, then close the gap and open up with the DAO.

The medic class was -evil- with the G36K. The medic was a true infantry killer. SpecOps was also awesome (red-dot M4 and C4), but assault was very blah.

Oh, and Support class's PKM - the 100-round magazine, semi-auto iron-sighted M24 with unlimited ammo. BAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHHAHH

After watching that vid, I question the tactical aspects of building a sniper nest on the side of a building that has what looks to be barely any support structures and barely secured signboard letters. It looks almost like a building in process of construction.

"So, where should we put our sniper nest?"

"Right up there, underneath the weakened L letter on that hotel."

"Brilliant!"

Furthermore, I wonder how many shots the AI would have taken before it hits you if you just stood up.:D

Surely if the building was in good condition it'd actually be in active use? So therefore would you not kind of have a problem sneaking in a huge sniper rifle? A construction site seems like a far more likely choice for an Iraqi insurgent/rebel, to me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Fault Line Episode 3, hot off the press:

http://www.ea.com/uk/battlefield3/videos/battlefield-3-fault-line-episode-3

Whoo, deployable bi-pods, it's only been like 10 years since America's Army 1.0 did that. I hope the next animation after that little-bird shoots its' load is the bloke reaching inside his vest for a hot casing.

Looking forward to mid-april, hope that's when they finally show off the multi-player.

Looks cool! Love the crawling around in the ducts, animations really are a joy to behold...I simply have to build a PC that can run this on full settings...

Only nit pick from me is that the M240 had a 200 round mag...is that realistic?

Also, I hope that first-person melee combat is at least semi-interactive, rather than just quicktime events.

200 rounds of linked 7.62x51 takes up the space of a conventional H83/M2A1 ammo tin chopped in half long ways, i.e. an H84 which is a bit like one of these:

Box_025_T.jpg

Whether the US has a drum mag for the 240 that's big enough I don't actually know, but it's possible; they do tend to use drums on their MGs whereas our guys carry around loose belts. You'd just have to be seriously strong to be able to shoulder and fire a GPMG with 200 rounds slung under it, and the way the bloke in the game is dancing around with it... well, sufficed to say it's BF and they've always taken a bit of artistic licence in order to make things fun, which is fine because they don't take it too far. How not-cool would the game be if you looked at the gun on the floor and when you pressed F your bloke just says 'hell no man, that thing's way too damn heavy'.

And I'd say that fist fight in there was just a cut-scene.

Looks like they have been investing plenty of time on the Single Player story mode for this one, rather than just an afterthought, as often appears to be the case for some games. Still keen to see the Multiplayer modes in action, doubt it'll bring me back to XBOX online but I'll certinaly be trying it out on the PC.

Looks like they have been investing plenty of time on the Single Player story mode for this one, rather than just an afterthought, as often appears to be the case for some games. Still keen to see the Multiplayer modes in action, doubt it'll bring me back to XBOX online but I'll certinaly be trying it out on the PC.

Of course, why miss out on the 64 player madness that console users will be

200 rounds of linked 7.62x51 takes up the space of a conventional H83/M2A1 ammo tin chopped in half long ways, i.e. an H84 which is a bit like one of these:

Box_025_T.jpg

Whether the US has a drum mag for the 240 that's big enough I don't actually know, but it's possible; they do tend to use drums on their MGs whereas our guys carry around loose belts. You'd just have to be seriously strong to be able to shoulder and fire a GPMG with 200 rounds slung under it, and the way the bloke in the game is dancing around with it... well, sufficed to say it's BF and they've always taken a bit of artistic licence in order to make things fun, which is fine because they don't take it too far. How not-cool would the game be if you looked at the gun on the floor and when you pressed F your bloke just says 'hell no man, that thing's way too damn heavy'.

And I'd say that fist fight in there was just a cut-scene.

OK literally no idea what a H84 is but I get the idea of how big/heavy 200 rounds would be...yeah tbh DICE do tweak things, not a problem, anything around 100-200 rounds qualifies as 'MG=lotsa bullets'. Who's to say that gunner didn't choose to carry a belt that big?

No, definitely not a cut scene, look carefully in the bottom corner of the screen, there are little prompts telling you to click the mouse buttons. I suspect just quicktime events. Be nice if there was more to it though.

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer, most of it is a 'remix' from the 3 Fault line episodes with some cool slo-mo and an acoustic sort of version of a game which (I think??) is by the Game. Best bit however, near the end we get our first couple of glimpses inside the vehicles, definitely an M1A2 in there (big surprise eh?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfrrAp1blaM

... hm? So you'd rather the game was dull and samey and didn't try to push the technology envelope?

It's not like they're throwing bloody magic and dragons in there, earthquakes happen, cliffs exist, and whether a bunch of marines have ever jumped off one I don't know but I don't particularly care either, it's hardly impossible and it's just cool. If you want an uber-simulator, carry on playing ArmA, battlefield isn't about that level of realism (thank goodness).

Honestly all I care about is the MP and if there will be mods available such as PR.

The SP modes since COD4 have been like playing a hollywood movie, while it is cool, it doesn't really light up my candle. I just think that there are other ways to show off the frostbite 2. COD4 had a (COOL) nuke in it and I guess this is the BF3's answer to it.

Sorry for ruining your parade here but ArmA 2 is too much even for me. the PR mod for BF2 is perfect balance between something like MW2 and ARMA.

Realistically though, if you watch the trailers released so far the vast majority of it is more down-to-earth and realistic (in terms of the scenarios anyway). Just because they throw in a couple of Hollywood parts doesn't mean that's what it'll be like the whole way through, from what we've seen I think most of the SP campaign will be a lot more grounded than those brief crazy moments at the end of the last trailer.

Hopefully they cut it like cutscenes - it wouldn't be a BF game without a *suitcase* ton of vehicles.

That said, it's claimed that the last video they posted is only 4 of 5, the last one being the whole Fault Line video with dev commentary, which I actually want to see.

Time to build a beast PC to run this. :)

Archived