WE AKS-74UN First Impressions (Pic heavy)

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This one was a WELL G74A. This project was crazy flustrating but finally finished - and fully working.  

Here is my 74UN. Had to mod the little metal piece that came with the Zenit stock, as it doesnt align with the hole on the WE receiver and also it was a little long.     Internals Orga Magnus 6.32mm

#grabpopcorn #lovethisfight #stubbornvsstubborn #clashofthetitans   Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Posted Images

About the rotational force. That would be inherent to the design. Increasing the tolerance between the springguide and the guide tunnel in the bolt and lightening the bolt could lighten the stress. But who'd want to lighten the bolt?

And yes, I meant 2nsprings in series, not parallel. Sorry ^^. I thought that way since it wouldn't self destruct that fast as a soft body like rubber. I see it happening here at some railroad applications.

Or 1 custom strength twisted recoil spring.

I dunno :). I'm no engineer ^^

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

^

Exactly.

Just adhered on with the sticky backing it comes with. You take out the (useless) old spring loaded buffer, cut a relief for the screw above it, trim bottom excess so recoil spring assembly can still be easily removed. Presto change-o: you get better rof while retaining full bolt stroke.

Edited by renegadecow
  • Like 2

Got a hold of the WELL clone. Initial inspection shows it to be a more or less 100% clone of the WE, with some simplifications done to make it easier to manufacture. Magazines are compatible, but I'll have to take it totally apart to check the FCG.

Externally, not as nice as the WE. But for the price it's an excellent start, plus they made CO2 magazines.

• Like 1

Awesome. Can you check if they provide the same FPS output? 

Really, really want to see a complete review / comparison of these guns

When I have the time I'll be doing a side by side comparison to my WE AKSU.

From first impressions though, the WELL magazine seal is much much harder than the WE one, so I dunno if it'll seal as well.

• Like 1

I got my RA-Tech trigger set in. Machining looks a little rough but it was a drop-in fit. It works beautifully. Only thing I have to worry about it the triggerbox breaking. :D I'm probably going to buy an extra trigger box and reinforce that one with the steel epoxy.

What's the point of the RA-Tech recoil kit(piston)? Is it simply just more recoil via a heavier piston? Does it help it cycle?

Edited by ST19AG_WGreymon

The gas piston is there just for aesthetics, and no matter what you try to do, it would never, ever break even if it was made of paper. Which is not.

Getting a steel one only adds weight, which turns the bolt heavier, which requires more gas to cycle. Nothing else than that. If you want more recoil (the WE AK is a pretty hard kicker to begin with) just use a stronger gas and limit the volume going to the nozzle with FG discs. 

It doen't even look better than WE's OEM one. This is what a 74U gas piston should look like:

AK-053BK.jpg

Team GBB's look much closer, still not identical because WE's design is even shorter than the real 74U
tgbb_weakusk_m.jpg

• Like 1

So at 10:00 at tonight I discovered a hair-line crack on the trigger box, in the usual place. :/ It's a good thing I bought steel epoxy the other day, I kind of anticipated this. It's only my third skirmish with this gun and I have another one in the morning. Needless to say I'm making emergency repairs tonight.

Really diggin the type D trigger.

Nope,  that just won't happen in stock internals.

Right...even though there are people out there who have had it crack on stock internals. O_o The area where the crack appears is rather thin in the first place and it might even come down to how it was formed when cast. So just because you got lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen. :) I'm not entirely saying that the steel trigger didn't accelerate the issue, it just seems a bit daft to say that if I had stayed using the stock internals it wouldn't have happened.