"All Stations, this is Zero..."

Slasher

If you know these words...

"All Stations, this is Zero... I have control... Standby... Standby... Go!"

...you know what happens next!

It has been a long time coming but in August a NEW AIRSOFT MAGAZINE will be kicking down doors and hitting newstands in the UK!

I can't give you too much intel yet, as the final plans are well and truly under wraps - but be assured that you will be amongst the first to know.

In the meantime, if you have any thoughts and/or comments, you are welcome to PM me.

Keep safe.

Slasher out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there was I thinking there was no GO! :)

Yes.. please tell us something about this new mag for us to be overly optimistic/pessimistic/sarcastic about. Even telling us it's name might be a good start and if it's going to be a newsstand type or a mag that is only availible online/thru airsoft shops.

Dont go copy and pasting articles from wikipedia.....That would be a good start....And don't just advertise ONE company EG Recon rag with "HURRR airsoft world is da best come get your two one airsoft gun which looks like a spade from the beach"

And you might just get some interest ...

But on that note if its anything to do with zero one then just ...lol

Dont go copy and pasting articles from wikipedia.....That would be a good start....And don't just advertise ONE company EG Recon rag with "HURRR airsoft world is da best come get your two one airsoft gun which looks like a spade from the beach"

So basically don't become like Airsoft International or don't be a magazine that is run by a single (*suitcase*) retailer like Airsoft World.

If this does turn out to be a Zero One magazine i am going to start laughing.

'FireKnife'

Thanks for all the initial comments...

No, it's not owned by Zero 1 (or any other Airsoft Company for that matter) and no, I won't be lifting swathes of Wikipedia and passing it off as my own and YES it is an independent publication.

The reason I can't give you the real name for now is simply that, until it is actually out there, the title is not Legally protected and we do not intend to go the way of others, who have had their launches bellittled by silly "spoiling tactics".

What I can tell you is that the Publishing Company behind it already has seven very successful publications, one of which won the "Magazine Oscar" last year for best new mag - so they know what they are doing and have the financial strength to do it!

It will be distributed via WH Smith and all the regular outlets, plus Independent Newsagents, Airsoft Shops and Sites. There will also be online and iPad versions and, of course, there will be Subscriptions available.

As to the content, it will will be a mix of everything that has anything to do with airsoft, written by people who are respected for their understanding of the subject they are writing about and (wherever appropriate/legal/possible), written by people who have "done it for real".

As you would expect, it will include site and equipment reviews and again, these will be conducted by people who are experienced in their respective fields and can offer an objective summary of their findings. Reviews will be done in situations that are relevant to the kit being reviewed, for example, Desert Boots will be reviewed by wearing them in a desert, not slugging up and down some boggy, British hillside!

Of course we will work with Airsoft Companies and I mean ALL Airsoft Companies, not just a chosen few but, as in all things, there are those Companies who are always more forthcoming with their support (keeping us up to date with their News, providing items for review, letting us know when there is a special event coming up etc.) and so are likely to appear more often than those who don't - but that is just the way of things and doesn't mean they "own" the mag.

It is my belief that the most important people "in Airsoft" are YOU - the players - and that is something I will never forget!

Without players Airsoft wouldn't exist (a stupid thing to say, but true nonetheless) which is why you will see me out on site, not posing in the latest Gucci kit but getting down and dirty with you, talking with you and maybe taking the odd photo or twenty! I do have one favour to ask in that respect... The word "PRESS" stands out pretty well in most situations, please don't use it for Target Practice, 'coz I'll be attached to it!

So there you go, a little more intel to add to what you already know.

I am doing a Site Review tomorrow (no names, no pack-drill) with one of my photographers, so maybe I'll see you out there (bring your ponchos, I think we're going to need them!). If you spot me, come and have a chat. I'm looking for a killer Front Cover picture for Issue One, so you never know, it could be you...

I'll give you more info when I can.

Slasher out.

As long as it has more content than AI, it'll be an improvement, also none of those rubbish "reviews that are realy adverts" like it has in there!

Do we really want to read about some one changing the O rings on a shotgun over the course of three months? No! Suffice to say I've stopped buying that mag now, the "So you want to be wearing multicam" article was the final straw!!!

I prefer reading magazines in paper form to online ones, if this one is good I WILL buy it, about time there was a decent mag out there!

It wouldn't be hard to beat AI, let's be honest. All their reviews (for 'reviews' read plagiarism) consisted of bigging-up terrible, unreliable guns that they obviously hadn't actually done any proper research in to. Considering how many of their readers probably hadn't been in to the sport very long, that's a practice I'd put in to the 'plain bloody wrong' category.

God and all those 'So you want to be sas1337deltaRang3rs?' were just... terrible. I mean they were selling this rag for money and they were doing about 1/20th as good a job as so many folks on this forum do, considering they post up their pictures of load-outs they've built purely for their own enjoyment.

I look forward to seeing the first issue of this, I hope it's as good as it could potentially be. I often find myself thinking "print magazines really have had their day by now" but then just sometimes it is very handy having something to read where the battery's not going to run out.

So long as you can sell this without falling into:

1. Being full of adverts, especially for shops that are *suitcase*

2. Being full of reviews that have nothing but bias towards the shop that proved you with the gun

3. Being full of other peoples work that you don't give credit for (worse thing AI have done)

Then all will be well and i am sure your magazine will sell.

'FireKnife'

With such a wealth of information already available to us, via various forums and websites, it must be quite a task for a monthly publication to keep up with current trends and discuss new topics. We as a group really are spoilt for choice in regards to how and when we digest our Airsoft related knowledge but I'm always keen to see something new and I still enjoy reading magazines when away from the interweb.

I note an iPad version was mentioned also so I would keen to hear more on that. Cost may be an issue with this however, if it was to be the same as the printed magazine then I'd most likely not bother with it.

Good luck.

So long as you can sell this without falling into:

1. Being full of adverts, especially for shops that are *suitcase*

The problem is nearly ALL magazine are build on advertising... There would not be a single newspaper out there, if there would not be companies that invest in advertising...

Sure if you are in the position, you can choose your ads in a degree... but let's be honest... the airsoft business is not that rich, as there would be too many companies that want to advertise with a new airsoft magazine...

one more problem is, that even if the magazine's target group are experienced airsoft player... to reach a specific amount of sold issues, the magazine will always have to be sold via the public market and so it will always have to be adressed to to newbies, kids or whatever.... and this market is specialy interesting for advertising cheap airsoft stuff...

just my two cents ;)

<rant>Folk moaning about adverts, don't buy it, just stfu, walk away, leave this thread alone, advert content pays for the printing of the magazine and the financial raping the likes of WH Smith do when selling the magazine, that includes the two tone seller or the retailer you don't like, so too much adverts is the stupidest gripe ever, get a clue, I want lots of adverts, but I want content to be equal or greater so it isn't lost in the adverts</rant>

Good luck with the endeavour, I'll have a look but like most things the internet covers it, AI for all it's faults is out there living it large, some of us may shun it, I've NEVER found any of their articles useful or remotely interesting, but I don't whine about it, I just don't buy it, but a lot of folk do, it will have done a lot of for UK Airsoft growth, I hope this mag kicks the poodoo out of it :D

<rant>Folk moaning about adverts, don't buy it, just stfu, walk away, leave this thread alone, advert content pays for the printing of the magazine and the financial raping the likes of WH Smith do when selling the magazine, that includes the two tone seller or the retailer you don't like, so too much adverts is the stupidest gripe ever, get a clue, I want lots of adverts, but I want content to be equal or greater so it isn't lost in the adverts</rant>

My issus is balance. Advertising revenue does make up a huge portion of the magazine but the issue is when a magazine is taken over by its advertising, an issue that AI suffers from where it has pretty much become entirely adverts by even making the reviews sound like extended adverts for the latest gun at the shop they sponsor.

So long as you can keep that balance between your advertising and your other content consistent and not change it i am sure many more people will buy it than other such magazines.

However so long as the magazine is honest about the reviews and give credit where credit is due, along with actually responding to the will of your readers and not your sponsors then it will be the top seller in the UK by a country mile. The only reason many people buy AI is that they are in the top spot as they are the only monthly and i expect them to play very dirty to keep this position considering what i have read from previous issues.

'FireKnife'

I don't have a problem with adverts, OK AI has a lot of them but I quite like seeing what's out there. The thing I have a problem with is where they do an "Article" which is actually an advert and don't say "this feature is an advertisment" like they're supposed to? (At least I think they are)

Hopefully the guys from the new magazine will see what people don't like about AI and do something different.

It'd be nice to see a proper review, it really is hard to find a decent one, on youtube all the "Reviews" are just some fat kid showing you what's in the box of his latest gun. I want to know how the gun performs, how durable it is, any problems that the user has ecountered.

The writers of AI should have a look at a proper magazine for a different hobby and how profesional other magazines are

This topic is about a new magazine - not AI. The publishers of AI have reported this thread and I've appropriately moderated things. This has included removing the posts that derailed this topic.

The main objection was to someone stating that a specific retailer influenced their reviews for gain. AI asked that a quick response was put up to say that the publishers of AI won't accept lies or slander about their product to be made on public forums and according to their staff the retailer that's been mentioned as having a link to AI has never advertised in their publications.

Obviously there's a difference between stating an opinion about someone or something and posting the same information as fact that then falls into the mayhem of legal slander.

In general: Please do NOT needlessly slag people off in the forums, please DO not derail threads pointlessly into "we hate such-and-such", please do not use the forum to express your own personal opinions as fact.

This is entirely frustrating from my own point of view, as this is entirely needless. If anyone has facts that would stand up to legal scrutiny about a matter then by all means publish them in a suitable form somewhere, but until then do keep in mind that if someone was to come to the staff/forums asking for member's details in relation to a pending civil or criminal court case they would be given. Posts that boil down to "my best mate told me over a beer that he heard someone else say.. " will simply get people into trouble.

This is a well read forum and by no means entirely private, opinion is valued, thoughts are cherished, ideas are welcome, *chaffinch* chat is brilliant - defamation/libel/slander is not welcome. Further posts off-topic will be removed, offenders will be warned and then banned.

This is not an angry post, it's as simple as "this is needless, certain people should know better, and this is creating legwork where none should be needed". Play fair, be nice, respect others.

I agree. I look forward to seeing the new magazine

As do i.

Apologize for the AI stuff, it is being sorted out off forum. I don't want anything to come back to the forum and i am sorry for anything that does, as i said i don't mention names or individuals.

'FireKnife'

Btw I've missed the edit window so I'll just add, I think airsoft needs more magazines, not less- if people aren't happy with the content of certain publications, it's far better for there to be competition and a reason for them to up their game than for them to keep going as normal... my 2p anyway.

Put naked women inside fornicating with guns and the magazines will sell.

Top shelf airsoft hummm :P

Well i don't think we will be seeing that in a UK new stand anytime soon.

However i do hope that the option to allow actual readers (not sons / mates / other family / work colleagues) is allowed with honest opinions as that is one issue many mags fall into were they oly get the same people to review things and it makes them feel stale.

'FireKnife'

Archived