WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

On 6/23/2018 at 12:25 AM, renegadecow said:

This is with regards to the AKS74U? If so, the lower handguard retainer is too high by about a millimeter. Have not tried changing out the retainer but what I did instead was modify the handguard itself to sit lower by removing some material at the bottom and adding material on top.

Yea. It's for the AKS-74u. I'll change out the lower handguard retainer soon. In any case I decided to re-do the barrel on my AK-74MN conversion. I was not really comfortable with the 2-piece barrel solution I came up with. So I ordered a WE AK PMC barrel and pinned the gas block. The AK PMC barrel is a tad too long so I'm going to chop the barrel a bit and find a 74 FSB with threads or buy a real steel one. Here's my WE rifles next to their real steel counterparts.

IMG_20180626_165625.jpg

IMG_20180626_165638.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

Sooo... I have finally "completed" my WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build and I am feeling pretty dang good about it :D

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, straight, raised, left side.

y4gzlEi.png

http://i.imgur.com/y4gzlEi.png

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, straight, raised, right side.

dzF5ea2.png

http://i.imgur.com/dzF5ea2.png

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, angled, raised, left side.

Z8iVTRb.png

http://i.imgur.com/Z8iVTRb.png

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, angled, raised, right side.

DPL1LmA.png

http://i.imgur.com/DPL1LmA.png

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, angled, flat, magazine out, left side.

tnRPvyN.png

http://i.imgur.com/tnRPvyN.png

WE AK-74UN MAGPUL custom build, angled, flat, magazine out, right side.

uhIY3QO.png

http://i.imgur.com/uhIY3QO.png

Build Parts List
Base gun: WE AK-74UN GBBR
Receiver: WE AK-47 PMC
Hop up rubber: Maple Leaf Autobot 60DG (Yellow)
Muzzle brake: PTSxGriffin Armament M4SD Paladin muzzle brake (CCW)
RMR mount: Hephaestus Mount Base for AKS-74U / AKMSU Series
RMR sight: Ace 1 Arms RMR style red dot sight
Hand guard: MAGPUL MOE AKM AK47/AK74 (black)
Magazine (internals): WE AK-47 PMC
Magazine (external): MAGPUL MOE PMAG 30 AK/AKM 7.62x39mm (black)
Pistol grip: MAGPUL MOE AK AK47/AK74 (black)
Stock: MAGPUL MOE AK AK47/AK74 (black)

Full build details can be found in the Projects thread over here: 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I've observed wobble on pretty much every rifle I've handled with some being only a few months old. Sometimes though the kind of handguard installed can either help hide or make the wobble more pronounced but you can still observe it easily enough looking down the sights while pushing on the handguard/barrel side to side.

Edited by renegadecow
On 11/20/2018 at 10:38 AM, renegadecow said:

I've observed wobble on pretty much every rifle I've handled with some being only a few months old. Sometimes though the kind of handguard installed can either help hide or make the wobble more pronounced but you can still observe it easily enough looking down the sights while pushing on the handguard/barrel side to side.

Weird, just checked ours with the handguards off and there's literally zero wobble, and they have about 4 years of use. The only one that has is because the owner pushed the pin in the wrong direction + he's using a RPK-length, full steel barrel extension.  Which I'm totally gonna fix with this technique, so thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought a WELL G74D (AK74M), out of curiosity, and in my country its not a regular import.

Overall, its not bad.  Thought it was gonna be pretty bad, turns out it came with a few good surprises. Following from the previous reviews listed here on the WELL G74A (AKS74U).  Picking it up:

- It has creaky plastic imitation wood, the whole front section wobbles like a flag pole in the wind.  Its a flat black painted, with an aluminium barrel that has been surprisingly well made that has the early heat dissipating threads.

- It has a Steel based AEG receiver and barrel trunnion from a CYMA/JG AK.  The receiver has a rectangular cut for a motor cage, but it hasn't been cut all the way.  However the WELL pistol grip covers the rectangular cut.  (More on this later)

- Front sight is of a CYMA design

- It has a Marui gas tube/ rear sight block, and a marui based stock trunion, with the creaky imitation wood.  It can take only take wood kits that fit the original Marui systems. 

- It had trouble fitting WE AK47 mags without mods.

- It was full of grease, which was everywhere.  Basically out of the box the barrel was so dirty it was impossible to get consistent accuracy.  Spent hours degreasing it afterwards.

- The inner barrel is of a VSR cut, but fitted for the WE hop unit.  After degreasing the rifle is relatively accurate.

- It chronos at around 340-360fps with a 17" inner barrel with a WE AK47 mag @ 18*C, (the gun came with a CO2 Mag).   Blowback is similar to a WE, except its slower.

- The blowback unit is a low output power unit compared with the WE.  That can be easily remedied.  After some modifications the blowback unit is now outputting 460fps @ 18*C.

- The blowback unit O-ring is not undersized as some reviews have been suggesting.  It is actually oversized, no further work is required.

- The trigger unit is a replica of the WE, except it looks more heavy duty. 

- The hammer, semi-auto sear and gas release striker is steel, everything else is zamak.  Quite a nice surprise there.  However the area on the hammer which engages the auto-sear has a really shallow cut and leads to partial engagement of the auto-sear.  This leads to light striking on full auto.

Basically, after a few hours of work, by: '

- Degreasing everything

- Chopping the inner barrel down to 16", added an AK47 thread nut

- Modifying the trigger box to fit AK47 mags 

- Modifying the height which the mags engaged to the blowback unit, in order to get better gas route seal

- Shimming the outer barrel to barrel trunnion

- Chopping the recoil spring

- Cutting a deeper engagement area on the hammer for the auto-sear.

- Reinforcing the trigger box

- Chopping the flute valve spring to release less gas.

Now I have an AKM at 460fps with stuff all cooldown.  More pictures to follow.

Now, since it uses standard AEG style receiver cuts, has anyone considered using a WELL to converted a JG/CYMA RPK to a GBB?

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Like 1

IMG_20181204_220028_HHT.thumb.jpg.3be4edc7f86870e0e302582c64916a9b.jpg

Above is a WE AK PMC, Below is the WELL

IMG_20181204_220010_HHT.thumb.jpg.dde277fc5c82f295cc64fa84980a2d4c.jpg

Uses the traditional AK47 front sight, gas block and furniture.  I added the AK47 thread protector (removed the AK74 muzzle break)

IMG_20181204_215958_HHT.thumb.jpg.4e494efdd7fd3db1b01d477c9febf1a3.jpg

Side by side comparison

IMG_20181204_220946.thumb.jpg.4e0d14e6f530009a74111e3fd73e06ea.jpg

Note rear sight block and gas tube, reminiscent of marui AKs.

IMG_20181204_220117.thumb.jpg.7e3b9f1bc772989be73a55702fe23ced.jpg

Note triggers, the white putty is reinforcement added by me to strengthen the trigger box.

IMG_20181204_220059.thumb.jpg.f537ec7f6db49deb3ec0797d1c756551.jpg

Note the rectangular cut, similar to AEG receiver, but not quite.  The pistol grip covers up the hole quite nicely.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n
  • Like 1

At long last I've finished my Well G74A build (sorry for the poor photo, taken with a mobile phone), the parts fitted are:-

1. 5KU AK to M4 Adaptor fitted with Nuprol AXE stock - hinge pin hole had to be drilled out to 4.76 (3/16") because the Well hinge pin is 4.67mm dia. Also stuck a small piece of flat rubber sheet (0.7MM thk) to the rear trunnion to take up play in the stock adaptor when locked in position.

2. Command Arms G47 grip - Fixing hole in the grip had to be enlarged to allow it to fit over the threaded spigot on the receiver, material removed from the front of the grip so that it would fit around the trigger guard. A plastic spacer was also made to cover the rectangular cut out in the receiver.

3. ACM replica of the Surefire M83U handguards - Material had to be removed from the inside rear faces of the top section to permit the installation of the rear gas tube cap & material removed from the front location shoulder so that it would fit the front upper handguard retainer. The lower handguard retainer also needed some small recesses filed into the top to allow it to clear the upper handguard.

4. Ares VZ.58 Czech Long Flash Hider - 14mm anti clockwise thread tapped deeper to allow it to screw all the way on. I also cut the inner barrel down to suit.

Since finishing this build I've started another project using the full length Well G74B (AK74MN) but there is an issue with the rear trunnion rivets. The rivet that goes through the side rail and into the rear trunnion is slightly loose, does anyone know how it can be reset ?

IMG_20181202_002851028.jpg

1 hour ago, Dimitri MdP said:

I've removed the side rail for the RPK project, so had to replace the rivet with a round head screw and two nuts. There was no way in hell I could get the proper rivets and tooling in my area.
Then I filled the screw slot with epoxy and painted it. Looks pretty much like a rivet.

That's a good idea, what type and size of screw did you use ? I may try the screw option if I can't figure out a way of re-setting the rivet. Yesterday I produced some drawings of rivet jaws to fit 24" bolt cutters, as used by DIY AK builders in the USA. The plan is to make the jaws from mild steel (probably won't last long) and fit them to a cheap pair of bolt cutters. The screw idea is simpler and less hassle though.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 12:16 PM, Greg Head said:

Sishing this build I've started another project using the full length Well G74B (AK74MN) but there is an issue with the rear trunnion rivets. The rivet that goes through the side rail and into the rear trunnion is slightly loose, does anyone know how it can be reset ?

It is worth to use some rivet nuts and rivet screws. Like this solution. 

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, guess I might as well join in on the fun before I figure out what to do with this thing. My Black Market Special, complete with old granny chair:
IMG_0942.JPG

WE PMC model with extensively hacked to bits I mean, gently modified Magpul furniture, MFT Battlelink Minimalist Stock, MacGyvered LCT dust cover and Veriforce charging handle extension. Internally it's got all the RA-Tech parts aside from the steel faux piston, FG-Airsoft low flow disk, Headquarters nozzle spring and the WE short-stroke kit.

Current problems: Does this weird thing where you can't insert a magazine unless the bolt is pulled back about a millimeter. Pushing the bolt forward then removing the magazine causes the bolt to cam back that same 1mm. The gun also refuses to shoot straight: it either overhops for the moon with .25s or the BBs do this weird curveball thing where they swerve up and to the left, then come back down and to the right. This all happens within 25yds; unknown if the problems are connected (airsoft gun headspacing, perhaps?).

IMG_0228[1].JPG

Also just recently did the JB Weld mod for the trigger box, but the pictures that were oh-so-helpful in doing it broke recently (like within the past couple weeks). Any chance of a re-upload?

Edited by CobaltRose
spaced writing in between the photos.
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...